PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Bills preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will sit here and praise the Bills Dline and rushing attack rightfully so, as both are issues for us on the road.

But if we lose, if we even struggle one thing is sure to be overlooked, that man Kyle Orton.

He is better than Tannehill, Carr, Smith, and Dalton. I may give you Cassell but he won't be throwing the way he did week 2. Consider this our toughest challenge so far in the pass defense. Tebow took his job because they thought the season was over, then suddenly DEN played defense and nobody realized what Orton would have done with that turnaround on D.

One thing I think people are going to overlook is this was McDaniels guy for 2 years in Denver. I think he'll be giving Belichick and Patricia some input.

Kyle Orton is not a great QB but he is the type of QB that gives the pats fits he will take what the Defense gives him 3 yards 4 yards 3 yards first down that's not Andy Daltons game Orton is not better then Dalton he is just a better match up vs the pats Defense,

but I am not worried about the bills offense its there DL that is scary and the pats so far have been up and down on the road to say the less but it should be a win not a easy one but a win

Sammy Watkins scares me a bit, but I think Revis can lock him down. I think a rotation of Browner and Dennard can easily contain Mike Williams outside, and Arrington can handle Woods in the slot. The run game and Jackson do concern me, but so did the Bengals' run game. If the Pats get out front and force the Bills into playing catch up and mostly receiver-heavy sets, a win shouldn't be too hard. Conversely, falling behind early and allowing Buffalo to play ball control with Jackson & Spiller and Orton making high-percentage short routes can make things difficult.

On the other side, I would like to see a continued emphasis on the two-TE sets and especially running the hurry up. If they can run the ball well, take some shots (c'mon Tyms!) and control TOP, should be a good way to set up the D and get the win.

No, no he is not. He is an elite backup and a starter that you are constantly looking to upgrade.
Whatever you need to say is fine with me.

Dalton is garbage without a top WR in Green bailing him out, his stats last night are a result of him making plays when either Revis/McCourty were out. He was Sanchez for most of the game.

Orton is a guy who can go in any offense and be above average, he isn't Manning but he is better than a lot of the starting guys who get bailed out. I want us to win big too, but I am not going to pretend Orton isn't a factor, he is the biggest factor if you ask me, Jackson, Spiller, and the young WR (Watkins) in BUF are not going to just carry a win over NE by themselves. This is the biggest move in our division benching EJ for Orton, he thrives on people sleeping, he doesn't like to be the man as I have seen these 7 years, but if he has to be the man to get his check he is cold blooded and I am telling you guys to stop sleeping on him.

The fact everyone is dissing Orton is actually making me nervous, it gives up an Eli in the SB vibe because it is about everyone but him, smh.

the buffalo jills? pshhhh

Only way Buffalo wins is if our week 1~4 offensive line shows back up.

McDaniels needs to come up with creative ways to run the ball.

Another Ryan type defense that's know how to confuse and rattle Brady like KC did.

I actually think the Bills pose some real challenges for the Patriots. Their DL is nasty and they have really good talent at the skill positions. As with Cincy they need to get ahead and make them get away from their gameplan. I think Revis shuts down Watkins but their run game will be tough to deal with. they need another really good offensive performance to keep Spiller and Jackson on the sidelines.

I actually think the Bills pose some real challenges for the Patriots. Their DL is nasty and they have really good talent at the skill positions. As with Cincy they need to get ahead and make them get away from their gameplan. I think Revis shuts down Watkins but their run game will be tough to deal with. they need another really good offensive performance to keep Spiller and Jackson on the sidelines.

I agree. I think they are probably the legit #2 team in the AFC East this year, in a way that's not just a strange anomaly. Orton is an upgrade too. Definitely a challenging game, but if the offensive line holds up, it's a Patriot W. I bet our defense performs really well against them.

D is only giving up 316 yards per game. 4th best in NFL.
Buffalo gives up 322..8th best.

NE Gives up 196 passing 3rd best
Buff gives up 251...21st in NFL so below average

Buff is only giving up 71 yards rushing a game...best in NFL and 17.8 PPG 8th best.

Darues and Williams has 8.5 sacks between the two of them so they do have a good front line. O line will be key. If OL plays like MIA or Oak game...could be in trouble.

Also they are #1 in the NFL in 3rd down D...only giving up a first 31% of the time. Pats are at 41%

This game will be much closer then Cincy. They know each other and took us down to the wire last year THERE. They are a confident bunch. But i just don't see Orton pulling out the W and don't see how they are 3-2. Should be 2-3 from last week IMO

The only way i see Buff winning is if their DL steamrolls our OL. If our OL can hold up like the Cincy game...we win

And some good quotes from the bills forum...

I think for the first time since the Brady won the first Super Bowl we have the better overall team. I know the Pats are favored by 3 1/2 but I believe this game is the Bills to win. The Pats can't have everything go right for them two weeks in a row.

Their defense doesn't scare me anymore, except Vince Wilfork's propensity to injure people, which should scare everyone always.

Don't get these ones...but ok

brady and the patti cakes just dismantled a darn good defense last night. i wouldnt get hopes up to high here.
Bills have a better roster.

But for the most part a good chunk are still skeptical especially after seeing what we did to the bengals.

As has already been alluded to, it's how the OL handles the Bills' DL that is a major key to this game. If they can handle the 4-man pass rush and force the Bills to use blitzes to get pressure, then it could be a fun day for Brady and Gronk.

I think Orton is a big upgrade over Manuel, but wasn't the knock against Orton the same as it is against Stafford? The guy can rack up yards, but doesn't always do what it takes to score. Perhaps someone can inform me here.

I'm damned curious how Browner is going to be deployed out there. Revis on Watkins seems like the most probable scenario, in which case, I agree with the others. He should shut him down.

Jackson...****in Jackson. If he's 100%, that's the guy who worries me the most.

I hate the Bills but have to admit Orton is a total boss.
BzObvaRCUAER0Ms.jpg

He looks vaguely like Hans Gruber here, doesn't he?

1658_jpg_v_0.jpg

And some good quotes from the bills forum...
Their defense doesn't scare me anymore, except Vince Wilfork's propensity to injure people, which should scare everyone always.

Bills fans always trot this one out. Their perception of Wilfork as some sort of savage, Suh/Pollard-like monster is so odd

Bills fans always trot this one out. Their perception of Wilfork as some sort of savage, Suh/Pollard-like monster is so odd

It's because he got a roughing the passing call against Losman(?) several years back. Their focus on that is strange, I agree.

On offense, what I'll be looking for the most is how our interior OL handles their DT's. The Bengals are good, but Peko is not Dareus. How they handle the Bills edge rushers also should be interesting. If Wright picks up where he left off against Cincy, we should have a nice mismatch with two TE sets since the Bills don't have the personnel to match up with that.

Defensively, Revis should be shadowing Watkins (obviously) with Browner or Dennard on Woods. Their running game may give us some issues unless we can scheme against it, which will be easier if McCourty is available to assist with either Browner or Dennard. In all, I'm looking for a tough game but it's one that we can certainly win.

IMO, this game will come down to who wins the battle in the trenches. The Patriots, hopefully, have found their five starters on the o-line and the unit will look to to build momentum this Sunday against a darn good Bills defensive front.

Offensively, I'd like to see a similar game plan to the one from this past Sunday, using more 12 personnel and Develin as an H-back. True, it would philosophically be attacking a perceived strength of the Bills defense, but I feel that in a hostile environment, it is important have a good mix of the running game in there early, as well as more max protection schemes against a good pass rushing front. If the Patriots can rush for over 200 yards against the Bengals, then I do not see why they can't be successful against the Bills, albeit probably not to the extent we saw a couple days ago.

Defensively, I'd like to see the Patriots continue to play more man press on the outside, disrupt the routes and timing with Orton and his receivers.

The run defense was pretty good against the Bengals, who have a better rushing attack than the Bills. The front seven will have to play disciplined, of course, but hitherto, the Bills offensive line has been mediocre opening holes in the running game, IIRC.

If the Patriots jump out to an early lead, they could get a little more cavalier with the blitzes, and take some more chances to create turnovers that could put the game/crowd away early.

I think Orton is the kind of check-down/game manager that will take what the defense gives and minimize risks. Going back to the types of defenses we primarily saw earlier in the season would work to his advantage.

All in all, if the Patriots play more man press schemes between the 20s and save some of their zone packages if/when the Bill break the red zone, I think that is how it should be done against the Bills offense.

The Patriots no longer have the difference makers on offense to just show up and light up the scoreboard. But they can be just as successful if they win the LOS and execute their assignments in all three phases of the game.

He looks vaguely like Hans Gruber here, doesn't he?

1658_jpg_v_0.jpg

By Grabthar's hammer, he does.

Just looked it up and I'm relieved that Brady won't have to learn time zones for this away game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3