PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats cut 14 incl. Bryant and Gutierrez; 2 (Ruud, K. Smith to IR); Ross to R/NFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I hope that NEM hasn't seen the roster... He'll be apoplectic that Hobbs is the #1 (good call there Signbabybrady)

Bryant was not a shocker to me,A guy that was not good enough to try and keep on the roster of the friggin Lions keeps me aware of how lousy he really is.

I guess we have to see Mr. Cassel for awhile longer on the sidelines, but I am still holding out hope on a Veteran QB to be signed soemhow down the road.

Bryant gave the receivers too big a cushion and looked like a

rag doll being dragged into the end zone by the receiver.

BTW, I hope that NEM hasn't seen the roster... He'll be apoplectic that Hobbs is the #1 (good call there Signbabybrady)

Thanks, sometimes it seems I am the only one who sees great things out of Hobbs.

What got me so high on Hobbs was the way he played 2 years ago with the cast on. He improved on a good rookie year while playing with the cast and really used his hands well using the cast as a weapon and breaking up a bunch of plays with it.

Than last year he gutted it out on a bad groin and IMO played really good except that last play which no one seems to be able to shake and it blinds them.

Last edited:
:)

Yep, it's a weird, unbalanced roster. Reading deep into the tea leaves, some wild speculation on what it could all mean...

- Welker and Aiken aren't ready for week 1?
- Pats were already in negotiations with Willie Anderson before cuts announced?
- Pats were already in negotiations with Ty Law before cuts announced?

Regardless, it's hard to imagine that CJ Jones lasts the season on the 53.

BTW, a big congratulations to a terrific rookie class!

It looks like the Pats had to keep two men (Jones and Ventrone) to

cover the loss of Welker.

Congrats to all of the rookie draft picks and free agents!

Thanks, sometimes it seems I am the only one who sees great things out of Hobbs.

What got me so high on Hobbs was the way he played 2 years ago with the cast on. He improved on a good rookie year while playing with the cast and really used his hands well using the cast as a weapon and breaking up a bunch of plays with it.

Than last year he gutted it out on a bad groin and IMO played really good except that last play which no one seems to be able to shake and it blinds them.

In the words of Michael Jackson, "you are not alone". There's an odd perception that corners should never give up completions, yet even the lower echelon QBs are completing upwards of 60% of passes. Corners get blamed way way too much.

Just be ready for ALL the credit to go to Capers when the secondary is playing tight man shutdown coverage this year. Hobbs has been the #1 CB for more than this year IMO. :)

I cannot friggin wait for Hobbs to be playing more man coverage and less deep zones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Patriots make cuts

I don't get it, is this a re-building year? They has to be more changes coming down the pike.

you are forgetting Ventrone, that makes 6.

Yeah. Matt Slater a 2 side guy, too. Isn't he?
Versatility gets guys like these on the team, I think.

I don't get it, is this a re-building year? They has to be more changes coming down the pike.

What don't you get? Most people believe there are more changes.

1) Faulk will be back after the KC game
2) Neal will be eligible to return after the Denver game
3) I've heard differing reports on Ross. I've heard Reserve/ NFI and I've heard Reserve/PUP. If its NFI, I believe he can come back as soon as he passes a physical. If its PUP, its after the Denver game.
4) The Pats haven't started a season under Belichick with fewer than 4 OTs. I don't see this one being one either. I also don't see them carrying 3 C/Gs behind Koppen going into game one against KC. I, like others, are hoping for Willie Anderson.
5) CB seems to be a weak area. I wouldn't be surprised to see them add one and cut CJ Jones. I think going with 6 WRs is alot, but 8 is nearly unheard of.

Re: reiss breahdown of positions and thoughts...

I count 13 new players on the active roster, similar to past years with 20-25% annual turnover.

Wilhite, Wheatley, Ventrone, Slater, Lewis Sanders, O’Connell, Mayo, Lynch, Jordan, CJ Jones, Guyton, Crable, Aiken

I count 13 new players on the active roster, similar to past years with 20-25% annual turnover.

Wilhite, Wheatley, Ventrone, Slater, Lewis Sanders, O’Connell, Mayo, Lynch, Jordan, CJ Jones, Guyton, Crable, Aiken

Ventrone finished the season on the 53-man roster last year.

C.J. Jones spent the whole year on the practice squad last year.

3) I've heard differing reports on Ross. I've heard Reserve/ NFI and I've heard Reserve/PUP. If its NFI, I believe he can come back as soon as he passes a physical. If its PUP, its after the Denver game.
4) The Pats haven't started a season under Belichick with fewer than 4 OTs. I don't see this one being one either. I also don't see them carrying 3 C/Gs behind Koppen going into game one against KC. I, like others, are hoping for Willie Anderson.
5) CB seems to be a weak area. I wouldn't be surprised to see them add one and cut CJ Jones. I think going with 6 WRs is alot, but 8 is nearly unheard of.

I believe (well, know) the R/NFI rules as the same as the R/PUP, DaBruinz. The only reserve list where you can come back after a passed physical is Minor IR.

Last edited:

Andy Hart said this week that there were open lockers for #55, #24 (although Wilhite has it), and #80.

Yes, change is good but 8 O Linemen? it is not like they have played like gang busters. 8 is the typical amount dressed for a game, not much of margin for error. The backup QB sucks, backup LBs are questionable, secondary is interesting, Merriweather must be healthy and slotted in to play in nickle situations.

Thank you for posting the list of cut and potential matches in the other thread, that was useful and I appreciate it.

Call me crazy but I would feel better if they signed Harrington, Anderson, Law, Colvin and Seau. But too many signings makes it hard to extend Wilfork, which is also a priority.

How many veteran FAs made the team? Aiken, Sanders, Jordan, Lynch.. I guess the batted about 50/50 which will get you into the hall of fame.

Why do people keep saying its a surprise that the Pats kept 3 TEs?

2000 - Rutledge, Bjornson, Wiggins (replaced Bjornson)
2001 - Rutledge, Wiggins, Arthur Love
2002 - Fauria, Graham, Cleeland
2003 - Fauria, Graham, Fred Baxter,
2004 - Fauria, Graham, Watson (IR), Weaver (replaced Watson)
2005 - Graham, Watson, Fauria
2006 - Graham, Watson, Thomas, Matt Kranchick (PS)
2007 - Watson, Thomas, Brady, Rivers/Spach, Jason Rader (PS)

From what I see, keeping 3 TEs is the norm for BB, not the exception.

This ("final" 53) is always one of the most exciting threads of the year for me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ricky Manning Jr. as a likely fill-in for the thin secondary! Or has he already signed elsewhere? Anyway, I've made no secret that I would like to see Law back.

This ("final" 53) is always one of the most exciting threads of the year for me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ricky Manning Jr. as a likely fill-in for the thin secondary! Or has he already signed elsewhere? Anyway, I've made no secret that I would like to see Law back.
You see a Manning as a fit in NE? Too much MSG again! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots