PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

****** Patriots v. Dolphins post game thread ******

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense played well today. The better unit today IMO.

Loved the clock killing drive in the 4th. They couldn't run at all today until the 4th even when the Dolphins knew they were going to run. Brought back memories of Dillon.

A few weeks ago I thought SF would be the toughest game left, but since they can't seem to beat STL, I think next week's game will be the toughest. 13-3 doesn't seem that out of reach now.

Point taken but 49ers, Texans and Broncos have had crappy games recently. Those days offered little or nothing to tell us they can beat playoff teams when their offenses are held in check.

I absolutely agree with you. My initial post that got people jumping on me was just in response to Mayo's post and, given what the responses have been, it's been largely a case of people not understanding what I was saying.

I absolutely agree with you. My initial post that got people jumping on me was just in response to Mayo's post and, given what the responses have been, it's been largely a case of people not understanding what I was saying.

gottcha......

Please try to be a little more clear then, like a good man.

Last edited:

The way I read it, the Pats are just lucky to win because Tannehill sucks so bad.

Am I interpreting it wrong?

See, that's not what I'm saying. However, go find the team's record, post 2008, when they put less than 20 on the board. It's something like 1-9.

4-11, actually, which is good for 10th overall in that time span by percentage, and 4th for games with <20 points.

Then again, the best teams in the league still lose the majority of their games when they don't break 20.

Last edited:
The Pats lead the entire 60 minutes and win by 7...on the road...in Miami...a place where Tom Brady has had some of the worst games of his career...a place the Pats didn't win in for 20 seasons..they clinch the division with 4 games left...and all noise is Lloyd is real real bad and Brady is bad and they "better watch out!!!!"

rename this the "Nancy and Sally Have a Good Cry" thread.

4-11, actually, which is good for 10th overall in that time span by percentage, and 4th for games with <20 points.

2009: 1-3 regular season, 0-1 playoffs
2010: 0-2 regular season, none in playoffs
2011: 0-1 regular season, 0-1 playoffs
2012: 0-1

Total: 1-9

The question about the Patriots is whether or not they can beat playoff teams when the offense gets held in check. Today offered nothing to tell us that they can. They struggled to beat the Dolphins and Ryan freakin' Tannehill.

They won in Miami in December. That's great. If Tannehill didn't suck, things could have been different. If you can't see why that's an issue, you haven't watched this team in recent years.

And if the Pats weren't ravaged by injuries/suspensions they probably would have destroyed the Dolphins ...

It's unfair to the Patriots to say they won because Tannehill sucks as in the past the Patriots have given up a ton of yards to QBs worse than Tannehill. The offense and defense made enough plays to win the game despite an O line of backups playing against one of the better D lines in the league. Give credit were credit is due, just because it wasn't a blowout doesn't mean the Patriots were lucky.

And if the Pats weren't ravaged by injuries/suspensions they probably would have destroyed the Dolphins ...

It's unfair to the Patriots to say they won because Tannehill sucks as in the past the Patriots have given up a ton of yards to QBs worse than Tannehill. The offense and defense made enough plays to win the game despite an O line of backups playing against one of the better D lines in the league. Give credit were credit is due, just because it wasn't a blowout doesn't mean the Patriots were lucky.

I am going to go with this.

I included the 2008 season.

This was a hard game to watch overall, but man that final drive by the Pats left me feeling pretty damned good. This team continues to prove they're capable of running with authority and capable of remembering that they can do just that. Not to mention the division is clinched and there's plenty of time to get guys healthy.
That drive with something like eight minutes to go when the Dolphins pulled to within 7 was a thing of beauty. In the losses, the offense would typically go three and out in that situation or fail to put it away in some capacity. Then the other team would invariably drive down the field for a TD. That did not happen today and it was awesome.

I included the 2008 season.

The point was specifically about the post-2008 teams (no Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Seymour, etc...) and clearly said "post 2008", so why would you include 2008?

Last edited:
That drive with something like eight minutes to go when the Dolphins pulled to within 7 was a thing of beauty. In the losses, the offense would typically go three and out in that situation or fail to put it away in some capacity. Then the other team would invariably drive down the field for a TD. That did not happen today and it was awesome.

Nope. Pats are just lucky Tannehill sucks.;)

When Forehead and the Broncos pulled that win out last week all the "experts" and analysts couldn't stop talking about how it shows that the Broncos are a great team because they gutted out a win on the road against a (horrible) division rival. I can already hear the guys at ESPN blasting the Pats for struggling in Miami even though it's the same thing..

Personally, I was just glad to see the team win on the road against an impressive defense while the offense was struggling. And besides one of the Miami drives, I thought our D played great today.

Last edited:
Good to see the Patriots grit out a tough win today.

I have a strong impression that the axis of Brady/McD will always err back towards the shotgun passing game when things don't go as planned on offense.

McD has done a great job so far this year (unfortunately the only indication we have of that is the lack of 'Fire McD' threads!) but when the season gets down to the sharp end they need to stop themselves becoming so one dimensional by giving up on the run.
I think, no i know your confusing MCD with BOB, BOB ALWAYS defaulted back to the shotgun and passed passed passed. Or he attempted to

I find it interesting that the Patriots won a game not playing that well yet ground it out in a similar fashion to the Superbowl winning teams and people are still complaining.

BCS style points come on down.

Last edited:
good god, Shurmur. If you were going to call a TO there, you might as well have just challenged the spot.

Lol so when a team scores below the league average they are more likely to lose? Thanks, Moneyball.

Of course another way to look at it is in 4 seasons the team has only failed to score 20+ 10 times.

We'd all love the team to have a top 3 D; they don't. They live and die by Brady. I can think of worse situations as a football fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News