PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for 49er's OT Trent Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm glad you know how to run the Pats better than BB. Thanks for dropping in. Now, feel free to drop out.

Maybe you should get glasses or a tutor to teach you English. Feel free to **** off

Wynn should be in the starting lineup though - somewhere... David Andrews wasn't particularly great last season. Maybe someone takes over Center?

They could slide Mason to C and Wynn to RG.

Last edited:
I hope they get a couple of 4th's before the nights over they have done Traditionally well in that Round.

Who do you want that's still out there on defense? I would like rasheem green and any LB that covers well in space.

You're right, it's a 5th. My bad. I thought it was a 4th.
Would’ve felt slightly better if it was a 4th. Much fairer trade value. SF beat Belichick once again. Still could turn out well for Brown and the Pats. Time will tell.

Who do you want that's still out there on defense? I would like rasheem green and any LB that covers well in space.

I would settle for a poor mans Dante Hightower.

People keep crying about the defense but forget we have players coming back. We also picked up a decent defensive lineman and safety. So we still have the rest of the draft to round out the defense. Probable outside linebackers or defensive line. Maybe a corner. Defense will be alright with hightower back.

Would’ve felt slightly better if it was a 4th. Much fairer trade value. SF beat Belichick once again. Still could turn out well for Brown and the Pats. Time will tell.

I like what the 49ers are doing. Accumulating picks. They should compete this season for the playoffs.

Wynn look slike a good run blocker. I suspect he will clear some space for our running backs. We missed Blount in the playoffs last year.

Would’ve felt slightly better if it was a 4th. Much fairer trade value. SF beat Belichick once again.

What are you basing this take upon?

People keep crying about the defense but forget we have players coming back. We also picked up a decent defensive lineman and safety. So we still have the rest of the draft to round out the defense. Probable outside linebackers or defensive line. Maybe a corner. Defense will be alright with hightower back.

That defensive lineman's ok but nothing special. Could use another young pass rusher. Can Hightower stay healthy all 16 game? LB's need. In fact I wish we could grab two LBs

It's absolutely idiotic to trade Mason right now.

Firstly the draft is for team building and building depth. That is what we are doing. Secondly, injuries happen every year. Did we think we would need all 4 tackles last year? It was lucky we had them. Lets at least wait to September to see how it all shakes out.
Third, Mason and Wynn don't even play the same position. We don't necessarily know that these moves are linked.

What we have is a lot of players who can play multiple positions:

Wynn: T/G
Croston: T/G
Thuney: G/C
Mason: G/C

Lets just see how it all shakes out. We should be pleased that we've added a couple of quality players on the o-line. Quickest way to ruin your season, as we know from watching the Pats play Denver in the AFC title game a couple of years ago, is having your o-line completely collapse. Keep the offense on the road and we are one of the favourites for the Super Bowl.

Trent Brown - New England Patriots - 2018 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Brown is a mauling right tackle with long arms who has battled conditioning issues. He's reportedly a bit out of shape as he recovers from labrum surgery on his shoulder. Brown isn't expected to be healthy until training camp.

how the hell is he supposed to pass a physical?

he's a big bastid at 6'8" / 355
He and perhaps others may be midseason reinforcements coming off the PUP list.

Edmunds was there. I would have given up 23 and 63 to move up and get him. That's the type of guy we need at LB

Not sold on him as a star in the making. Think he's more of a solid contributor, marginal starter over the long run.

Virginia Tech players of late have been over rated, just like the team.

Wynn should be in the starting lineup though - somewhere... David Andrews wasn't particularly great last season. Maybe someone takes over Center?

"One of the players that really performed well was center, David Andrews. Recently, Pro Football Focus named Andrews as one of the top surprises of the season. Here’s what they had to say about him.

David Andrews has been a darling of some for a while and he ended the previous season playing well, particularly in the playoffs, but this season as a whole was a big surprise – building off that finish and really generating some impressive play. While there were plenty of ugly games in his tape a year ago, this season those was largely absent, particularly when it comes to pass protection, where he allowed just 22 total pressures over the regular season.

According to PFF, Andrews was ranked as the fifth-best center in the NFL with an overall grade of 81.8. As both a run blocker a pass blocker, Andrews graded out very well. In both categories, he was ranked in the Top 10 among centers, as he really didn’t show a lot of weaknesses in 2017.

The strong season from Andrews certainly helped contribute to Tom Brady having an MVP season. Also, the play of Andrews helped spark a running game that was very good in 2017 when Dion Lewis took over as the primary runner."

New England Patriots: David Andrews named a surprise player of 2017

Just personal feelings. I worry why they want to give up on an alleged good right tackle so fast, and I wonder if it was an overpayment for a guy they don’t value anymore.

There is no certainty in any of this, especially on the part of the coaches. Let's review the things they and we DON'T know:
  • How the health and strength of Garcia will develop and unfold in the coming months
  • If he's healthy, whether Garcia can become a starting caliber OT
  • What Mason wants for a contract going forward
  • How the other young project OL's already on the roster will develop
  • How Wynn will develop, both as an interior lineman and an OT
  • If Cannon makes it through the season healthy
  • The degree to which Brown will commit himself to conditioning
  • What Brown wants for a long term deal going forward
  • If/how any and all of the returning starters will improve or regress next year
I'm sure there' s more to be listed.

The coaches aren't sitting around trying to project certainty into any of this. They are assembling as much talent as they can to create competition in camp, depth in the season, and the best starting 5 (and rotational 8) that comes out of that. They have a hunch (and hopes) about the bulleted items above, but they aren't counting on anything. They are just trying to improve the odds on good offensive line talent, leading to good offensive line play.

There is more certainty expressed on this Board about what will happen than is expressed in the Pats' offices.

I agree with @Rdforty2

I could see them trading away Mason now. There is no reason for Wynn to sit. If the plan is for Brown/Cannon to be the starting tackles (maybe Garcia) then you have Thuney/Mason/Andrews/Wynn on the interior. 4 legit starters.

If you move Mason now you can get a high 3rd for him I think. If they keep him this year and let him walk maybe they get a comp 4th but more likely a comp 5th.

Now if Wynn is your long term solution at LT and Brown was just to have a quality back up it makes all the sense in the world to keep Mason this year. Bottom line is if for any reason Wynn isn't on the field this year then someone screwed up. You don't sit the 23rd overall pick unless it is a QB.

I disagree. You have a 1dt round oick sitting the bench if you keep Mason. If we had no replacement, I would agree.

Wynn in the lineup plus a 3rd round defender for depth (not just help this year but getting primed for a bigger role next year) is better than Mason playing and Wynn sitting the bench.

I understand the idea of depth inside and understand a rookie may not perform. But I don't think wasting a year of a 1st rounder that's pro ready and getting a 4th round comp pick in 2 years is a better solution. It's a trade off of depth at OG for depth on defense, and if rather we get the defensive help now.

Something crazy is going on. One things certain, there’s no way Wynn is playing left tackle. Not this year, probably not any year

Last edited:

He went to go kaka after his cup of coffee this morning and felt it the opinion poking out of his rectum.

Some posters were worried that we gave up a second round pick for him before we knew the trade details. Some are still unhappy, despite the fact that they gave up much less than that.

I like the size. Man we’re getting some maulers on the line.

Could it be that BB wants to change the identity of the offense, and make it a bit more run heavy in order to preserve Tom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back