PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats can avoid the Browns, Cowboys screw up and be multi-generational great

Status
Not open for further replies.

RecoveringCowboy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From the late 40's to the mid 60's the Cleveland Browns were an elite team with four NFL championship after they left the AAFL. In 1963, new owner Art Modell fires Paul Brown. Browns win their last NFL championship next year with Paul's players. Modell would remain owner for 30 more years - mediocre while remaining the Browns, but because of his marketing genius Modell would be inducted into the HoF - sound familiar? ;) Very infamously after bitterly opposing the Raiders move to LA and the Colts to Indianapolis, he moves the Browns to Baltimore to become the Ravens to become easily the most hated man ever in Cleveland. Also ironic is how Raiderlike the early Ravens logo looked.

Bwings.png

Stoopidy repeats itself

Background: Clint Murchinson Jr., son of oilman CM Sr., was arguably the Howard Hughes of NFL owners - he let Tex Schramm (GM), Gil Brandt (scouting) and Tom Landry (former Giants DC ;)) completely run the Cowboys. When fans wanted his head, Murchinson gave Landry a 10-year extension in 64. One of his many innovations was hiring the first quality control coach to scrutinize opponents on film - Ermal Allen.

In the 80's, Murchinson had a rare nerve disorder that would take his life in 87. The oil market tanked and left him bankrupt. He was not able to find an owner that would keep the team's interests paramount. He sold the Cowboys to Bum Bright, another oilman, realtor, banker in 84. Then Bright courted several partners when he sold the team in 89. Bright did not consider the best offer - he would only sell the Cowboys to someone that would fire Landry - period. After bragging for years they were great for not having a meddling owner - in comes the curse.

Of course I was saying Landry was like Belichick in many ways. Along with Brown, one of the great systems coaches. The one crucial difference is Landry in his last years became inflexible and let the game get ahead of him. For instance, if a team had plenty of linebackers, but short on linemen, I'd predict BB would go 3-4, but Landry would go 4-3 and make a linebacker a lineman or something.

So Jerry Jones would part with one, maybe two HoF coaches. Like Art Modell, he would split with Jimmy Johnson, win one more championship with the team his coach built, then descend into football hell. Another football idiot getting into the HoF for marketing. Still trying to Make America's Team Great Again.

Alt-history: Murchinson finds partners other than Bum Bright that look after the team. Landry and Schramm work out a deal that Dan Reeves stays and becomes Dallas HC by the end of the 80s. Probably not so great in the 90's, but consistent.

Whatever happened to the 49ers? George Seifert was a good successor to Bill Walsh, but they definitely unraveled. Worse, when Jim Harbaugh got them back to the SB, things melted down later and become a football dumpster fire.

An opportunity to be even better than the post-Noll Steelers

Give thanks that Robert Kraft is not Art Modell or Jerry Jones - seriously. Jonathan looks like he's going to let success continue. I know this run is not over, but I'd glad Kraft and Belichick have a plan so the next Pats HC is ready. Successful companies CEO's teach their lieutenants how to do it. This is what I hope is going on McDaniels, Patricia... I'm hoping for a culture that outlives BB when he steps down as HC. Maybe he stays on as GM for a few years.

The Pats already have an ongoing historic run - a dynasty exceeded only by maybe the 60's Celtics. I definitely see an opportunity for this to go on for years.

Last edited:
Not that I think McDaniels is an above average coordinator, but being a good coordinator does not make you a capable HC. Look at Rex Ryan. He is one example of many. And Josh was a nightmare in Denver. The man drafted Tebow in the teens. Even though most everyone was predicting him to be a bust. He turned out to be one the worst QBs ever.

I would give him a chance to prove me wrong. But I would be very skeptical. Definitely not excited. There would be absolutely zero guarantee that whomever we replace Bill with would come anywhere near replicating his success. Bill is the GOAT, a once in a life time type coach. Like MJ, Ortiz, Gretzsky. Let's just enjoy him while he is still here.

I was hoping he was grooming his son for the job. But his son has made it clear that he has zero interest.

Parcells said that the key to being a good HC is getting familiar with what you didn't coach as an assistant.

This is an ongoing story, but long-term it could still end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back