PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots offered Mankins Top 3 Guard Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
This agent is sure spending a lot of time talking to the media. Won't get him anywhere with this team. He should know that. It didn't work well for other agents.

Deion Branch says hi.

A DE, RB or OL would work for me. Anything to get some value from the player.

I know it's a pipe dream but Mankins and Maroney for Stephen Jackson would be really good for both teams IMO. It would help us dramatically but the Rams would get a viable RB with less wear and tear plus a pro bowl Guard to go with the two tackles they drafted high the past two years.

jackson:
8/21/2008: Signed a six-year, $44.805 million contract. The deal contains $20.5 million guaranteed, including an $11.395 million signing bonus. Another $4.495 million is available through incentives. He must average 1,200 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving over the first four years to void the final two seasons on his contract. 2010: $6.105 million, 2011: $7.2 million, 2012-2013: $7 million (Voidable Years), 2014: Free Agent

he's currently about 100 yards short of the receiving yards --- not sure how a 2011 stoppage would figure in.

I like jackson, but I really have no idea if he can block, I don't believe we can trade mankins when he hasn't signed, and 6-7m is a little steep for a rb.

This agent is sure spending a lot of time talking to the media. Won't get him anywhere with this team. He should know that. It didn't work well for other agents.

It's almost comical. He could get on his knees and start crying and it wouldn't get a reaction.

I wonder if this agent is a rube. I put his name and company name up and can't even find a web site. He seems to have clients, but i wonder if he just gave them a good sell job.

It's increasingly reading like Logan Mankins is receiving some incredibly poor advice from his agent Frank Bauer. Reading Bauer's comments it's easy to infer that the disconnect appears to be coming from exceptionally poor management.

I can't see how the Patriots don't come out of this smelling like roses and Mankins like a fat cow in a field of **** given it's been reported he was to be paid top three guard money with large guarantees.

Great points.

Wilfork got his and Brady will get his because they are team players and showed up to work and did not try to negotiate in the press. You don’t hear the Pats sending messages through the media on this, it’s only coming from Mankins agent. That clearly shows his agent played his best hand and lost. He is now trying to garner sympathy through the press, which of course will not come when you were offered that kind of money.

Last edited:
The Patriots probably consider the 2010 RFA amount to be part of the previous contract, not the new one, and, therefore, don't count it. Again, that's reason for turning it down but not for the wording used.

Considering the RFA tender as part of the previous contract is a stretch, IMO. The proposed deal covered 6 years (2010/11/12/13/14/15).

Wilfork got his and Brady will get his because they are team players and showed up to work and did not try to negotiate in the press.

Wilfork did plenty of talking to the press, even said he'd go play for the Dolphins.

Here comes the inevitable smear campaign and character assassination of Logan Mankins!!

No matter what spin the Patriots and the media try to put out there, the most detailed reports still suggest that Mankins was offered 1/5 lower what the highest paid guard was offered.

Bill Simmons newest article covers a similar situation where John Hannah held out from the Pats, for similar reasons:
Bill Simmons: NFL training camp means holdouts - ESPN

That article also went into how Brady basically got screwed by the Pats because he took a massive discount with his 2005 deal, and the Pats didn't really use that extra money to help keep the core around (like Branch).

On the radio a few weeks ago, one of the hosts recounted how after that 1st championship, when they renegotiated with Brady the Pats still insisted on not paying a paltry $20,000 bonus. In the 2005 deal, Brady never forgot this and made them re-add that bonus into the contract!!

You seem not to be aware that the Patriots pay to the salary cap.

It's beyond homerism to just call Mankins a 'piece of crap'.
He has a ton of respect in the locker room, and by all accounts from when he was drafted all the way to now, is a guy who sticks to his principles.
It's not like he's pulling a Revis and holding out with 3 years still left on his contract. He played out the entirety of his crappy rookie deal, while other teams re-upped their key players from his same draft class before those contracts expired.

And that's what the Patriots tried to do, re-up with him before his contract was up.

Re: The next domino to fall in the Mankins saga

Mankins' agent really needs to be fired. That just isn't how you negotiate. At best, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I do not think that the patriots made any offers to Mankins before his contract expired in February.

And that's what the Patriots tried to do, re-up with him before his contract was up.

Last edited:

That's incorrect. The contract offer came this offseason. Mankins was a free agent.

Look, the reality is that the Patriots decided to play hard ball with Mankins about the RFA situation. People can assert what they did was good, just or right all they want. That's basically irrelevant, because Mankins thinks it was an underhanded move, and his position has obvious merit.

If it wasn't for the genius of Belichick Mankins would have been drafted in the 2nd round and receive 2nd round money. Still yet he may have been drafted by a lesser team and still not have any recognition for how good he is. He would have already signed his 2nd contract ... probably not for anywhere near what the Patriots offered him.

He's done okay in the NFL ... he got the good 1st round contract ... screw him ... he's dead to me.

Can he play left defensive tackle???

This is a perspective I haven't heard before, and I can't say it's not the truth.

1. He was called a reach when the Patriots drafted him. Check.
2. He earned first round money because the Patriots reached. Check.
3. He made the Pro Bowl because he happened to be on the most insane offense in history. Check.
4. He would have signed his next contract after his 3rd year, and it wouldn't have been anywhere near 3rd best guard in the NFL money. Check.

He should be grateful. For a big tough guy, he's a big baby.

Last edited:
I'm confused how everyone is certain about what happened and what the offer was when none of that is clear?

let's call it for what it is at this point. He wants his payday (yeah, yeah, he's an upstanding citizen, blah, blah, blah), and he wants it now. There's nothing wrong with that. This is when these football players earn the bulk of their livelihood for their lifetimes and I don't blame them if they don't pull a Tedy Bruschi and take half their fair market value. He wants to be traded to the highest bidder, but the problem is that the other team's total cost would be a high draft pick and a very sizeable contract. So, he's playing hardball and is trying desperately to force the Patriots hand in a trade by announcing to the media that the Patriots are dead to him. This way it can lower the Pats asking price (draft picks) and he can get a bigger contract. He's desperate now because the longer he's out of football, the less money he'll receive. The worst case scenario is that he holds out for most of the season, doesn't earn much money, and enters a free agent market when there's going to be a lockout. Sucks to be Mankins if that happens. Oh and the Pats can always tag him and trade him cheap (to a team that he'd agree to naturally).

Re: The next domino to fall in the Mankins saga

Mankins' agent really needs to be fired. That just isn't how you negotiate. At best, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hmmm....yes yes .... Everything the pats do is right and everything to do with mankins is wrong. Maybe mankins is firing the pats

I actually think this article indicates they are closer than ever to getting Mankins here.
There is absolutely no reason for the agent to whine about the team not contacting him, and to say 'people usually get these things done' unless he is softening and wants a way back to the table.
It seems to me they felt the Pats would buckle, and they havent and now the agent is crying to the media. Why do that?
This seems like a very common first step in a player softening his stance and trying to open the lines of communication.
If he wasn't open to going back to the table he would have said they burned their bridge, he would have discussed how he is demanding a trade. Didnt do that.
Could be wrong, but that article screamed to me as an agent whos plan is failing to get the response he was angling for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes