PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots snap count thoughts for game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the eyes of the coaching staff and vs HOU, Davis was ahead of Rivers.

Maybe that changes next week. Who knows.
Well yeah that’s obvious. I thought you were giving a reason.

Davis saw some time lined up inside against the left guard, where his ~30 pound advantage over Rivers really comes into play. He had a good rush there on the almost-safety, I believe.

Davis saw some time lined up inside against the left guard, where his ~30 pound advantage over Rivers really comes into play. He had a good rush there on the almost-safety, I believe.

Rivers statue wise is built like a basketball player might be career situational pass Rusher if that. He might be a Barkevious Mingo one who never reaches their full potential.

I saw that but even in 20 snaps the run defense appeared to take a serious hit

There was also the stat flying around that the run defense took a huge hit when Trey Flowers and Laurence Guy weren't on the field. So to claim that Roberts was the problem, you'd have to compare how many snaps he was out there with or without those two, and also take into consideration down, distance, and situation. I don't think it's black and white.

There was also the stat flying around that the run defense took a huge hit when Trey Flowers and Laurence Guy weren't on the field. So to claim that Roberts was the problem, you'd have to compare how many snaps he was out there with or without those two, and also take into consideration down, distance, and situation. I don't think it's black and white.
Butler too but we all know hes not a stout run defender.

Captain believes Rivers is better than Davis. The coaches disagree.
I don’t agree with that statement. Davis was part of that game plan. That doesn’t mean they think he is better. He just fit that game plan.

I don’t agree with that statement. Davis was part of that game plan. That doesn’t mean they think he is better. He just fit that game plan.
OK they thought Davis would be a better player in that game.

Comments:

a.) Cannon should see more snaps this week.

b.) Can we seriously at least try throwing to Dwayne Allen now and then? He's almost always single covered by a smaller defender.

c.) I don't even recall Jason McCourty being out there...he played 8 snaps...hmmm...

Which was to rush the passer and stop the run.
Actually it seems that it was to play a big 3 man front and rush in a controlled fashion.
Davis and rivers are very different players.
Davis is a large DE, a guy who could move inside to dt.
Rivers is a small de, a guy who could be an olb.
While they kind of play the same position they have very different strengths and weaknesses within the overall skill set ofthe position.
The point being that Davis playing week 1 doesn’t necessarily mean they believe Davis is a better de but it means for the game plan against the type of offense they have created unique schemes against he was the best fit for the unique one they used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference