PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots to Release Alfonzo Dennard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger Zone

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Patriots are releasing CB Alfonzo Dennard, who they drafted in 2012, source said. He had 4 starts this year.

EDIT: Conversation has progressed before added these new tidbits of information
Mike Loyko @NEPD_Loyko
Dennard looked promising but coaches have continued to question his durability commitment to learn and ability to buy In.

--
Jeff Howe @jeffphowe
Dennard's work ethic and commitment to the game were routinely questioned by those in the building during his tenure.

Last edited:
WTF not even a trade? Damn I wanted Dennard playing some CB snaps, he is a good CB when healthy, looks like he's a headache though

So is the plan to go with top notch front seven and rely less on the secondary?

shaq-finally-gets-it-shaq-gifs.gif

So is the plan to go with top notch front seven and rely less on the secondary?

I think the plan has to be to try to top the 2011 secondary. Dennard was, by far and away, the best corner on the roster. Either they really like what they're seeing from the rest of the guys or Dennard did something pretty bad behind the scenes. Otherwise, I'm having a lot of trouble justifying this type of move at one of the weakest areas on the team.

I think the plan has to be to try to top the 2011 secondary. Dennard was, by far and away, the best corner on the roster. Either they really like what they're seeing from the rest of the guys or Dennard did something pretty bad behind the scenes. Otherwise, I'm having a lot of trouble justifying this type of move at one of the weakest areas on the team.

Mike Loyko @NEPD_Loyko
Dennard looked promising but coaches have continued to question his durability commitment to learn and ability to buy In.

Mike Loyko @NEPD_Loyko

If that's true, it's a shame. He's a talented outside CB. Now we're left with Malcolm Butler or Fletcher as our CB1. I hope the pass rush is nasty because they're going to need to get after the QB. McCourty can only cover up for so much back there.

I don't get it but lets not overrate Dennard just because of this head scratcher.

I can't see why you wouldn't want him in camp competing but lets not pretend he didn't regress big time last year.

Dennard was garbage last year, not surprised. Didn't think he'd make the roster but I thought we would get a 6th or 7th for him.

My interpretation: "they let Revis and Browner go and didn't make a splash for a corner in free agency or the draft because they were happy with Dennard. He must have been injured last season so this season he'll come back with a bang and fill one of the starting corner positions."

It's not even training camp and one of Mikestradamus's predictions has bombed. It's bad news in one way, but how can you not love a coach who will let nothing, nothing, nothing stand in the way of keeping his team focused and disciplined?

Thats a headscratcher. Surprised he wasnt used as bait during draft.

Been starting to wonder if DMac might be moving back to corner.

Harmon, Chung, and Richards our second rd pick seems better than anything we have at CB.

Assuming DMac can make the switch back in theory the depth looks better that way. As long as DMac can do it.

Its too bad. Dennard showed some good stuff early on but then he just kind of fell off.

All I can say is that they must really have faith that Butler will emerge next season. He may well be better than any of our other corners on the outside.

Thats a headscratcher. Surprised he wasnt used as bait during draft.

For me, reading where he picked his guys, at no point Belichick intended to trade up.

If true and he didn't want to buy in..then ya they had to do it...but if they knew this before the Revis situation. Then go harder after Revis no?

Harmon, Chung, and Richards our second rd pick seems better than anything we have at CB.

Assuming DMac can make the switch back in theory the depth looks better that way. As long as DMac can do it.

Maybe? But I don't want to see that move

God I hope not. McCourty is a MUCH better FS than a CB. There's a reason they moved him back there in the 2011 playoffs and a reason why the secondary got better when they moved him back there midway through 2012. I'm calling it now: the Patriots will be trading for a CB midway through this season.

I don't know how much is his speculation vs having a source, but Howe replied to somebody on Twitter saying this wasn't the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back