PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Claim DTs Quarles & Gaston (Update: Both Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow BB sure does keep the players coming and going. Is it that he brings them in try's them out then sends them packing ,and keeps there name on the rolodex for future reference.

Both released per Field Yates on Twitter.

Huh. I had assumed that it was a tryout situation and expected one to be released, but it's a little disappointing that neither was worth keeping.

On the other hand, if the double signing was taken as a signal that Jones & Siliga weren't ready, can we take the double release as the reverse?

Wow BB sure does keep the players coming and going. Is it that he brings them in try's them out then sends them packing ,and keeps there name on the rolodex for future reference.
Exactly...Its smart business. Always keep a pipeline of players that you think fit the system and can help if things go sideways.

Just like a good manager in the corporate world- always be interviewing and talking to people...

Because he was older and an elevated injury risk?

Because they are all due back within a month or two (or less) and the team is higher on their long-term prospects than Kellys?

I have to admit to being confused why Kelly's release runs counter to the narrative of NE wanting more depth.

Absolutely. And if we assume that NE is going to run more 30 fronts, then only two of Mayo, Collins and HT are on the field in the base anyway, so overuse isn't that big of a concern. Even more so if Flemming can get on the field for 10-15 snaps a game.
That's not going to happen IMO
If we play 43 or 34 jones Ninkovich Hightower mayo and Collins will all be on the field

Dislike. I don't think Vellano's ceiling is very high and can't imagine Quarles wouldn't be a likely upgrade down the line.

Ah well.

Huh. I had assumed that it was a tryout situation and expected one to be released, but it's a little disappointing that neither was worth keeping.

On the other hand, if the double signing was taken as a signal that Jones & Siliga weren't ready, can we take the double release as the reverse?
Yes please

Sure, great to have seven DT's you can rotate.
Of course, it then raises the question on the LB's. The team could easily go from playing Jones/Silinga/Jones/Ninkovich at 90% of the snaps, for example, to Mayo/Collins/Hightower playing 90% of the snaps.

While that is, strictly speaking, true, it's a lot easier to play 90% of the snaps at 265 than at 325.

[What I wonder, though, is why it's easier for OLs to play close to 100% of the snaps at 300+ than it is for the DLs.]

While that is, strictly speaking, true, it's a lot easier to play 90% of the snaps at 265 than at 325.

[What I wonder, though, is why it's easier for OLs to play close to 100% of the snaps at 300+ than it is for the DLs.]

Defense is more tiring to play because offenses dictate the game. Defenses have to react.

Still wondering why they dumped Kelly when Belichick fells like "they don't have enough depth at that position"...

Still wondering why they dumped Kelly when Belichick fells like "they don't have enough depth at that position"...

I had the same reaction.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Aiken and White re-signed.

Aiken - might as well, unless Bill wants to poach McDermott from the Donkeys' PS;

White - I really, really hope not. Time to give talent a chance at backup LB (in addition to Fleming).
Still holding out hope that one of the vacant spots goes to either Mister Anderson or recent Ratbirds castoff Josh Bynes.

Last edited:
From Jeff Howe:

There is a strong belief defensive lineman Dominique Easley will make his debut in the regular-season opener, according to a source. That notion was furthered today when Easley wasn't listed on the injury report after sitting out the entire preseason to recover from a torn ACL in his right knee. ... The Patriots will likely make the final call on Easley before they travel to Miami on Friday afternoon. But right now, the disruptive lineman is on track to be unveiled against the Dolphins.

Source: Strong belief Dominique Easley will play against Dolphins | Boston Herald

Bummer, I honestly thought Quarles would stick.

If they are making space for a linebacker, I wonder if it's one of the three they recently worked out. Martez Wilson is certainly the interesting name but I was a fan of Derrell Johnson pre-draft and hope it will be him. He's very much like Hightower in terms of size and function - weighs about 260b, can play at 3-4 OLB but probably would function better as a 3-4 ILB and is a powerful player.

Last edited:
Ha! Boy was I off on this one! :eek:

Ha! Boy was I off on this one! :eek:
You weren't the only one. I was hoping one of the two could bring interior pressure to compliment Easley. Such is Belichick...

That's not going to happen IMO
If we play 43 or 34 jones Ninkovich Hightower mayo and Collins will all be on the field

This is something I'm very curious to see. Seems like a 4-3 really suits the personnel but I can't see Chandler or Rob with their hand down in a 3-4. If Miami is playing 3 WR, it'll be 4-2 presumably but with 2 TE, maybe some 3-4. I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back