PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign TE Clay Harbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a signing like this as an indication of BBs humility. I think he recognizes that his ability to predict which players will fit well or outcompete other players is limited so he signs a bunch of guys who possess skills and lets them compete. He did this last year at third down back and found Lewis. Who on the board (or on the coaching staff) predicted his emergence? Get them to camp and let em sort it out and may the best player win.

Harbor is twice the player he is. Stats back it up. He literally has twice the amount of yards and receptions Homananwanui has and Hoomanwaui had Brady throwing to him for 3 seasons.

2 times zero equals zero.

Clay Harbor broke the NFL combine back in 2010. It is my belief flag we would have taken him @ #113 if Hernandez was not on the board. He is a chess piece and will do go things here.

2 times zero equals zero.
The multiplicative property of zero is one of the most useful laws in all of mathematics. If Harbor truly is a "zero", he has unique, highly useful properties that no other team posses. Sure, Harbor has a chance to do well in NE, but I sincerely doubt he'll ever reach a usefulness that even approaches that of zero. :p

Harbor is a upgrade for Fleming, and might replace the oft injured Develin.

Oft-injured? He had played in 37 straight games going into 2015 before he broke his leg in the pre-season.
Breaking your leg isn't like an ACL injury or a hamstring pull, it's kind of a "well, that's just bad luck" injury.

Sources tell me Harbor was overheard exclaiming "you mean we DON'T have to play a game in London every single year?!?"

Oft-injured? He had played in 37 straight games going into 2015 before he broke his leg in the pre-season.
my bad

I thought that he had previous injuries

I disagree. He's not Bennett, but he's not a stiff. He's able to help in a few different ways, including special teams, and is a good athlete. Belichick obviously likes him enough to compare him to Marcel Reese. Versatility is valued especially for depth players. He isn't a world beater but I feel pretty good about him being on the roster right now.

I don't really pay attention to BB when he's comping players. It's not as if he's out there saying "Hell, that stiff is another Fredex" when talking about guys who don't have talent: he's hyping guys up. If Harbor makes the team, I'm sure BB and McDaniels will find a way to use his strengths, and maybe he'll blossom in New England after not doing so in either Philly or Jacksonville, but not every signing is going to make the team.

I don't really pay attention to BB when he's comping players. It's not as if he's out there saying "Hell, that stiff is another Fredex" when talking about guys who don't have talent: he's hyping guys up. If Harbor makes the team, I'm sure BB and McDaniels will find a way to use his strengths, and maybe he'll blossom in New England after not doing so in either Philly or Jacksonville, but not every signing is going to make the team.

For sure, I think his upside here is as a very useful role player. And while i agree that Belichick isn't one to call people stiff, he also isn't one to mention players by name all that often. When he mentions one, then signs him, I take it as a good sign. Going to be a tough competition at TE, and no guarantees, but I think he's being thought of as more than just camp fodder.

For sure, I think his upside here is as a very useful role player. And while i agree that Belichick isn't one to call people stiff, he also isn't one to mention players by name all that often. When he mentions one, then signs him, I take it as a good sign. Going to be a tough competition at TE, and no guarantees, but I think he's being thought of as more than just camp fodder.

To put it another way, we are likely to keep at least 3 tight ends. I certainly think that Harbor has a chance to win a roster spot in place of Williams or Derby.

But the quotes are usually in response to a direct question about the guy. Sometimes not, but more often than not it is. When the comments are "unprovoked" (Belichick himself choosing to bring up that player), that's different. Still, my general rule of thumb - Belichick never praises his own players in public except regarding specific action in one game (or when they're retiring), and he never *not* praises the opposition. Isn't 100% true (FredEx, etc) but almost always. I think it's part of the idea of not giving the opposition any additional motivation if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes