Patriots receive fourth round compensatory pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Comp picks to be awarded- soon.

Comp picks will be awarded to teams this week and could be as early as today.
2014 NFL compensatory pick projections

According to this article, the Patriots will recieve a 6th round Comp pick for the loss of Patrick Chung. Also the writer gives kudo's to Miguel.:rocker:

The bad news is that our 5th and 2 6th round picks will be lower. counting on my fingers and toes, our 2 6th rounders will be 14 spots lower due to Comp picks awarded in the previous round.

This is not exactly breaking news as many expected the Patriots to get a 6th rounder. But it is timely as it could happen today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Re: Comp picks to be awarded- soon.

Seeing a debate on twitter over whether we'll get 2 picks or not.

If that 6th rounder falls at #199, I suggest we take a QB. :D

As for the comp picks lowering our current late round picks, I'm not too worried. I've always viewed picks in the 6th and 7th (and maybe even the 5th) rounds as basically guaranteed priority UDFA's. I feel like they have a similar chance of working out, with the only difference being the player has no choice but to go to you. Having a 6th rounder be number 161 or 199, I think you're almost throwing darts at that point anyway.

As for the comp picks lowering our current late round picks, I'm not too worried. I've always viewed picks in the 6th and 7th (and maybe even the 5th) rounds as basically guaranteed priority UDFA's. I feel like they have a similar chance of working out, with the only difference being the player has no choice but to go to you. Having a 6th rounder be number 161 or 199, I think you're almost throwing darts at that point anyway.

Didn't the Patriots once actually pass a few picks on a 7th rounder because they didn't have a clear top target for it ... and wind up using it on David Givens?

Seeing a debate on twitter over whether we'll get 2 picks or not.

The big question is whether Sopoaga counts or not.

On the one hand, Drew Stanton counted against the team that traded for him one week after FA started.

OTOH, the Sopoaga trade happened after the end of the normal period for signing UFAs under the formula, and he had more playing time with PHI than he did with NE.

We'll learn this week whether the trade cost the Pats a pick or not.

The big question is whether Sopoaga counts or not.

On the one hand, Drew Stanton counted against the team that traded for him one week after FA started.

OTOH, the Sopoaga trade happened after the end of the normal period for signing UFAs under the formula, and he had more playing time with PHI than he did with NE.

We'll learn this week whether the trade cost the Pats a pick or not.
Compared to Drew Stanton, this situation is almost like comparing apples and oranges. The free agency period begins when the league year starts and ends when training camp begins. Philadelphia should be charged with the signing.

Compared to Drew Stanton, this situation is almost like comparing apples and oranges. The free agency period begins when the league year starts and ends when training camp begins. Philadelphia should be charged with the signing.

FWIW, it's a gray area that's never been addressed before. We know that Stanton did count against the team that traded for him(!), and that was the basis the author of the article used for saying Sopoaga counts against NE.

He may be right, he may not.

FWIW, it's a gray area that's never been addressed before. We know that Stanton did count against the team that traded for him(!), and that was the basis the author of the article used for saying Sopoaga counts against NE.

He may be right, he may not.

The author also probably saw Adamjt13's comment that traded players count against the team that ends up with the player. Given that Adamjt13 WAS the comp picks guru, it is not a bad idea to rely on his expertise.

For better or worse, we should know the compensatory picks by this time tomorrow. Most of the business is done by them.

I just think it's great that Chung's going to be doing more for the Patriots by leaving than he did in his last year there.

Thought it'd be a 6th so a 4th is a nice bonus!

Wow, sweet. That's a pretty good pick in a loaded draft class.

Insert Mr. Burns gif here

Well, the Ravens made out pretty nicely:

Ravens awarded one third-round pick, two fourth-rounders and a fifth-round compensatory draft pick

additional 4th round pick according to various beat writers on twitter.. nice, nice..

additional 4th round pick according to various beat writers on twitter.. nice, nice..

Yup very nice.

This is all of the picks awarded –

- 3 33-97 Pittsburgh
- 3 34-98 Green Bay
- 3 35-99 Baltimore
- 3 36-100 San Francisco
- 4 33-133 Detroit
- 4 34-134 Baltimore
- 4 35-135 Houston
- 4 36-136 Detroit
- 4 37-137 New York Jets
- 4 38-138 Baltimore