PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots' obituary ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=125953

"Their reign is already over," Browns head coach Romeo Crennel said. "They lost last year. It’s not like they’re defending champions anymore. The Steelers are champions now. The Patriots still might be able to do it again. Who knows?"

"The system is designed to gain and then lose. At some point everyone’s going to lose, and then you get better and do it again. I think the Patriots understand that.

"They’ve got the four major pieces in place, Brady and Bill and Scott and of course their owner. They just have to understand the system is stacked against them."

"It’s important that there’s change," said Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid. "Change can be good. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and lose a player people like. Bill’s track record in that area speaks for itself.
"I don’t see them slipping. They’ll keep building and rebuilding."

"On paper, things can look one way, but you still have to do it on the field," Crennel said, "and the Pats have shown they can lose key players and still find a way to get it done.

"I know those guys up there. They’ll fill whatever spots need to be filled and be competitive again."

Last edited:
:bricks:

That just doesn't sound RAC-like.

What RAC said sounds exactly like what BB would say, we aren't the champs, these guys don't focus on the past just the present.

Personally I love this the media will bury the Pats they will no longer be the story, and BB won't let the players forget it!

well i read the whole article and it really isnt a obituary in my opinion..what do we expect they say - "no one stands a chance against the pats " or "they will keep winning "?

This comment doesnt seem like any obituary.John tomase is just writing catchy headings to his articles.

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie, a Massachusetts native, watches the Patriots with interest. He’s a close friend of the Krafts and booster of the team when they’re not playing the Eagles.
He’s somewhat bemused by the heat the Patriots have taken. While the team has largely sat out free agency, he noted that many of the Patriots’ best players were acquired by other means.
"Part of what makes the NFL fun is that fan debate," Lurie said. "But how well the Patriots do is going to be based on how well they draft. And they know that. They’ve got a phenomenal coach and management team in place. They’ll stick to what they feel is the best way to build their team.
"Sometimes you have to let a Willie McGinest go. But let’s face it, if they can get another Richard Seymour in the draft, that’s pretty great."
"

I read that this morning...it's not meant as it appears. It's meant just how these guys are...even if you win, your reign is over when mini-camp after the draft begins.

The mood of that article represents the mood of the rest of the league:

We will do everything to prevent a dynasty from happening. You got your 3 in 4, now GO AWAY!

How dare you compare yourselves to the hallowed greats, you're only doing it with everyone against you.

Hmmmmm! When was the last time they had a Pats obituary? Oh yeah, wasn't it in 2001 when we were the unanimous pick as the least likely team to win a SuperBowl in the next 5 years?!?!

:D

SVN said:
Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie, a Massachusetts native, watches the Patriots with interest.
"How well the Patriots do is going to be based on how well they draft. And they know that. They’ve got a phenomenal coach and management team in place. They’ll stick to what they feel is the best way to build their team."
"

The Patriots will be as good as they draft!!!!!

Let's look at the depth chart on who is still on the team, and see who has been drafted.

Brady -- draft
Cassell -- draft
Kevin Faulk -- draft
Patrick Pass -- draft
Branch -- draft
Troy Brown -- draft from a long time ago
Bethel Johnson -- drafted (might not be on the team next year).
Daniel Graham -- draft
Ben Watson -- draft
Light -- draft
Mankins -- draft
Koppen -- draft
Neal -- undrafted FA pickup
Kaczur -- drafted
Ty Warren -- drafted
Wilfork -- drafted
Richard Seymour -- drafted
Green -- drafted
Hill -- drafted
Wright -- undrafted FA pickup
Klecko -- drafted (might not be on the team next year).
TBC -- drafted
Bruschi -- drafted
Claridge -- drafted
Samuel -- drafted
Hobbs -- drafted
Randall Gay -- undrafted FA pickup
Euguene Poole -- drafted
Gus Scott -- drafted
James Sanders -- drafted

And now for those that aren't drafted

Corey Dillon
Heath Evans
Caldwell (FA, million $, no signing bonus, is farther along than any potential rookies).
Bam Childress
Hochstein
Gorin
Chad Scott
Poteat
Hawkins
Colvin
Vrabel
Beisel
Don Davis
Izzo
Murc
Harrison
Josh Miller
Lonny Paxton

Only Colvin, Harrison and Vrabel were our major FA acquisitions. Dillon was traded for, and Vrabel was picked up on the "cheap." As one can plainly see, the Pats don't sign FA, they draft their future starters (see Eugene Poole in place of Milloy) which comprise their core. So kick back, relax and wait for the draft.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
The Patriots will be as good as they draft!!!!!

Let's look at the depth chart on who is still on the team, and see who has been drafted.

Brady -- draft
Cassell -- draft
Kevin Faulk -- draft
Patrick Pass -- draft
Branch -- draft
Troy Brown -- draft from a long time ago
Bethel Johnson -- drafted (might not be on the team next year).
Daniel Graham -- draft
Ben Watson -- draft
Light -- draft
Mankins -- draft
Koppen -- draft
Neal -- undrafted FA pickup
Kaczur -- drafted
Ty Warren -- drafted
Wilfork -- drafted
Richard Seymour -- drafted
Green -- drafted
Hill -- drafted
Wright -- undrafted FA pickup
Klecko -- drafted (might not be on the team next year).
TBC -- drafted
Bruschi -- drafted
Claridge -- drafted
Samuel -- drafted
Hobbs -- drafted
Randall Gay -- undrafted FA pickup
Euguene Poole -- drafted
Gus Scott -- drafted
James Sanders -- drafted

And now for those that aren't drafted

Corey Dillon
Heath Evans
Caldwell (FA, million $, no signing bonus, is farther along than any potential rookies).
Bam Childress UDFA
Hochstein
Gorin
Chad Scott
Poteat
Hawkins
Colvin
Vrabel
Beisel
Don Davis
Izzo
Murc UDFA
Harrison
Josh Miller
Lonny Paxton

Only Colvin, Harrison and Vrabel were our major FA acquisitions. Dillon was traded for, and Vrabel was picked up on the "cheap." As one can plainly see, the Pats don't sign FA, they draft their future starters (see Eugene Poole in place of Milloy) which comprise their core. So kick back, relax and wait for the draft.
A minor correction to your record.

Nice compilation! It's pretty amazing to see the roster broken down like that. BB and SP pretty much kick all the ass when it comes to the draft. Can't wait til the end of April.

"What we do" - BB

Dank Franklin said:
Nice compilation! It's pretty amazing to see the roster broken down like that. BB and SP pretty much kick all the ass when it comes to the draft. Can't wait til the end of April.

"As we like to say around here in NE, we're not so much looking to collect talent but rather to create a team." -- BB

Now that other teams are full monty trying to copy-cat the BB/SP modus, it starts to get very interesting. RAC and other BB proteges will certainly try to use the same methods. Competition is rising. But if BB has the goods, he will deliver. A lot depends on the fire in his belly.

A Patriot dynasty is OK with me.

------------------

Box_O_Rocks said:
A minor correction to your record.
You beat me to it...saw the mistake..posted and deleted when I saw you already pointed it out... But to me the big thing is building a team which is unlike just collecting a handful of talent...WIth RAC Saban and Mangini, it will get interesting..they all have interpretation of what BB does..but do thay also understand and follow in all ways?? My sense is they do in some way but may not have the same model cap wise and will also have their own spin as well. Will be interesting to see how they fair this year.

Last edited:
I'm just assuming that "Eugene Poole" is a sly hip reference combining Eugene Wilson and Tyrone Poole?

PatsFanInVa said:
I'm just assuming that "Eugene Poole" is a sly hip reference combining Eugene Wilson and Tyrone Poole?
No, he was only in for one play before blowing out his gluteus maximus, I understand he's got a "hip" broadcasting career now. :cool:

Romeo Who?

Ex Patriots are like ex wives to me, who cares what they say. Nice player summary though. :D :D :D

PatsFanInVa said:

hahaha. I was just a little tired last night and made a slip-up.

But my point is that since for the Pats it has always been about the success of our draft, why should BB change now? (especially with Sey and Branch on the horizon)

I remember quite clearly the "NT hole" that one year, that wasn't gone until we traded for Ted Washington for a 4th. I also remember the huge controversy on who would play C after Woody.

I think we will get an OLB in the 1st just because of how good a LB year it is. On offense, I think most of our sets are going to have Branch, Graham, Watson in it, with Caldwell as possibily the deep threat. I think our WR bench will be composed of Troy Brown and the rookie WRs. And as far as kicker, with 11 picks, I'll lay money that we draft one, sign another 2, and see how camp goes. Worse comes to worse, we could wait for a young kicker to get released (like that young kicker behind Stover of the Ravens).

cubedoggy said:
Actually, the article (by the lately-ubiquitous John Tomase) is entitled "Have the Best Days Gone By?"

Let it be stated for the record that the only person to dub it a "Patriots' obituary" is Mikey, the starter of this thread, who also happens to be a slimy troll.
:rocker: ..

To Romey, Mikey and anyone else who thinks it our dynasty is over: It ain't over until BB says it's over. And since he has never acknowledged that we had a dynasty, it can't be over.

A mesage from our youth movement:

baby_middlefinger.jpg

I love it! Disrespect fuels this team!!!!

I'll hapilly concede that all these other teams are having a great March!

Just look at all the great signings Buffalo has made over the years - and what did that get them?

I'm sure their fans and the fans for other teams have found great comfort in the fact that they whooped our ***** in free agency when they are watching us win the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft