PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots snap count thoughts for game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
BB and the Pats organization say a lot of things and yet manage to say almost nothing. The only way to judge what they really think is too look at their actions IE, snap count.

Lets talk about it as i think it is rather revealing.

Offense

OL - A few things stuck out to me here. One is how much they managed Cannon. He started the game and ended the game. They took him out in the middle for a few drives to give him a break. Clearly he is not all the way back yet. Considering it was a 70/30 split I expect him to not be able to handle 100% of the workload week 2. It is possible but that seems like a big jump to make. The other OL starters played every snap.

TE - Gronk playing every snap. Can't say i'm a fan of that. On the bright side he is well on his way to hitting all his incentives. Allen was out there for about 30% of the snaps and used pretty much solely as a blocker. Hollister was benched. I don't think they should bench him for McCarron again. For all the talk about him being in the TB circle of trust the fact he didn't get on the game day roster may put a lie to that perhaps.

WR - Patterson one out there for only 1 more snap than McCarron. If he can't take those snaps now than he is never taking them. McCarron was just there to run his route and take up guys. No matter how bad a WR may be you still can't leave him wide open and assume he will drop it. McCarron and Patterson were each targeted just one time in the passing game. I think McCarron's was just a throw away though IIRC. This to me signals they plan to give Patterson only 20% of a games snaps give or take regardless of who is in there for this season perhaps. 2 of his 4 touches when for good plays though. Nothing i saw out of Hogan's or Dorsett's snap count surprised me.

RB - The fact they used Burkhead so generously with a fully healthy Hill (at the time is Illuminati). He and White pretty much went 50/50 with the snap count. He may have a lingering injury but clearly the Pats don't feel they need to manage him. It will be curious to see how Michel changes this.

Defense

DE was really interesting to watch. Davis got more snaps than both Wise and Clayborn. I don't know what to make of that. Maybe they like the way he sets the edge? His only contribution to the stat sheet was a single QB hit. Clayborn's only contribution to the stat sheet was 2 QB hits. I don't think that stat sheets tell the whole story, but it is interesting to see him out there for about half the defensive snaps and not get even a tackle. DE is a situation to watch going forward. Also they decided to sit Rivers for Davis.

DT - As usual it was a rotation here. The order of snaps was Shelton, Brown, Guy Butler. Not much really to say. All the guys contributed and did there part. This looks like, at least through week 1, the DT group will work the same as it has in past years.

LB - Bentley/Hightower/Van Noy pretty much all were out there for the same amount of snaps (51/50/49 respectively). Bentley made his presence felt big time and clearly has already taken the 3rd LB job. Obviously Hightower is still the guy in the long run. The fact that they felt they could manage his snaps and not feel the loss of his absense for much of the game is interesting. Roberts was out there for 20 snaps. I wonder why at this point. It is worth noting when they were getting gashed with the run plays in the late 3rd it was a 4-2-5 which featured Hightower/Roberts. I am not going to be blaming Hightower. Overall besides that laps the LB play was encouraging.

DBs - Gilmore/Rower/Chung/McCourty pretty much played all the snaps. The 5th DB was Harmon (played 2/3rds) and the 6th was Jones (played 1/2 the snaps). There was not much to complain about from this group for this game. Jason McCourty was put out there as a Safety for 8 snaps and not a CB really. He did have a nice break up on a deep pass. It's something.

Last edited:
I am not sure how much there is to learn from the snap counts of a single game. When we get into the 3-4 game range where you can see patterns it will be a different story.

Playing Davis over most other DEs, sitting Rivers and the usage of CP on offense look like things that can really easily be gameplan specific.

I think the two most interesting things that might actually end up being true are the usage of LBs and how they are managing Cannon back in after he missed the entire preseason. Gronk playing every snap doesn't concern me because it is not about how many snaps he plays but about how many of those killer routes get called.

Thanks for putting the info together, and agree with luuked about needing a few more games to see a pattern. But the use of Bentley certainly stands out. Related to Hollister though, it wasn't a trust issue - he was inactive due to injury.

I do agree that more games are needed to have a truly comprehensive discussion about this. But most of what goes on with this board is simply speculation or opinion.

That being the case, at least this gives us some actual data to draw conclusions from even if the sample size is small.

Last edited:
Saw a chart earlier in the week on Twitter which listed the ST snaps as well, first time I have seen that combination.. it was interesting how many players that involves.

Patterson will never see a ton of snaps in the offense because there aren't a ton of routes that he can run with any sort of consistency. His route tree is very limited in this offense.

Wish we had one more decent lb to get roberts off the field, that was the only drive our d looked bad. Also wish we got more out of our te depth, gronk needs less exposure.

I was also surprised davis got so many snaps over Clayborn considering the investment, but as long as the results and pressure are there . Overall, 20 PA is really good considering they started 2 drives in our red zone.

Wish we had one more decent lb to get roberts off the field, that was the only drive our d looked bad. Also wish we got more out of our te depth, gronk needs less exposure.

I was also surprised davis got so many snaps over Clayborn considering the investment, but as long as the results and pressure are there . Overall, 20 PA is really good considering they started 2 drives in our red zone.
Roberts only played 20 snaps. Hes a backup now.

The Ja'Whaun Bentley era has begun.

Patterson will never see a ton of snaps in the offense because there aren't a ton of routes that he can run with any sort of consistency. His route tree is very limited in this offense.
IF he remains injury free, can he demonstrate growth & improvement over time?

Baby steps surprised they don't have him run a few five yards slants. Defenses already have him figured out: LOS Patterson. All DC's have to do is crowd his side of the LOS when he's in and that's it for Patterson no element of surprise.

Last edited:
IF he remains injury free, can he demonstrate growth & improvement over time?

6th Season Breakout Cat quickness??:D Yikes that might not be possible Patterson didn't come in this league last night I think this is it.:(

Who knows? Patterson has never been the best route runner.

Key word never I expect Coleman to pass him of this Team as the season goes by Coleman much more polished receiver.

Baby steps surprised they don't have him running a few five yards slants. Defenses already have him figured out: LOS Patterson. All DC's have to do is crowd his side of the LOS when he's in and that's it for Patterson no element of surprise.
i see a set-up coming from mcdaniels. establish patterson as the jet-sweep guy for a few games, then in a close game break out the slant routes for some big gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST