PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots vs Bengals Post-Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are making exactly the same mistake I talked about. You are confusing "maximizing the chance of postponing losing" with "maximizing the chance of winning". Those are not the same thing.

You're right -- if you go for the TD there and don't make it, it's game over. But that does NOT mean that kicking the FG gives you the best chance of winning the game.

Here's an simple example to make it clear. And of course the numbers aren't as extreme in real life. Let's say at the moment in time they had to decide between going for the TD or kicking the FG they had a 50% chance of making the TD, a 100% chance of making the FG and they figured that given how crap the offense was playing that when they had their next possession they had a 20% chance of scoring a TD and a 60% chance of scoring a FG.

If they go for the FG:
100% of the time they get it, then 20% of the time after that they get the subsequent TD = 20% chance of forcing the game to OT (and so they lose 80% of the time)

If they go for the TD:
50% of the time they don't get it, and thus lose.
50% of the time they get it, then 60% of the time after that they get a FG which means that 30% of the time they force OT. And 20% of the time after that they get a TD which means 10% of the time they outright win.

Summing up:
* If they kick the FG they never lose the game at that moment, but they only force OT 20% of the time.
* If they go for the TD they lose the game at that moment 50% of the time, but they force OT 30% of the time and win outright 10% of the time.

Again, maximizing your chance to postpone losing (which is what kicking the FG does) is not the same as maximizing your chance to win, which this example clearly illustrates.

Now obviously how things work out depend on the exact numbers you figure applies to your situation. But it does show that a blanket statement of "you have to go for the FG there" is clearly wrong.

This crap was gone over last week, and the "go for it" crowd was completely wrong. Without taking context into account, it's useless.

Re: Re: The current state of the 53 man roster…

Fixed for accuracy.

I always love when people disagree with something yet they provide nothing in the form or content to justify it, that reflects a truly open minded poster.

There was nothing that failed about my post, the 53 man roster is not constructed well and if you feel otherwise you need to open your eyes. We lost 13 to 6 to a team that was blown out by the Cleveland Browns last week and the fact is if Tom Brady was not the QB of this team it would be hard pressed not to go winless for the season.

some of these "Pats fans" are morons from J.I., Ivan

don't forget that....that idiot McGimpley is here along with the SenileGump and other green haters...

Yep. I just have no patience for the crybaby crap. While there are plenty of intelligent patriot fans who appreciate what this team has accomplished over the past decade plus there is also a significant contingent of crybaby b.tches who simply look for any flaw or anything negative to latch onto and cry about. You would think this team is the jaguars given the b.tching these guys do.

Re: Re: The current state of the 53 man roster…

Because he had 1.5 sacks today?

Because assuming Kelly is injured we probably need more than Vellano at DT?

Did you see the 1.5 sacks, or just read his stat line? He was in the right place at the right time. He is a JAG just like Justin Francis was when everyone thought his 3 sack game last season was the first step in climb to stardom.

Yep. I just have no patience for the crybaby crap. While there are plenty of intelligent patriot fans who appreciate what this team has accomplished over the past decade plus there is also a significant contingent of crybaby b.tches who simply look for any flaw or anything negative to latch onto and cry about. You would think this team is the jaguars given the b.tching these guys do.

I'm appreciative of what the team has done in the past, but you think Belichick or Brady are sitting around going "gee, today wasn't very good but remember when we won the superbowl 10 years ago. Shoot dang we're awesome."

No

Re: The current state of the 53 man roster…

I always love when people disagree with something yet they provide nothing in the form or content to justify it, that reflects a truly open minded poster.

There was nothing that failed about my post, the 53 man roster is not constructed well and if you feel otherwise you need to open your eyes. We lost 13 to 6 to a team that was blown out by the Cleveland Browns last week and the fact is if Tom Brady was not the QB of this team it would be hard pressed not to go winless for the season.

Actually what you are doing is pissing and moaning about 3rd and 4th string players who have been pressed into action because of a horrendous run of injuries. And you seem to have this delusion that Belichick was supposed to stock the back end of his roster with pro bowlers and that he was irresponsible in not doing so. They are 4-1 and lost to a team everyone has winning the north and who has been to the play-offs each of the last 2 seasons. they are 4-1 despite having lost a number of there best players and you are complaining they aren't well constructed when in fact they are winning despite those key losses, and that's crap, a team that isn't well constructed never would have weathered this the way they have.

Sorry they haven't met your expectations, maybe you should wait until they get rid of Belichick and bring in someone competent to run the show.

If you force a 3 and out afterwards you probably still have enough time to come back.

There was, what? 6:30 left? If the Bengals ran it 3 times and punted we'd get it back around the 50 yard line with 4:25 left and 3 time outs. Certainly not out of it by any stretch.

The was less 4 minutes left. Its unrealistic to expect 2 get 2 more chances to score.
Your example seems to forget 2 scores are needed.

I agree with all of the injuries I don't see them winning 14 games 11 maybe even 12 wins sounds about right I just like this team so far this year because of the defense im hoping they get all the injured players on offense back come playoff time and make a big run, but for now I don't see them beating the saints next week lol

Nobody gets bad talent on purpose, but I have a soft spot for Pats teams that aren't in some ridiculous stratosphere, talent-wise... especially offensive talent-wise.

That said, of course I'm not saying I want the offense to suck so that it meets the D in the middle and we're a "balanced" team that can't win anything. Obviously, you always want talents on both ends of the field... but there's a Bellichickism about "building a team" versus "collecting talent."

It's almost like having to rise to the challenge is great for a defense. The ability to say "Eh sucks to be us, but Tom's got our back" -- of course I'm not saying they every said this, just having it in the back of your mind -- might be limiting for a D. I'm surprised to hear they're looking good w/o Vince. Hoping that continues... Give me a team that rises above a little adversity over an "annointed" team any day... next man up.

(Of course I wasn't saying that in 2007.)

If TFB was not the starting QB the person who turned in that performance today would been fired. Hugh Millen would have done better! Awful game. When the heck did the Bungholes turn into the 85 Bears! The freakin Browns beat them!!!!!

Because he had 1.5 sacks today?

Because assuming Kelly is injured we probably need more than Vellano at DT?

Because we need a Ja'Gared on our roster regardless of how good he is?

That name is tight.

So you prefer having a theoretical chance of winning for as long as possible over actually maximizing your chances to win. You're wrong, but duly noted.

No I prefer to maximize the chances of winning, and kicking the FG does that.
Your misunderstanding of this topic is duly noted.

Hint: When you read things that try to distract you with things like 'prolonging the theoretical chance of winning' they require independent thought not wholesale acceptance.

Staying in the game gives you a much better chance of winning it that clinching a loss does.

The was less 4 minutes left. Its unrealistic to expect 2 get 2 more chances to score.
Your example seems to forget 2 scores are needed.

No, there was 6:28 left, lol.

Did you see the 1.5 sacks, or just read his stat line? He was in the right place at the right time. He is a JAG just like Justin Francis was when everyone thought his 3 sack game last season was the first step in climb to stardom.

Chris Jones played well today.

Staying in the game gives you a much better chance of winning it that clinching a loss does.

Not when the price of staying in the game clobbers your ultimate chance to win.

I'm appreciative of what the team has done in the past, but you think Belichick or Brady are sitting around going "gee, today wasn't very good but remember when we won the superbowl 10 years ago. Shoot dang we're awesome."

No

Nope, I think they look at the problems they have and look at what has to be done to fix them, and they then do so, which is reflected by both their success and their record after thanksgiving. They always improve over the course of the season and i see no reason to believe this year will be any different. I don't think Brady looks at this season and says "man, i suck, i'm done," as some here are claiming, and I seriously doubt Belichick looks at his team and thinks about what a sucky job he has done putting it together, as others have suggested.

Not when the price of staying in the game clobbers your ultimate chance to win.

But it doesn't. It keeps you one score out.
The other way you are one score out if it works and 2 if it fails.

I know it, another wasted first rounder, and pretty much everyone in this forum called it when he made the pick.

Well it was going to happen sometime at least it was at the beginning of the season.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes