PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign former Dolphins CB Will Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and he has played some FS in the past as well.

Any news on the terms?

My first thought, along with some of the other posters, is that he will convert to safety.

Good camp competition, could help the team if he converts to safety. Don't see him making the team as a CB.

I know Andy will be happy to hear that PFF says that Allen was a top 5 slot corner in the league last year.

Lol, the quickest way to get me to question any player is to tell me how high they are rated by PFF.

There seems to be a theme in this year's secondary... hybridization.

McCourty played some safety last year. He's potentially a CB/S.

Gregory played both CB and S last year.

Allen played both CB and S last year.

If you want to stretch it, Dowling is still a prospect at both CB and S.

That's 3 or 4 guys that, on any given play, could line up in multiple positions in the secondary. Versatility is never a bad thing on defense, and makes camp competitions 10 times more interesting to me.

I thought he was taller than that?

Thats about average for a CB, most guys that a bigger cant swivel their hips as quick as a smaller guy. I know everyone would like to have a 6'2" CB, but a quick CB that big is a rare commodity.

I know Andy will be happy to hear that PFF says that Allen was a top 5 slot corner in the league last year.
Well if PFF said it, thats as valuable as if you just made it up:D

Well if PFF said it, thats as valuable as if you just made it up:D

But you should see the stats they have to back it up! Blah targets per snap, blah completions per target, blah blah yards per completion.

There seems to be a theme in this year's secondary... hybridization.

McCourty played some safety last year. He's potentially a CB/S.

Gregory played both CB and S last year.

Allen played both CB and S last year.

If you want to stretch it, Dowling is still a prospect at both CB and S.

That's 3 or 4 guys that, on any given play, could line up in multiple positions in the secondary. Versatility is never a bad thing on defense, and makes camp competitions 10 times more interesting to me.

It's typical BB and versatility. Want more proof? Tom Brady, Punter.

I think we bring in Yeremiah Bell now atleast for a visit...

Otis Smith redux - Picture the big CB who can who can be physical and effective with bigger WRs in short to mid-range zones, and in short tight man coverage, and that is Will Allen in 2012. He'd also be effective on the GL.vs fade routs. A second possibility is Allen becomes the next Rob Woodson, and closes out his career with 2 rings while patrolling center field for the Pats.

.....and if nothing else he's camp fodder. BB must have decided he's going to get all 73 players signed before the draft, add those 7 guys and then take the next 2 months off at the Vinyard. ;)

This is a classic, even by your standards. Will Allen is 5' 10". Not sure where you're getting "big" from, or his prowess against fade routes. are you confusing him with Ras I Dowling?

And who the hell is Rob Woodson?

It's typical BB and versatility. Want more proof? Tom Brady, Punter.

And it's a good thing he can punt too! Otherwise that 6th round bum would never make the team ;)

Obviously, there is no guarantee that Allen will make the 53 man squad. We may have further addition through free agency or the draft. But as of now, he is the #5 cb, with Cole being the #10 db/ster.

======================================
Obviously, there is room for upgrades, but this group of 10 is a bit better than what we had in 2011.

SAFETY
2011 Ihedigbo
2012 Gregory

CORNER
2011 Molden, Jones
2012 Dowling, Allen, Cole
=========================
TO REVIEW

CORNER McCourty, Arrington, Dowling, Moore, Allen
SAFETY Chung, Gregory, Barrett
DB/ST Brown, Cole

8 position defensive backs should be enough, since we have corners who can play safety if there are injuries, in addition to using corners as safeties in certain sets.

I welcome further additions, especially at safety. But this is good place to be after a week of free agency.

I htink you are overlooking a DB that will be heard from. With all the WR signings, I think the very typical conversion of a college QB to a Free Safety is proceeding at full steam. Whether he is readyin 2012 or 2013 is the question, but Julian Edelman will be a good Free Safety, sooner or later. Meanwhile he covers his keep as a very able PR.

Marquice Cole can actually play cornerback, so he is an upgrade to Julian Edelman.

But Edelman was an upgrade over anyone at Safety not named Chung (and sometimes not even then).

At least Will Allen provides injury insurance to the cornerback position during training camp and preseason.

But who provides injury insurance to Will Allen?

I actually like this signing provided the contract is for one year at the vet minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents