PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Claim DTs Quarles & Gaston (Update: Both Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaston looks like he can play football.

gaston.jpg

And hopefully this becomes Woodhead 2.0 where a team cuts a player who outplayed his competition in TC because he didn't have the pedigree/draft status of the competition and goes on to have the better career.In Woodhead's case, it was Joe McKnight a 4th round pick by Rex while he "inherited" Woodhead. Here you have a Giant's 2nd and 3 rd pick from this year (Bromley) outplayed by UDFA in Quarles.....

I'm really loving the stock piling of potential interior line disruptors. We've gone basically forever having a grand total of 0. We tried once or twice with guys like Mike Wright but it never worked.

Starting last season we had Tommy Kelly and Chris Jones both doing good things inside and liked the results.

Entering 2014 we have as DT's:
Dominique Easley
Chris Jones
Kelce Quarles
Bruce Gaston

As well as having both Chandler Jones and Zach Moore who have spent time playing the inside pass rush role.

If all of these players combined can fill the role of a Geno Atkins over the course of a game I'll be thrilled. We might actually see a legitimate pass rush in 2014, not something that gets called a "pass rush" because we get cover sacks, but an actual RUSH, where quarterbacks hurry!

• Ha Ha
Reactions: ALP
So according to Wikipedia, Quarles is Ben Coates' nephew. Excellent.

Sure it is, although I don't think Wilfork was 325 since middle school. I take all listed weights with a hefty grain of salt. Vellano simply doesn't look or play like his listed weight.

The Combine was just a few months ago and they do official weigh ins there.

Quarles was an official 297lbs as of a few months ago. Whether he's gained a bit or lost a bit, he's still in that same weight range today. He's definitely not 260 like someone suggested

I'm really loving the stock piling of potential interior line disruptors. We've gone basically forever having a grand total of 0. We tried once or twice with guys like Mike Wright but it never worked.

Starting last season we had Tommy Kelly and Chris Jones both doing good things inside and liked the results.

Entering 2014 we have as DT's:
Dominique Easley
Chris Jones
Kelce Quarles
Bruce Gaston

As well as having both Chandler Jones and Zach Moore who have spent time playing the inside pass rush role.

If all of these players combined can fill the role of a Geno Atkins over the course of a game I'll be thrilled. We might actually see a legitimate pass rush in 2014, not something that gets called a "pass rush" because we get cover sacks, but an actual RUSH, where quarterbacks hurry!
I'm not going to read a massive amount into the signing of Quarles and Gaston right now but in one fell swoop, the Patriots may have added 3 interior disruptors in Easley, Quarles and Gaston if all manage to stick and work out.

Belichick and Caserio never cease to amaze me. They must plan for every conceivable scenario.

Watching the DT shuffle and still wondering why the hell they cut Tommy Kelly. I liked Quarles as a 3-4 round draft pick, so I'm glad they got him. Don't know Gaston at all.
same here. Don't know why they'd let Kelly go, but then pick up Gaston.

Arizona basically replaced Gaston with Kelly, and we picked up their scraps.

same here. Don't know why they'd let Kelly go, but then pick up Gaston.

Arizona basically replaced Gaston with Kelly, and we picked up their scraps.
That's not necessarily true. Kelly was brought in as Darnell Dockett was placed on IR.

The Combine was just a few months ago and they do official weigh ins there.

Quarles was an official 297lbs as of a few months ago. Whether he's gained a bit or lost a bit, he's still in that same weight range today. He's definitely not 260 like someone suggested
We were actually discussing whether Velllano was his listed 300, of all things. I think he's our 14th DL now. Quarles plays stronger than his size and seems pretty intriguing.
Film review on New England Patriots DL Kelcy Quarles - espnBoston

Last edited:
I was surprised no one took him in the third. Prototypical 3-4 DE. If the Pats are playing more 3-4, he could really help.

I liked him better than second rounders Timmy Jernigan or Ego Ferguson.
Exciting.

I don't think Quarles is a "prototypical 3-4 DE" at all, though I think he has enough versatility to play the 4/5 tech. I think he compares most to the guys you mentioned, Jernigan and Ferguson, and projects best to the 0/1 tech in terms of his skill set, though he's undersized for that role. Grid called him a Grizzly in a Wolf's body, or something to that effect.

Mike Reiss had this to say in his film breakdown of Quarles' preseason games:

Projects to the interior, has scheme versatility: Quarles mainly played three different techniques in the New York Giants' 4-3 alignment -- head up on the center (0 technique), shaded on the center (1 technique) and shaded on the outside shoulder of the guard (3 technique). He is a physical, strong player with long arms (33 1/4 inches). When he gets his hands into an offensive lineman and extends his arms, he is most effective and shows the ability to control blockers. While he is not a quick-twitch dynamic rusher like first-round draft choice Dominique Easley, he did display short-area quickness, twice penetrating over the left guard's outside shoulder and beating an attempted block down the line of scrimmage from the left tackle. He also showed notable speed (for a player his size) and effort in chasing Colts quarterback Chandler Harnish to the sideline on a scramble.

Film review on New England Patriots DL Kelcy Quarles - espnBoston

Quarles got a ton of clean-up sacks last year because of Clowney's presence, causing people to mis-label him as a penetrating DT. He's not. He has some "short area quickness" as Reiss notes, but he doesn't have much burst or mobility, as his workout numbers attest. He's a high-effort guy with very good hand usage who plays much stronger than his size.

Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting had the most interesting scouting report on Quarles, IMO:

With Kelcy Quarles, NFL teams will love the versatility he provides upfront as a potential shade nose tackle or 3-technique across four man fronts. Doing an outstanding job of fitting his hands off the snap and bench-pressing blockers away from his frame, Quarles creates distance from the blocker to read and react at a high level. More importantly, Quarles showcases plus vision for the football and the instincts to be an every down playmaker on the defensive line.

As a backfield disruptor, it was Kelcy Quarles and not Jadeveon Clowney, who led the Gamecocks in tackles for loss (13.5) and sacks (9.5) this past season. Although big and lined up most often at the 1-technique position, Quarles can win in a multitude of ways as a pass rusher. As noted earlier, Quarles displays excellent quarterback vision and read-react skills due to his arm balance or ability to play with locked out arms. Whether he’s collapsing the interior with a bull rush or disengaging with a counter move, Quarles’ game is predicated on winning the initial hand positioning off the snap.

Quarles could stand to trim up his midsection and improve his stamina, as he does not often play more than two or three consecutive series. Still, even with his top-heavy frame, I’m impressed with the lateral movement skills and balance exhibited while working off blockers. Directing the action at the point of attack, Quarles active and powerful hands enable him to consistently win one-on-one situations against the run. As for facing double teams, Quarles routinely turned his shoulders and failed to prevent movement to the second level. In these instances, I question whether or not Quarles is a true 1-technique or if his quickness and playmaking skills are best suited at the 3-technique. Each draft grade is fluid, but at this preliminary stage I’d characterize Kelcy Quarles as a late 2nd round prospect.

2014 NFL Draft: Kelcy Quarles, Vic Hampton Aiming for Top 100 Picks After Declaring | Optimum Scouting

I think that's spot-on: very strong for his size, excellent hand usage, ability to take on and re-direct blockers, good vision and ball awareness, and some short area quickness and lateral mobility. Quarles' game is "predicated on winning the initial hand positioning off the snap", not on getting initial penetration. He's something in-between a 1 and 3 IMO, with enough versatility to play the 4/5 or even 4-3 LDE in a 4-3 Under (think Red Bryant).

I don't think Quarles has a dominant set of physical tools. But, like Bryant, I think that BB could turn him into a very valuable workhorse on the DL. His "Combat Tactics" are exceptional. Bulk him up to 310# or so and you'll have a very solid rotational tool at 3 or 4 different positions.

Last edited:
As other posters have said we will see who sticks once the status of Easley, Jones or Sigila is clarified. That Miami heat is tough on the big guys. At this point while BB clearly has eyes towards the future, hes gotta make sure he has enough functional lineman that he can rotate in and out for Sunday.

I don't think Quarles is a "prototypical 3-4 DE" at all, though I think he has enough versatility to play the 4/5 tech. I think he compares most to the guys you mentioned, Jernigan and Ferguson, and projects best to the 0/1 tech in terms of his skill set, though he's undersized for that role. Grid called him a Grizzly in a Wolf's body, or something to that effect.

Mike Reiss had this to say in his film breakdown of Quarles' preseason games:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4767257/film-review-on-patriots-dl-kelcy-quarles

Quarles got a ton of clean-up sacks last year because of Clowney's presence, causing people to mis-label him as a penetrating DT. He's not. He has some "short area quickness" as Reiss notes, but he doesn't have much burst or mobility, as his workout numbers attest. He's a high-effort guy with very good hand usage who plays much stronger than his size.

Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting had the most interesting scouting report on Quarles, IMO:

http://optimumscouting.com/draft/articles-draft/2014-nfl-draft-kelcy-quarles-vic-hampton-aiming-for-top-100-picks-after-declaring.html

I think that's spot-on: very strong for his size, excellent hand usage, ability to take on and re-direct blockers, good vision and ball awareness, and some short area quickness and lateral mobility. Quarles' game is "predicated on winning the initial hand positioning off the snap", not on getting initial penetration. He's something in-between a 1 and 3 IMO, with enough versatility to play the 4/5 or even 4-3 LDE in a 4-3 Under (think Red Bryant).

I don't think Quarles has a dominant set of physical tools. But, like Bryant, I think that BB could turn him into a very valuable workhorse on the DL. His "Combat Tactics" are exceptional. Bulk him up to 310# or so and you'll have a very solid rotational tool at 3 or 4 different positions.

Thanks Mayo for putting this together. Very helpful. Seems like a kid who has a base of solid skills and physical ability who got caught in a numbers game in NY. Lets hope hes put the off the field stuff in the rear-view mirror..

