PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Two More WR Bodies

The great ones overcome adversity; I expect Brady to have one of his best season.

I hope so, also.
I expect the preseason to be filled with slumped shoulders and piercing glances from Brady and then I expect things to settle down by week 3 or 4.
Hopefully, with a less a gut-wrenching ending…I expect to have pride in this Pats team like I grew to appreciate things in 2006.

I wanted Bailey so badly...gonna be real pissed if he tears it up for the Rams. Wheaton and Swope too.
The Steelers have a way of drafting the receivers I like coming out of college. I was (I'm speaking in past tense now because he is a Steeler) high on Wheaton. Let's hope Dobson and Boyce go a long way to alleviating our WR concerns.

Brady and BB will turn some of these guys into Pro Bowlers by the time it's all said and done.

I think a more accurate statement is, "Brady is so good that he can turn guys with a bit of talent into good players and guys with a lot of talent into great or elite players." Too many others have come through here and sucked even with Brady throwing to them. If you can't regularly beat the press, get separation, run the correct routes, or catch the ball, they you're still going to stink in this offense. Most of the guys who excel in this offense have talent.

Brady's overcome enough adversity, he doesn't have to prove to anyone that he can get things done with below average wideouts. He's at a stage in his career where the team should be supplying him with enough weapons to facilitate him being successful.

+1000

It's maddening how some people believe that we'll be fine at WR simply because we have one of the GOAT at QB. If it did Taylor Price, Ocho Cinco, Joey Galloway, Chad Jackson, et al would still be on the team or would've been key contributors during their time here.

You need durable and a modicum of proven talent at WR...the Pats seem to be nickel and diming their approach because they have Brady. It reminds me of Harry Sinden assembling too many ham and eggers because the B's had Ray Bourque.

+1000

It's maddening how some people believe that we'll be fine at WR simply because we have one of the GOAT at QB. If it did Taylor Price, Ocho Cinco, Joey Galloway, Chad Jackson, et al would still be on the team or would've been key contributors during their time here.

You need durable and a modicum of proven talent at WR...the Pats seem to be nickel and diming their approach because they have Brady. It reminds me of Harry Sinden assembling too many ham and eggers because the B's had Ray Bourque.

They went to the AFC championship game with Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney, I think this crop is better than that years group. The defense will be key anyway, we need the D to improve to have a chance regardless of the offense.

Price is not on the team because the team was not able to properly assess his treatable mental disease. IMHO, the waste of a 3rd rounder is the fault of the medical staff, much more than any other factor.

+1000

Price is not on the team because the team was not able to properly assess his treatable mental disease. IMHO, the waste of a 3rd rounder is the fault of the medical staff, much more than any other factor.

I have LOTS of problems with Pats medical staff assessments

I have LOTS of problems with Pats medical staff assessments

they gave me two months to live...I couldn't pay the last installment on my season's ticket...they gave me another 2 months :drum:

I believe that it is accurate to say that the FO has been successful in surrounding Brady with enough talent at WR. The only year they came close was in 2007.

I think a more accurate statement is, "Brady is so good that he can turn guys with a bit of talent into good players and guys with a lot of talent into great or elite players." Too many others have come through here and sucked even with Brady throwing to them. If you can't regularly beat the press, get separation, run the correct routes, or catch the ball, they you're still going to stink in this offense. Most of the guys who excel in this offense have talent.

I agree, he is the clear cut best quarterback in the NFL (Rodgers needs to get past first playoff round), and in the history of the game, and the leader and voice of the team. And it also wouldn't hurt to have Danny Amendola who is healthy now, and in every which way better then Wes Welker and offers so much more and more accomplished coming into NE then Wes was coming in to NE. It also doesn't hurt to have Julian Edelman, a guy with a wide variety of skillset and explosiveness who is healing and two highly regarded draft picks with more skill, potential and upside then any draft picks we've had at receiver since Givens and Branch.

My aren't we optimistic?
Hopefully some of these new WRs pan out. We have more rookie WRs coming to camp in 2013 than any year I can remember.

Because unfortunately we don't have the outstanding TE duo that was giving NFL defenses fits to fall back on right now.

My aren't we optimistic?
Hopefully some of these new WRs pan out. We have more rookie WRs coming to camp in 2013 than any year I can remember.

Because unfortunately we don't have the outstanding TE duo that was giving NFL defenses fits to fall back on right now.

This is true, the optimism on this site is so low that I thought about leaving it. Unlike the past drafts, I think Bill Belichick has done a better job of bringing in talent at receiver and assessing both their physical and mental attributes. There is plenty of natural and gifted talent and athleticism between guys like Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce and Kenbrell Thompkins that quiet frankly, we haven't seen in a while. They don't compare to kids like Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Brandon Tate and others who were mainly just speed but not a lot of substance or quality at the receiver position. To me, we've gotten bigger, faster, stronger, more talented, and more versatile at the position. Wes Welker was strictly a slot guy, and Brandon Lloyd just sucked. We pretty much only had two receivers last year, and that was Wes and Hernandez. These kids can do more than just the slot, and that too. Remember how we were missing a deep ball receiver? Well, we addressed that during the draft. Keep in mind, these rookies have been very productive and meaningful to their former programs and all look to build on in the NFL, and they all seem to love to want to play for the best. To me, one of the key underrated signings of this offseason is bringing back WR's coach Brian Daboll, a guy who during the championship years groomed players like young Deion Branch, and David Givens and got the most out of veterans David Patten and Troy Brown. That will really be of some help this year. This is our best draft group since 2002, at the position IMO.

well I hope the daboll factor helps. we are looking at pretty much an entire roster turnover at the WR position. the only returning 'vetean' is Julian Edelman. feeling really nervous about our offense for the first time in a long time.

fortunately we have ridley and vereen so we can always turn to the run game if we struggle to get in sync with the pass early on in the season.

I think the real key, besides having some young kids step up is for the Pats defense to take the Next Step that we have long been waiting for. If you get a top 10 defense, then you don't need to score 30+ ppg each season. I think as fans we have been spoiled by the Pats juggernaut offense each year. But also the defense was counting on that to bail them out.

This year I very much doubt we'll be hitting 30 ppg. So everyone needs to pull their own weight and step up when it counts.

I guess that our WR situation is so bad that we would consider a WR that has had FOUR concussions.

It certainly suggests some worry on the Patriots part. Hopefully they're just worrying about the depth and not who starts opposite Amendola.

I'm not sure "worrying" is the right word. The team hopes that Dobson will start. They may be fine with Edelman or Jenkins starting. However, these are not great options, unless Dobson produces more than the typical 1st round WR.

It certainly suggests some worry on the Patriots part. Hopefully they're just worrying about the depth and not who starts opposite Amendola.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back