PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp, Day 12 (@ Philadephia)

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Didn't see it posted yet, so I figured I would start it. Anyway, Reiss with a preview of today's practice...

Wake-up call: Situations on agenda - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

10:15 a.m.-11:45 a.m. -- Practice
Approx. 11:45 a.m. -- Player interviews

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who held a news conference each of the last two days, won't do so today. On Wednesday, he explained what was on the agenda for today's practice.

"We're going to do some situation work, a little more emphasis on situations, just to change the emphasis a bit," he said.

Sounds like that will make Brandon Boykin happy. ;)

Situational football, perhaps another concept beyond Boykins grasp.

Reiss with a tweet regarding yesterday's practice before the two teams take the field...

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss
Patriots leftover from Wednesday: Duron Harmon up, Tavon Wilson down in competition at backup safety. Duron Harmon up, Tavon Wilson down - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Sounds like the mental errors, particularly on deep balls, are still plaguing Wilson.

We should also learn who philly will be starting at QB today, which is a nice little nugget of useless info.

Erik Scalavino @E_Scal
#Patriots #Eagles literally going through the motions today. Typical day-before-game walkthrough practice in shorts, jerseys, helmets.

Gonna be a boring one.

I bet they're bullies even in walk-throughs.

Erik Scalavino @E_Scal
#Patriots #Eagles literally going through the motions today. Typical day-before-game walkthrough practice in shorts, jerseys, helmets.

Gonna be a boring one.

Yup. People got excited when they found out they added a third joint practice. My thought was, "How much are they really going to do together the day before a game?"

I bet they're bullies even in walk-throughs.

This just in.......

5pjVeR.jpg

Reiss with a tweet regarding yesterday's practice before the two teams take the field...

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss
Patriots leftover from Wednesday: Duron Harmon up, Tavon Wilson down in competition at backup safety. Duron Harmon up, Tavon Wilson down - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Sounds like the mental errors, particularly on deep balls, are still plaguing Wilson.

Early reports for Tavon Wilson are not encouraging about taking the year two step up (see Jones C, Hightower D) and he has apparently been leapfrogged by Duron Harmon. With Dennard limping and unlikely to go Fri night, Ryan should see plenty of action. It could an opportunity to see two of the new Scarlet Knights in the defensive backfield.

Some comments on Thursday's practice from Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

- Should have made this point, obvious as it is, but Brady's familiarity in Pats O aids release as Vick/Foles' unfamiliarity hinders theirs. note: McLane had an article comparing the release time of the Eagles QBs today

- #Eagles-#Patriots practice about to begin. It'll be a light one. No pads, just shells.

- #Eagles T Dennis Kelly had surgery on his back and is out for the rest of the preseason.

- With Kelly out, Allen Barbre' chances of making the team just upped considerably.

- Missing from today's light practice for the #Eagles: Jason Peters, Cary Williams, Antonio Dixon and Ed Wang.

- Doesn't look like Damaris Johnson or Russell Shepard are practicing today either.

- LeSean McCoy and Nate Menkin are back.

- #Eagles GM indicates that the #Eagles probably won't add a WR until after Friday's game.​

JMT - I just sent you a private message regarding how to correct the spelling of a user name. If you could give me a hand with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Early reports for Tavon Wilson are not encouraging about taking the year two step up

Was just thinking the same thing myself. His deep ball coverage still remains suspect and he will really need to show us an improvement during the preseason games.

Comments from Erik Scalavino, Patriots Football Weekly:

- #Patriots #Eagles literally going through the motions today. Typical day-before-game walkthrough practice in shorts, jerseys, helmets.

- With #Patriots CB Alfonzo Dennard not even able to take part in walkthrough, likelihood he plays tomorrow night vs #Eagles is diminishing.

- (Q.: Is (Dennard) hurt?) -- Apparently. Seemed to do it yesterday in 1-on-1s against Riley Cooper. Was a spectator thereafter.

- (Q.: What happend to him?) -- Hurt something (leg/ankle?) covering Riley Cooper in 1-on-1s yesterday.

- (Q.: Does it look serious?) -- Not terribly, but he came out for streching, then left with the strength coach.

- (Q.: So if Dennard misses time I guess Rasi gets an oppertunity to get hurt?) -- Dowling's already hurt. Been missing from last several practices.

- Interesting twist to #Patriots post-safety free kick: K Stephen Gostkowski punting ball away, rather than Zoltan Mesko or Ryan Allen.

- This may be a "walkthrough," but #Patriots #Eagles are taking 7-on-7 seriously, going full-speed.

- #Patriots Dennard returning to practice field with strength coach Harold Nash. Walking slowly, gingerly.

- Actually happened yesterday (four safeties on the field at once -- McCourty, Gregory, Harmon and Adrian Wilson.)

- Pace of #Patriots #Eagles walkthrough has decreased from the full-on 7-on-7 period. Back down to half-speed.

- (Q.: Who do you think is gonna be the starting safety next to Devin McCourty in week 1 on the reg season?) -- At this point, A. Wilson, with Gregory in a regular rotation.

- Nice 1-handed TD catch, back of the end zone, by #Patriots rookie TE Zach Sudfeld, from Tom Brady, on a half-speed 11-on-11 red zone play.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

That's a bummer. Tavon clearly has the athletic skills to do the job, but the mental errors are what got him benched, and if he hasn't managed to improve with the benefit of a full offseason and a training camp, then that pretty dramatically decreases the odds that he ever will. I'll still hold out a bit of hope that he can make some progress in the preseason (I bet we'll see him get a lot of reps, since in his current state he's pretty much useless anyway, so who cares if he gets injured). If so, then he might be salvageable, but if not then he'll probably be removed from the safety rotation like Chung was last season.

If that's the case, then it's a bummer, but it's not unexpected: it was easy to see the writing on the wall with the Harmon pick, IMO. I get the impression that, having worked with Tavon, Belichick isn't especially confident that he'll ever get the mental side of the game down at the level that he needs to.

- Missing from today's light practice for the #Eagles: Jason Peters, Cary Williams, Antonio Dixon and Ed Wang.

"EAGLES WANG IS OUT"

The name that keeps on giving.

I see Williams is still out with butt hurt too.

That's a bummer. Tavon clearly has the athletic skills to do the job, but the mental errors are what got him benched, and if he hasn't managed to improve with the benefit of a full offseason and a training camp, then that pretty dramatically decreases the odds that he ever will. I'll still hold out a bit of hope that he can make some progress in the preseason (I bet we'll see him get a lot of reps, since in his current state he's pretty much useless anyway, so who cares if he gets injured). If so, then he might be salvageable, but if not then he'll probably be removed from the safety rotation like Chung was last season.

If that's the case, then it's a bummer, but it's not unexpected: it was easy to see the writing on the wall with the Harmon pick, IMO. I get the impression that, having worked with Tavon, Belichick isn't especially confident that he'll ever get the mental side of the game down at the level that he needs to.

He's got the physical tools to be successful at the position, but any time you make repeated mental errors (particularly two in close succession on an identical play), it's never a good sign... even for a rookie. That we're still hearing about that and hearing about Harmon, a rookie, getting reps ahead of Wilson is something to watch closely. It's still a long preseason, though, so hope is definitely something that you can have.

Comments from Nick Underhill, MassLive.com:

- Shells, shorts. Walking through some things.

- Dennard appears to be dealing with a leg/ankle issue.

- Tebow made a few nice throws at goal line in 7 vs. 7. There were also some bad ones, including a pick.

- (re: CB depth): Looked so deep just a couple weeks ago.

- Practicing onside kicks now. That’s what today is. Also, the air feels like a swamp.

- Only thing that will save this practice is if Allen and Mesko go head-to-head in a punter battle. Loser walks home.

- Dennard came back out. Walking with limp.

- (Q.: Is dobson looking like the standout from the rest of the wrs ?) -- I don’t know if I’d say standing out from the rest. But he is standing out.

- (Q.: What's Dowling's injury?) -- Don't know.

- It’s now 136 degrees here.

- Sudfeld just had a nice one-hand TD grab.

- (Q.: sounds like (Sudfeld) is playing his way on to the field) -- He's getting a lot of run with the ones.

Our CB depth is getting depleted by the day :/ Down to Talib, Arrington and Ryan. Sure looked wonderful on paper before training camp started, though.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back