PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats best use for Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost took this seriously...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Read some articles from a year ago discussing the Derek Anderson situation. Breakout performance in his first year as a starter. Got his team to the brink of the playoffs. Tendered as a free agent. Looking for a 1st round draft pick in a trade. Vikings being a prime candidate.

G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
16 527 298 56.5 32.9 3,787 7.2 236.7 29 5.5 19 3.6 78T 53 6 14 109 82.5

My point is that the Browns should have shipped off Anderson while the getting was good. Even for less than a first round pick. He certainly didn't help the Browns to more wins or improve his trade value in 2008.

Cassel's trade value is as high as it is going to get, at least while he is with the Pats. And he does need to go eventually. Cassel is being evaluated for his 2nd half performances (multiple 400 yard games, multiple 100 rating games, solid in foul weather, etc)...just like Derek Anderson was being evaluated for almost taking a poor Browns team to the playoffs. Time to sell before the stock starts to tank.

Read some articles from a year ago discussing the Derek Anderson situation. Breakout performance in his first year as a starter. Got his team to the brink of the playoffs.
Cassel's trade value is as high as it is going to get, at least while he is with the Pats. And he does need to go eventually. Cassel is being evaluated for his 2nd half performances (multiple 400 yard games, multiple 100 rating games, solid in foul weather, etc)...just like Derek Anderson was being evaluated for almost taking a poor Browns team to the playoffs. Time to sell before the stock starts to tank.

Absolutely a good point ...he is in all likelyhood being shopped as we speak. And it is a no-brainer to accept multiple first day draft picks if offered. Get high draft picks and clear cap space same time (Win - Win scenario). I think most on the board will agree as evidenced by the responses to this thread and other threads.

The big question in my mind (and reason I started my 'first ever thread') - is what do you do if you DON'T get a windfall trade offer? Do you ship Cassel off with a pat on the back and a box of chocolates for only a 3rd rounder ? (just to basically clear up cap space). Or is his value to the team greater than that so worth keeping him in the short term and trade him later as the season draws near when Bradys status is clearer/ or during the season after a few starts (if TB not 100%).

This whole 'risk / reward' scenario got me thinking about what our options are at QB to start week 1 and how can (having ACL reconstruction myself) Brady be near even 90% only 11 months after surgery (season opener). I never got 100% flexion back in my knee (extention vs flexion) and I only blew out one ligament - not 2 like TB. But enough about me......take my wife.......seriously! (R. Dangerfield).

Anyway, as the combine starts today and the last franchaise tags are applied before the deadline - this thread will most likely fade away into the obscurity of irrelevancy. I wanted to thank all posters (and readers) on my first ever thread posting. I thought I came up with a novel idea on how to handle the situation that I had not seen before posted in this forum. Not all or many agreed with my ideas but that is just fine - I hope I gave all some food for thought. To me the whole risk / reward and concept of QB insurance is quite interesting. Thanks again and greetings from Denmark - land of Tuborg and Carlsberg beer.

Last edited:
yeah..there is no way Brady is going to be 100% in September. That is just my gut feeling.

Why do you think so? I mean a whole year to get over an ACL tear is a LOT more than other sports pro's have taken to get back to full fitness and playing again

He'll be fine in camp .. why do you think the Pats and Tom aren't saying how he's doing publicly? Because they're smart thats why and sandbagging so as not to upsey the league when we trade a franchised player

If Cassel were traded tomorrow, give it a week and all you'd hear is how well TB was

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News