I like these moves, I said here a few months ago that a line with Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead and Easley could not stay healthy by no means, so BB certainly read that and is going younger. In a deep draft like this last one, it was also expected many talented players on the waiver wire, so internally, the cutdown was not to 53 but maybe 50, they must have told some players "do not renew the apartment rent yet.."

Watching the DT shuffle and still wondering why the hell they cut Tommy Kelly.

Kelly's release has nothing to do with the DL waiver claims. NE cut him a week ago with no certainty of either of these players becoming available. Even if he had an idea they would, he couldn't be sure another team wouldn't also claim him.

And if you say that NE would have just claimed someone else, what does that say about their confidence in Kelly? That they would have rather taken any old waiver than stick with him?

No, Kelly was cut because for whatever reason - age, health, production, money - NE liked their other options better. The claims are just guys who coincidentally play the same position that NE was intrigued by.

Last edited:
Bruce Gaston is an impressive athlete:

Height: 6020
Weight: 308
40 Yrd Dash: 4.95
20 Yrd Dash: 2.96
10 Yrd Dash: 1.83
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 34
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 09'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.55
3-Cone Drill: 7.48

Does anyone know if we had Quarles in for a visit predraft?

Another really interesting draft report on Quarles, from the very astute Darren Page at DetroitLionsDraft:

Strengths: Often an overwhelming presence at the point of attack for blockers…Took over games for stretches…If he fires his hands, he can dominate at the point of attack, extend hands to separate, and find the ball with plus instincts…Tons of raw power in his hands and upper body…Always locates the football in a timely fashion…Accelerates to close down the line of scrimmage well as a run defender…Can chase down plays in the open field…Flashes of brilliance anchoring a double and holding his gaps if he keeps his feet on the ground…Walks interior pass blockers into the lap of quarterbacks, churns his legs…Has devastating hit ability when he gets to the ball or to quarterbacks…Plays with youthful exuberance, never stops pursuing.

Weaknesses: Small hands, average length, and lighter than most defensive tackle prospects…Odd body type, very top heavy…Struggles to maintain balance, ends up on the ground, either his chest or back, too often…Has too much bad weight for a tackle under 300 pounds…Disheartening combine performance with poor jumps and poor 10-yard split…Unorthodox style in terms of technique…Inconsistent pad level into contact…More of a snap anticipator than a tackle with an explosive get-off…Jumps into the neutral zone too often…Unable to split gaps and doesn’t make enough plays in the backfield…Inconsistent handling of double-teams…No discernable pass-rush moves, wholly reliant on power rushes…Doesn’t have an obvious positional fit.

Overall:

Kelcy Quarles was one of the surprise entries among underclassmen. He probably could have even used another year at the college level. That isn’t to say he’s a bad prospect, he’s just very raw. Quarles will be behind in terms of technique, hand usage, and pad level when he gets in an NFL camp. For him, the game came easy at through his reckless playing style and high effort. He’s the type of player who could run through a brick wall and not know he did it. Many opposing centers were that brick wall.

Don’t let Quarles’ statistics fool you as to his true production. A lot of his sacks came from blitz packages or other stunts where attention was put elsewhere. More simply put, the production Jadeveon Clowney should have had got shifted over to Quarles. In fact, Quarles is a bit limited as a pass rusher and will have to adjust to interior blockers that can anchor his power rush as an NFL player.

That’s where scheme fit comes in. As a whole, Quarles doesn’t fit any prototype. Not many teams are willing to play a 297 pound tackle on the nose, where he played for the Gamecocks. He’s not explosive enough through gaps to be a highly effective 3 technique either. Something has to give, because Quarles has too much room for growth to pass on more than twice. With more technical refinement, and hopefully a few added pounds of muscle mass, Quarles could be groomed into a 4-3 1 technique. He’s the type of defensive tackle you want to put across from the center and let him wreak havoc at the point.

Kelcy Quarles Scouting Report | Detroit Lions Draft

The full report is well worth reading, and includes several video clips with analysis.

All of these reports pretty much capture the essence of Quarles' game, and his basic dilemma: high-effort, great combat skills, very strong for his size and able to anchor, good vision and ball location; but undersized for an NT and not quick and athletic enough for a pure 3-Tech, not in the best of shape, limited athletically, and needing some technical refinement.

I'd like to see him used at multiple spots, but mainly as Page suggests: "With more technical refinement, and hopefully a few added pounds of muscle mass, Quarles could be groomed into a 4-3 1 technique. He’s the type of defensive tackle you want to put across from the center and let him wreak havoc at the point."

If having Quarles & Gaston means having less (or, preferably, none) of Joey Vellano, then I'm all in.

If having Quarles & Gaston means having less (or, preferably, none) of Joey Vellano, then I'm all in.

I used to feel the same way about Vellano, but I'm changing my tune a bit.

I think one of the posters put it best by comparing him to the defensive version of Brandon Bolden. While either player are going to do things that make up jump out of excitement, we could do a lot worse than having players who know the system, and have worked hard to make the team.

Hopefully, Vellano will work out much better than we initially anticipated. If not, I'm sure he'll be pushed to the back of the depth chart. In the meantime, I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place, which is give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST