PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Vince Wilfork Planning a Return For 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice then is to get divorced so your wife isn't constantly *****ing at you that you're not as slim as the Tom Brady of the day

I'm Irish. We don't get divorced. We just deal with it and crawl into a bottle. My girlfiend, on the other hand, is a mutt. So she may divorce me.

I actually don't see how the big man doesn't come back and do very well. He was the best NT in the game. Even if he comes back without all of his strength, he will still be better than anyone we can hope to have as NT next year. You don't go from the best to useless just from one setback.

When younger I always figured that I'd care less and less about my weight as I got older. If anything the opposite has been true. I'm 40 and care more now then when I was 20 or 30. Probably because the rest of me is falling apart.

when I was 18 I could dunk a basketball...

these days I dunk a mean donut...the doctor measures my vertical in centimeters

I'm 27 and can still dunk. :D

That said, I'll freely admit that it isn't as easy as it used to be.

Vince looked like he added a few extra lbs when they showed him on the sideline on Sunday. Like 60 lbs.

Yeah he was looking plump... If had to guess I would say that he isn't training much if at all and all of his cardio activities have been eliminated, however his eating habits have remained the same. I imagine if you eat like a 350 lb. NFL nose tackle but don't incorporate the NFL training or games 60 lbs. will find you fast.

I love Vince but he needs to lose some belly, I have this opinion even before the injury, he's not only a strong man, he has the skills and football IQ, losing some weight would not affect his efficiency.

I have to believe Wilfork eats north of 10K calories a day. He is recognized as a hard worker so it's not laziness.

When we were primarily a 3-4 he must of been around 380 lbs. no exaggeration he was massive, then he looked good in 2012 like he lost a solid 50-60 lbs, then he came back this season looking like he found at least half the 50-60 he lost last year, on the sidelines on Sunday it looked like he found the rest of the 50-60 and the met some friends because he would easily tip the scales at 400 lbs. right now not a doubt in my mind probably closer to 425 lbs.

When younger I always figured that I'd care less and less about my weight as I got older. If anything the opposite has been true. I'm 40 and care more now then when I was 20 or 30. Probably because the rest of me is falling apart.

All kidding aside, it's a great move to watch your stomach tumor as you age. Plus working out also helps mitigate work stress and fatherhood craziness. So many older guys need avoidable knee replacement because of the weight of dragging that male pregnancy bulge around.

I could never dunk.
When I played hoops as an older guy the younger guys said to me, "You could probably slip 2 maybe even 3 sheets of paper under Phil's vertical leap." Bastards.

I actually don't see how the big man doesn't come back and do very well. He was the best NT in the game. Even if he comes back without all of his strength, he will still be better than anyone we can hope to have as NT next year. You don't go from the best to useless just from one setback.

The achilles injury is one that often doesn't heal as needed. It's possible that he'll have a full recovery and actually be better than before. It's also possible that he'll never play again.

Only two-thirds of National Football League players ever come back, and those who do find their performance significantly affected...

...Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The percentage of players returning to play at the NFL level is consistent with a meta-analysis performed by Bhandari4 in 2002. The authors reported return to function rates of 63% for patients treated nonoperatively and 71% for those treated operatively.

Return to football after Achilles tendon rupture | Lower Extremity Review Magazine

Lendale White never played in the NFL again after popping his, for example.

The achilles injury is one that often doesn't heal as needed. It's possible that he'll have a full recovery and actually be better than before. It's also possible that he'll never play again.

Return to football after Achilles tendon rupture | Lower Extremity Review Magazine

Lendale White never played in the NFL again after popping his, for example.
This study (which has been cited quite often on here) is from 1997-2002. Has there really been no medical advances in the last 10-15 that improve the chance of coming back?

I know LenDale White's injury was more recent, but he's not exactly a great example. Even in the season before he got hurt, his longest rush on 64 attempts was 11 yards. 37/64 of his carries went for 3 or fewer yards. He was going to be completely useless as a running back even if he returned at 90% of his previous athleticism. Are there other recent examples of better players than that?

This study (which has been cited quite often on here) is from 1997-2002. Has there really been no medical advances in the last 10-15 that improve the chance of coming back?

I know LenDale White's injury was more recent, but he's not exactly a great example. Even in the season before he got hurt, his longest rush on 64 attempts was 11 yards. 37/64 of his carries went for 3 or fewer yards. He was going to be completely useless as a running back even if he returned at 90% of his previous athleticism. Are there other recent examples of better players than that?

There have been changes in how the achilles tear is dealt with, and there have been some pretty good success stories (Suggs, Grimes, etc...). There are still disappointments, though (It was the achilles that ended Damien Woody's and Earnest Graham's careers, for example), and we should be prepared for either eventuality. I'm sure the Patriots F.O. is looking at it that way.

I think most of us actually have concern for Vince the person. It's not an insult to notice that someone has gained several dozen pounds.

I could never dunk.
When I played hoops as an older guy the younger guys said to me, "You could probably slip 2 maybe even 3 sheets of paper under Phil's vertical leap." Bastards.

Were you mad that they called you Phil instead of Pissah?

I think most of us actually have concern for Vince the person. It's not an insult to notice that someone has gained several dozen pounds.

dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

god i hope he proves so many people wrong! but in all honesty we have no clue how bad it is so theres that.

I sure hope he plans to lose weight and get in shape this time around. He was overweight and sloppy this season; he was getting pushed around without even being double-teamed. BB saw it and signed Kelly, but....come on Big Guy we all love you but you have to dial back off the cheesburgers and ease off a point or two on the milkshakes.

I can't help but think that his lousy physical condition made him more vulnerable to injury. Tom Brady was lost to the season with an injury the year he skipped the offseason program to jet-set all over the world for fashion shows.

You are counting on our medical and conditioning staff to be top notch, and take advantage of recent techniques?

Vince looked like he added a few extra lbs when they showed him on the sideline on Sunday. Like 60 lbs.
Well with an injury like that he can't do much in the way of exercise. Which for him being big in the first place is a double wammy.

Someone needs to tell Vince as you gain weight and get older you lose wood ... comes back with dieting and fitness.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back