PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots vs Bengals Post-Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I think that Gronk can be the difference maker. Some people are trying to say we will still suck but I disagree. You get Gronk and Ridley back and our offense is more than capable of putting up 30 points here and there.

Don't forget Vereen too out of the backfield

Before we start thinkin about Saints we must first be ALL be healthy and then be insync on offense and I dont mean J Timberlake & boys.

Let me rephrase that thinkin about Denver.

I guess most people forgot we started off 1-2 and then 3-3 last year, with a kick-ass offense and it actually took an OT win in game 7 over the Jets, where Sanchez turned over the ball for us to get over the hump.

In war, and in football, you can easily see the cowards who bail out at the first sign of trouble.

Really?

Because Belichick gave Brady weapons and they had the high scoring offense and it ended up in 2 losses in the SB, a one & done and a loss to the Ravens in the AFCC game.

It's also not Belichick's fault his all world TE is Derrick Rosing it right now.

You know, I agree anyone saying Brady is done or Belichick should be executed is a moron. But I just don't understand this revisionist argument. The Patriots had a high power offense, but couldn't win a Super Bowl. Therefore high powered offenses are bad? Wasn't the total lack of a competent defense a big reason the Pats couldn't get it done too? Do you need a good defense in the playoffs, when your offense will be shut down more often? It doesn't mean you can get away without having any offense whatsoever. And Belichick has chosen to field the rooks that he has. So far it's kinda sucked, and that won't suddenly improve just by Gronks presence. It's going to be a gradual thing. Whether that means this year is rebuilding or not, remains to be seen.

2011 was at the end of the game. You can't stop from spraining your ankle sometimes. He made it through his first 46 games unscathed.

Oh I'm sorry. 2011 doesn't count, then. That injury certainly had nothing to do with the SB loss.

:rolleyes:

Peyton making a mockery of the Cowboys

You're making the same mistake Smith made last week coaching the Falcons.

The goal is to actually win the game, not to postpone losing the game. While winning and postponing losing may sounds like the same thing, they actually aren't.

Kicking the FG postponed losing the game (if they had gone for it and not made the TD the game would have essentially been over at that point), but trying for the TD would have maximized their chances of winning the game.

Given how horrid the offense had played all game and that they only got that close due to a lucky big play, that was all the more reason to have gone for it at that point. No guarantee they'd ever get that close again -- especially how they were playing.

That makes no sense.
If you kick the FG you give yourself a chance to win the game.
If you go for it and do not get it, you lose.

You know, I agree anyone saying Brady is done or Belichick should be executed is a moron. But I just don't understand this revisionist argument. The Patriots had a high power offense, but couldn't win a Super Bowl. Therefore high powered offenses are bad? Wasn't the total lack of a competent defense a big reason the Pats couldn't get it done too? Do you need a good defense in the playoffs, when your offense will be shut down more often? It doesn't mean you can get away without having any offense whatsoever. And Belichick has chosen to field the rooks that he has. So far it's kinda sucked, and that won't suddenly improve just by Gronks presence. It's going to be a gradual thing. Whether that means this year is rebuilding or not, remains to be seen.

Defense allowed ~13 ppg our last Superbowl run. The first one was low scoring as well.

If you don't score more than 22ppg, it's kind of hard to blame it on the defense since that's what the AVERAGE offense scores in this league. So despite the fact the offense was great in the regular season, it sucked in the big games.

So maybe a new approach at a different offense, is not such a bad idea.

Damn right, other than the winningest QB of his time. That aside he sucks with Belichick.

And what is actually "f#cking embarassing" is the whining from you and all of the other b.tch posters. That's really embarassing.

Really and truly pathetic, possibly the biggest bandwagon fans in all of sports.

I wish some of the bandwagon Johnny-come-latelies would go root for the red sox and give up football.

I guess most people forgot we started off 1-2 and then 3-3 last year, with a kick-ass offense and it actually took an OT win in game 7 over the Jets, where Sanchez turned over the ball for us to get over the hump.

In war, and in football, you can easily see the cowards who bail out at the first sign of trouble.

Indeed indeed. We're 4-1, and our defense is rock solid at the beginning of the season. If you recall past seasons, we tend to have defensive woes left and right in the first several weeks before improving down the road. Hope this stays true for our defense.

Gronk, Ridley, and Vereen will take our offense out of pit it's in.

The current state of the 53 man roster…

The fact Belichick has this team at 4-1 right now is the greatest accomplishment of his career bare none, the current 53 man roster is pitiful and that’s putting it nicely.

Expecting to be a great or even good team with your roster made up of players like this is a disappointment waiting to happen.

The injured and missed:

• Rob Gronkowski
• Danny Amendola
• Stevan Ridley
• Matthew Slater
• Aaron Dobson
• Kenbrell Thompkins
• Tommy Kelly*

*Injured today and despite his temporary return I believe further testing will reveal a serious injury that will result in significant time missed.

The injured and and not missed:

• Will Svitek
• Leon Washington
• Tavon Wilson
• Austin Collie

The why are they still on this roster:

• Chris Jones
• Matthew Mulligan
• Ja’Gared Davis
• Kanorris Davis
• Chris Barker
• James Develin
• Chris White

The healthy but contribute nothing:

• Jake Bequette
• Josh Boyce
• Duron Harmon
• Nate Ebner
• Dane Fletcher
• Steve Beauharnais

The names that shouldn’t be read by the announcers during starting lineups ever:

• Joe Vellano
• Michael Hoomanawanui
• LeGarrette Blount

You can give me grief for this post but let’s not kid ourselves here – this roster is not well constructed right now and any suggestion otherwise is a fail.

I will add 1 final point – I know some players are hear for development and special teams but that does not change the overall scope of this roster.

I'm not afraid to express my frustration at the Pats front office and BB. That being said, I'm not on suicide watch after today's game. D played well, and our O had a bad game, mostly due to pressure by their very good front 4. Did I also mention they have good to great dbs? This was a road game against a very good defense. Losses happen in the NFL. It's a very competitive league. We seem to be in the thick of things year after year for over a decade. Do people appreciate just how difficult it is to accomplish this? I think we're gonna be ok.

Oh I'm sorry. 2011 doesn't count, then. That injury certainly had nothing to do with the SB loss.

:rolleyes:

And getting injured was his fault, obviously. :rolleyes:

I like how rather than let people vent the "real fan" police show up.

Don't forget Vereen too out of the backfield

Offense was missing it's 3 best offensive players today Gronk, Vereen and Ridley. And Amendola was probably 65-75 percent out there.

It's very tough to win the NFL when you don't have your 3 best offensive players are out there and the 4th is playing injured

That's why i'm really not worried. Because if Gronk, Vereen and Ridley are out there today Pats probably win this going away.

Defense allowed ~13 ppg our last Superbowl run. The first one was low scoring as well.

If you don't score more than 22ppg, it's kind of hard to blame it on the defense since that's what the AVERAGE offense scores in this league. So despite the fact the offense was great in the regular season, it sucked in the big games.

So maybe a new approach at a different offense, is not such a bad idea.

Can't disagree with this, though I will say that the Baltimore game last year or the Giants game winning drive in the SB are the defensive failures I was thinking about. But yeah, an offense that isn't shut down the moment defenses clog the middle would be nice. I just don't know if what we have right now is that answer.

Offense was missing it's 3 best offensive players today Gronk, Vereen and Ridley. And Amendola was probably 65-75 percent out there.

It's very tough to win the NFL when you don't have your 3 best offensive players are out and the 4th is playing injured

That's why i'm really not worried. Because if Gronk, Vereen and Ridley are out there today Pats probably win this going away.

Gotta win with the players you have. Are you confident that Gronk, Vereen, Ridley and Amendola will ever all be out there at 100%?

And getting injured was his fault, obviously. :rolleyes:

I never in the least bit said it's his fault. I did insinuate his recent health woes were a TREMENDOUS clue that his production would be affected this season. (Even if he didn't miss games, his conditioning was bound to be off for a little while.) And we certainly knew this at all points during the offseason.

Once again, this is obvious.

My point stands, a game like this was bound to happen.

Also, everyone in the NFL knew it. That's why people made mention of Tom Brady having an amazing season this morning, even though his production looks pedestrian. Because... EVERYONE knew the receiving corps is pretty "meh".

That makes no sense.
If you kick the FG you give yourself a chance to win the game.
If you go for it and do not get it, you lose.

If you force a 3 and out afterwards you probably still have enough time to come back.

There was, what? 6:30 left? If the Bengals ran it 3 times and punted we'd get it back around the 50 yard line with 4:25 left and 3 time outs. Certainly not out of it by any stretch.

I like how rather than let people vent the "real fan" police show up.

There's venting, and then there's outright stupidity.

There's a difference between saying "X sucked today" and "Cut X."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick