PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats - Colts Divisional Round Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the colts are going to run it more that everyone here thinks. What kind of team wouldn't attack a teams weakness and attacks the strength?
If the Pats get up on the Colts early, which is very possible, they will not be running.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but 98.5 just reported that the ref crew for this game called the fewest penalties in the league this year. Combine that with the Pats and Colts, who were the two least penalized teams in the league (I think), and rainy weather, and this could be a dog fight.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but 98.5 just reported that the ref crew for this game called the fewest penalties in the league this year. Combine that with the Pats and Colts, who were the two least penalized teams in the league (I think), and rainy weather, and this could be a dog fight.

This is actually good news fir the pats it means our dbs can play physical man coverage which they excel at

For what it's worth (not much):

Since 2001 the Patriots are 8-0 in the playoffs when playing a team for the first time that season.

They don't use the regular season crews in the playoffs.

The head ref for our game, though, headed the regular season crew calling the least penalties. Pete Morelli: Inside Slant: The lenient Peter Morelli - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

The other refs, though, will not be from his crew but those refs grading out highly on regular season performance.

For what it's worth (not much):

Since 2001 the Patriots are 8-0 in the playoffs when playing a team for the first time that season.

So even before 2007 we are better when we had no game tape of defensive signals to dissect in order to get ready for a playoff opponent? This news would shock Patriots haters everywhere who want to give us asterisks.

They don't use the regular season crews in the playoffs.

The head ref for our game, though, headed the regular season crew calling the least penalties. Pete Morelli: Inside Slant: The lenient Peter Morelli - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

The other refs, though, will not be from his crew but those refs grading out highly on regular season performance.
Is it throughout the whole playoffs that they do that? I thought it was just the Super Bowl when the highest graded official at each spot gets the nod.

EDIT: Found this link that has some information. Says that while full crews don't advance to the postseason, at least three members of a regular season crew will work together.

nice catch....

all playoff games used to be 100% made up of so-called all star crews.

Crews are now kept partly intact for the wild card and division rounds, and that started several years back

couple simplistic things i'm concerned about the game:
1) Robert Mathis
2) Andrew Luck scrambling

Contain those two factors, and I like the Pats chances.

to summarize (some is repeated)

Head ref: Pete Morelli.

confirming link: Football Zebras | Analysis and commentary of the NFL's officials and the calls they make

claim to fame: least likely to call "coverage penalties", which includes defensive holding, illegal contact and defensive pass interference, than any crew in the league. Also calls the fewest offensive holding penalties

Inside Slant: 2013 NFL Referee Report - ESPN

His crew gained some attention when it called an almost unheard-of 2 penalties, total, in the Texans-Patriots game:

Inside Slant: The lenient Peter Morelli - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Tempering this is that the league no longer advances full officiating crews to the playoffs, but he will have at least 2 members of his crew with him (explained in the last link)

bottom line: expect a "let 'em play" approach

good, bad, or neither?

The new Chuck Pagano Colts are far less of a finesse bunch than the old Colts, but still on balance I think a loose game helps us, mostly with regard to Talib.

to summarize (some is repeated)

Head ref: Pete Morelli.

confirming link: Football Zebras | Analysis and commentary of the NFL's officials and the calls they make

claim to fame: least likely to call "coverage penalties", which includes defensive holding, illegal contact and defensive pass interference, than any crew in the league. Also calls the fewest offensive holding penalties

Inside Slant: 2013 NFL Referee Report - ESPN

His crew gained some attention when it called an almost unheard-of 2 penalties, total, in the Texans-Patriots game:

Inside Slant: The lenient Peter Morelli - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Tempering this is that the league no longer advances full officiating crews to the playoffs, but he will have at least 2 members of his crew with him (explained in the last link)

bottom line: expect a "let 'em play" approach

good, bad, or neither?

The new Chuck Pagano Colts are far less of a finesse bunch than the old Colts, but still on balance I think a loose game helps us, mostly with regard to Talib.

This is not entirely true. My dad is an NFL referee and playoff crews, while they may contain one or 2 officials from regular season crews, will predominantly consist of selected officials based on grades.

*Just a disclaimer for people who think I am lying. I don't mention this to brag in any way. I would only mention it when it came to correcting/educating people on a process that very few actually know about. If you knew the **** I had to go through, it wouldn't be worth bragging about. Its awesome that he refs in the NFL (he is actually one of the best referees in the NFL for the record) but the trade-off is significant on your personal life.*

This is not entirely true. My dad is an NFL referee and playoff crews, while they may contain one or 2 officials from regular season crews, will predominantly consist of selected officials based on grades.

The sports illustrated link earlier quoted Mike Pereira giving info that seems to contradict that:

"Pereira pointed out that while the league no longer advances full officiating crews to the playoffs, at least three members of each regular-season crew will work together now."

NFL confuses everyone by assigning Jeff Triplette to Cincinnati-San Diego*game | Audibles - SI.com

I am not saying you are wrong, just pointing out that at least Mike Pereira was quoted as saying they always pick 2 others plus the head ref. If a normal crew five guys or four?

The sports illustrated link earlier quoted Mike Pereira giving info that seems to contradict that:

"Pereira pointed out that while the league no longer advances full officiating crews to the playoffs, at least three members of each regular-season crew will work together now."

NFL confuses everyone by assigning Jeff Triplette to Cincinnati-San Diego*game | Audibles - SI.com

I am not saying you are wrong, just pointing out that at least Mike Pereira was quoted as saying something else.

I'll have to check on that number. From my understanding, I thought it was 2 but honestly I could be wrong. I do know that plenty of people on my dad's crew have not worked and he does have a game coming up so 3 may be the number.

*Just a disclaimer for people who think I am lying. I don't mention this to brag in any way. I would only mention it when it came to correcting/educating people on a process that very few actually know about. If you knew the **** I had to go through, it wouldn't be worth bragging about. Its awesome that he refs in the NFL (he is actually one of the best referees in the NFL for the record) but the trade-off is significant on your personal life.*
You could be correct. I was simply going by what was written in the article but Periera does point out in the video that in the case of last week, "at least 3 members of each ref's crew (work) with him." That, of course, doesn't mean that it will be like that for any future games.

I'll have to check on that number. From my understanding, I thought it was 2 but honestly I could be wrong. I do know that plenty of people on my dad's crew have not worked and he does have a game coming up so 3 may be the number.

Hey if you're dad is reffing a pats game in the near future make sure you tell him how much you love him :)

Hey if you're dad is reffing a pats game in the near future make sure you tell him how much you love him :)

Haha oh trust me man. He hears the Tom Brady love all the time. I met him last year (completely by accident leaving the locker room) after a game and almost passed the hell out hahaha. Him, Gisele and his son. It was one of the best days of my life haha.

Collins - Sam
Hightower - Mike
Fletcher - Will

With that said, if the Colts offense aligns three wide, the Patriots defense will likely counter with the nickel package.

Not meaning to act argumentative in any way or attempt to discredit what you're saying, but this is how Jeff Howe sees it:

Hightower--Sam
Fletcher--Mike
Collins--Will

This is a direct quote from his article this morning:

"In the 4-3, Fletcher would likely take Spikes’ spot in the middle with Hightower on the strong side and Collins on the weak side, though the latter two are interchangeable if necessary."

Depth charges | Boston Herald

Collins is going to be tested all game long. The game will be decided with whoever can get the other off the field the fastest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST