PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign former Raiders pass rusher Trevor Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting signing...this guy won't see a ton of snaps as far as I believe. Solid player but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's a minor contributor throughout the season.
Depends entirely on his health. His first two years he was a major contributor as a pass rusher and linebacker.

Interesting comments from the ESPN AFCW reporter Bill Williamson
- care of Mike Reis

"I wouldn't be surprised, 2-3 years down the road, if people are asking 'Where did they get that guy from?' He has great potential and was terrific his first two years, then he got hurt and it took him a while to get going again. I could see him being a real good rotational rusher.

"He's a high effort guy. There wasn't a lot of stability in the organization, he had a few different coordinators, so he was lost in the shuffle in a bit. Now, with the new regime which has been busy getting the cap in order and other things, they maybe didn't have as much time to address players like Scott. Chaz Schilens, the receiver who signed with the Jets, was in a similar type of situation.

"I think he could be perfect for Bill Belichick's defense as a rotational guy. He's not an every-down guy, but he has some real natural pass-rushing burst. He could be a potential steal."
Sounds promising - Can't hurt. As long as Anderson and/or Carter remained unsigned, I will be worried about replacing the 20 sacks and most of whatever pass rush we had last season. I shouldn't be alone in this worry. This signing is positive but 20 sacks is a LOT to replace

This is going to be one of those signings that we look back on at the end of the year and truly appreciate what our front office does. This in the Mark Anderson Rob Ninkovich league. I think he is going to be really solid.

I believe Andre Carter will be a late re-sign and they know it, much like G. Warren. However this signing looks like their answer to losing Mark Anderson in free agency, which at this point is likely. Overall they have really improved the team to this point and if carter returns and Scott can replace Anderson adequately then they are going to be better regardless of what else is done, and i think they are far from that.

They can still lose guys like Koppen, BJGE, and Hoyer but those players can be replaced without too much concern and if you look at the team unit by unit it is pretty clear they are going to be one of the teams that is much better next season. Others are going backwards, the Patriots are getting better and better.

Seems like the Patriots loves to sign "players injury prone, but if healthy are effective" ...

Low Risk, High Reward which the Pats can afford to do since they have a deep roster and excellent cap management.

We are very lucky to have ownership and a FO that understands how to be successful year in and year out, to opposite of most of my life as a Pats fan when the Sullivan's ran the show.

Overall they have really improved the team to this point and if carter returns and Scott can replace Anderson adequately then they are going to be better regardless of what else is done, and i think they are far from that.

They can still lose guys like Koppen, BJGE, and Hoyer but those players can be replaced without too much concern and if you look at the team unit by unit it is pretty clear they are going to be one of the teams that is much better next season. Others are going backwards, the Patriots are getting better and better.

Exactly. Plus I think we can expect a couple of rookie draftees to become big contributors, as well as getting guys like Dowling back from IR.

Absolutely love this pickup if he can stay healthy. Got a huge motor and I really liked him coming out of Buffalo. If he can stay on the field watch out he can play.

also for me an interesting signing...let's see how it will end...

I would have preferred us resigning Anderson since he's a proven commodity. Scott might turn out to be a good signing but with his injury history, it's a bit of a risk that were going to lose the type of production Anderaon gave us in that role.

I like this signing.. has the potential to be a real sleeper.

After the ACL surgery Scott clearly lost a good bit of his explosion at the snap of the ball. I think BB is gambling that some of that explosion comes back being another year removed from the surgery.

But again BB signs another veteran retread to man the second most important position on the defense, a guy capable of playing the elephant role and also DE in a four man front.

Now BB needs to draft an OLB/DE type to groom behind Scott. Unfortunately their are not a lot of sudden players at that position in this draft. The best might be Branch of Clemson, but he is terrible at setting the edge on running plays, low courage.

Except a roster spot.

Then you have to go out and find some JAG to fill his shoes.

We have 80 rosters spots and 27 of them get cut

After the ACL surgery Scott clearly lost a good bit of his explosion at the snap of the ball. I think BB is gambling that some of that explosion comes back being another year removed from the surgery.

But again BB signs another veteran retread to man the second most important position on the defense, a guy capable of playing the elephant role and also DE in a four man front.

Now BB needs to draft an OLB/DE type to groom behind Scott. Unfortunately their are not a lot of sudden players at that position in this draft. The best might be Branch of Clemson, but he is terrible at setting the edge on running plays, low courage.

I'd rather see that DE drafted for the 3-4, Cox, Brockers, Still, etc. You can see last year what it means when a good player can crater the line and take up two men. It leaves players like Anderson, Scott and A. Carter to mop up against the TE. Most of Carter and Anderson's sacks came late, but the biggest factor was that some of our DLs were occupying the tackles.

Bye bye Marc Anderson? Does this guarantee we are switching back to a 3-4?

The Pats played the 3-4 primarily during the 2nd half of the season. Not sure why people keep asking if the Pats are going to switch back to it.

Interesting signing...this guy won't see a ton of snaps as far as I believe. Solid player but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's a minor contributor throughout the season.

I don't see why Scott wouldn't see plenty of snaps unless he can't grasp the playbook. Especially on 3rd downs. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott was starting opposite Ninkovich at OLB in the 3-4.

For now, I'd put Scott in the same boat as Gonzalez. Camp fodder until proven otherwise. The thing Trevor has going for him though is that DE/OLB just has warm bodies there right now, not true talent. If he flashes, he'll stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes