Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Comments on Welker's Contract Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: Ian Logue

As Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker continues to have a record setting season, he's certainly making a case for a strong pay day once he finishes out the final year of his contract here in New England. Owner Robert Kraft talked about it on Friday in a r...

Robert Kraft said:
“First of all, any guy who plays on our team I can look at face to face, and his eyes are at my level, or maybe a tad lower, is pretty exciting.”

Quote of the week.

:rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Give the beast his deserved contract or I'll DEMOLISH something.

Last edited:
By: Ian Logue

As Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker continues to have a record setting season, he's certainly making a case for a strong pay day once he finishes out the final year of his contract here in New England. Owner Robert Kraft talked about it on Friday in a r...

Aw hell, here come Felger and Mazz (aka Vulgar and Spazz) with their Pats are cheap talk...

Last edited:
Call it what you want. Welker was a no name until he arrived in New England from Miami. Not saying he's not talented. Any of you confident that Hernandez, Gradkowski and Woodhead would succeed in Oakland or Cincinnati?

Welker will turn 31 in 2012 so there is a concern on paying too much for future performance based on past history.

There are no significant free agents besides Welker in 2012 so they could use 2011 available cap money for a big guaranteed bonus now and ease Welker's mind a little bit as he runs across the middle.

I feel somehow Welker deserves to give Pats a hometown discount as Belichick took a $18 million gamble on a undrafted short WR. Imagine if Welker signed a 5 year deal with the Dolphins,he might be out of a football by now as he had no talented QB's to get him the ball.

Call it what you want. Welker was a no name until he arrived in New England from Miami. Not saying he's not talented. Any of you confident that Hernandez, Gradkowski and Woodhead would succeed in Oakland or Cincinnati?

Welker was a "no-name" because of just how pathetic the LOLphins were.

After all, consider this list of leaders (among players active in 2010) in all-purpose yardage:

1. Lady Tomlinson 18,047 yards/11 years
2. Derrick Mason 17,122/15
3. Terrell Owens, 16,263/15
4. Randy Moss, 15,212/13
5. Fred Taylor, 14,079/13
6. Steve Smith, 13,886/11
7. Joey Galloway, 12,863/16
8. Wes Welker, 12,840/8
9. Tony Gonzalez, 12,795/15
10. Hines Ward, 12,579/14
11. Thomas Jones, 12,539/12
12. Ricky Williams, 12,267/13
13. Kevin Faulk, 12,247/13

When in doubt we can play TAG:)

sign the BEAST

Is this an ominous sign, or am I being overly concerned and reading the tea leaves incorrectly?

Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Comments on Welker’s Contract Situation : Ian's New England Patriots Blog

If money is the most important thing, we’ll have trouble getting a deal done. I just want to say this, whether it’s Wes Welker or Tom Brady or Logan Mankins or any player, when we decide what our limit is on what we can afford to pay a player, it’s not like whatever we don’t pay to that player the Kraft family are putting in their pockets. It’s about trying to build a team and have certain disciplines, and knowing that you need a team of 53 players on your roster.

“So whatever money we don’t give to Wes Welker is going to go to other players to build a team. But he is pretty special and comes from a great family. We couldn’t have asked for a better guy. His performance, what he did last year coming back from the injury, and now doing what he is doing [with] his performance this year, is great.”

Last edited:
Is this an ominous sign, or am I being overly concerned and reading the tea leaves incorrectly?

Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Comments on Welker’s Contract Situation : Ian's New England Patriots Blog

He also said this, though:

I just want to say this, whether it’s Wes Welker or Tom Brady or Logan Mankins or any player, when we decide what our limit is on what we can afford to pay a player, it’s not like whatever we don’t pay to that player the Kraft family are putting in their pockets.

I think he was speaking in general terms. I think everyone in that building understands just how important Welker is to the team.

I feel somehow Welker deserves to give Pats a hometown discount as Belichick took a $18 million gamble on a undrafted short WR. Imagine if Welker signed a 5 year deal with the Dolphins,he might be out of a football by now as he had no talented QB's to get him the ball.

Welker was their #1 target in free agency. The only gamble, given how badly he had hurt the Patriots in their six matchups, was whether or not Welker would use his powers for good or for awesome.

Belichick made him say that. Remember Bledsoe, Max Lane, Rucci, Law and Milloy? Kraft is actually a softie, a fan for his favorites. He has to have some bargaining stance.

Seriously, I was of the school that Welker was uniquely a fit for this team and wouldn't have a real lot of bargaining powere, because he wouldn't do nearly as well elsewhere.

No more. The guy has elevated himself. I don't know how long a contract, but he's worth some big bucks, and he'll now get it elsewhere, if not here IMO.

Wes isn't Asante, he isn't Ty Law, he will not sell out to the highest bidder vs. the opportunity to contend for championships. He was recently on the Dan Patrick show with the stipulation that there would be no money/contract talk. When Asante left town, Welker stated that he took dollars over championships when making his decision to sign with the Eagles. He ain't taking about feeding his family, like Mr. Law did. Kraft wants him to retire a Patriot, and I feel fairly confident that actually has a great chance if occurring. He'll get the good, but not break the bank offer from the Patriots, and he will sign on the dotted line. The Pats got Vince done, Brady done, Mankins done, and there gonna get Wes done. As far as I'm concerned, the sky isn't falling as it pertains to Welker remaining a Patriot.

72716123.jpg

Gradkowski has never succeeded anywhere...and I believe he gave Oakland a try...:bricks:

Robert has said the same about Brady more than once. In fact in interviews right after he won the franchise it's third ring and the mediots opted to give his MVP to his WR...Kraft stated that they wanted to get an extension done with Brady but if he wanted Manning money it would be a tough deal to get done...

He only says that about guys who may have a case for top dollar whom they still have every intention of retaining...

They will probably find a way to make Wes the highest paid slot receiver (or guy under 5'8") in the league... If Wes (or his agent) even requires that kind of spin. I just don't get why they haven't already found a way to get 'er done since doing so now would clearly allow them to construct a cap friendly deal over the next couple of flat cap seasons. But then again they chose not to budge on Mankins and Wilfork until they'd tagged them...when in the end it appears they got deals they would have certainly taken the season before...

Wes isn't Asante, he isn't Ty Law, he will not sell out to the highest bidder vs. the opportunity to contend for championships.

The only potential danger is this: could there be a contending team willing to throw a lot more to Welker than the Pats?

The only potential danger is this: could there be a contending team willing to throw a lot more to Welker than the Pats?
They won't get a chance to because he will be tagged. And good as he is no one is going to part with two firsts for the chance to sign a 31 year old slot WR...even if he's the best one in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe