Patriots OTAs Can Give Early Glimpse of 3rd Down RB Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots OTAs Can Give Early Glimpse of 3rd Down RB Competition

Steve Balestrieri

With the loss of Shane Vereen, the Patriots running back by committee approach will be looking to replace a lot of production in the passing game.

Continue reading...

FIRST DOWN BACK (pick 2)
I find it interesting that have Blount, Gray and Bolden in this position. This would mean that Gray would need to look awfully good to get any reps for Game One. Gray might make the roster as a backup.

THIRD DOWN BACK (pick 2)
As you say this position is wide open: White, Cadet, Lewis and Gaffney. I would add Bolden to this mix, since he has been our 3rd down back in the past. Bolden certainly could be the backup at this "position".

GAFFNEY
Gaffney seems to be the player everyone is rooting for, including Belichick. If Gaffney looks good in camp, it seems that Belichick will fine a place for him.

BOLDEN
Bolden seems likely to make the 53, since he can backup on all downs, and he has looked good when given an opportunity to carry the ball. In addition, he plays lots of special teams.

FULLBACK (pick 1)
You listed Develin as a running back. If he makes the team, it will be as a fullback, where he has been successful in the past. Belichick needs to decide whether to continue giving Josh a fullback as one of the 53 man squad. Some running teams do have a fullback. The position is rare for a passing team.

I guess the question is how much more effective our 1st down running backs are with a fullback. Develin was worth a roster spot with Ridley and Vereen as our running backs. It is not at all clear whether the same will be true with this year's or next year's running backs.

If there is no fullback, the position could be used for a developmental RB like Gaffney or for a special teamer like Bolden. The position could also be used to carry a 4th blocking TE who could be an H-back if needed (Hooman).

We may not even decide who made the cut until after Week 1. Against live bullets. Blount is out for that game. Maybe we keep 4; Gray, Gaffney, Bolden, 3rd down back and cut one after that game. Gaffney isn't really elusive enough to be your 3rd down back. He's a grinder. I think he'll beat Gray out. Seems like the 3rd down back will be from; Cadet, White or Lewis. I'm not crazy about any of them to be honest with you.

We may not even decide who made the cut until after Week 1. Against live bullets. Blount is out for that game. Maybe we keep 4; Gray, Gaffney, Bolden, 3rd down back and cut one after that game. Gaffney isn't really elusive enough to be your 3rd down back. He's a grinder. I think he'll beat Gray out. Seems like the 3rd down back will be from; Cadet, White or Lewis. I'm not crazy about any of them to be honest with you.
The thing that Gaffney brings to the table is that he is a good pass blocker. I still remember what
happened when Sammy Morris replaced Kevin Faulk for game one in 2010.

The thing that Gaffney brings to the table is that he is a good pass blocker. I still remember what
happened when Sammy Morris replaced Kevin Faulk for game one in 2010.

Really important for that 3rd down back to be able to pick up blitzes. My preference is Ahmad Bradshaw. If he's recovered from his broken foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft