PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots name Matt Groh as Director of Player Personnel

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
well this means that Wolf is staying...yay ! We lost too many personnel this off season. And yes last draft was great. Hoping for another one just like it.

How old is that Milford/projo article? I can’t find a date on it and the Ziegler supposition is OBE.

M
The snippet about BB consulting Groh gives weight the promotion.

How old is that Milford/projo article? I can’t find a date on it and the Ziegler supposition is OBE.

M
Spring of last year. Top right hand corner of the article.

Former Princeton QB with a law degree from U of Virginia.

I believe that UVA has an excellent law program.

Hopefully he can draft a WR worth keeping.

Hopefully BB does not overrule him on the pick:mad:

Can someone with a better memory correct me on this, but I seem to recall that after BB ignored his scouts and made one of his idiotic WR picks, a scout resigned. Does anyone know the details?

BB has shown himself to be highly adaptable to changing circumstances in the NFL. He is usually able to fix his mistakes and make corrections, but he has proven again and again that he cannot fix his WR weaknesses. It is totally beyond him.

More nepotism!

j/k I know nothing about him.

Hopefully BB does not overrule him on the pick:mad:

Can someone with a better memory correct me on this, but I seem to recall that after BB ignored his scouts and made one of his idiotic WR picks, a scout resigned. Does anyone know the details?
I havent heard about this. Do you recall who the WR was?

Kraft did publicly criticize the Pats drafting and BB did implement changes. It appears that Wolf and Groh play a big role now.

Kraft did publicly criticize the Pats drafting and BB did implement changes. It appears that Wolf and Groh play a big role now.
It was Harry, the scout team were against that pick because of the blatant issues Harry has had with separation and route running, it was considered a weakness that will hamper his success in the NFL, they preferred and saw Samuel and Brown as a better fit over Harry. Harry had a great interview and impressed BB there, so based on the interview BB picked Harry and "overruled" the scout proposal. I can't recall whether any scout resigned after that.

Btw. Samuel wanted to be a Patriot coming out of college, but ended up being a 49er 4 picks later and way more successfull WR than Harry (will ever be)...
same is valid for AJ Brown, Hardman, Metcalf, McLaurin, Dionte Johnson, Hunter Renfrow, etc. that have been picked later.

Concerns with Harry where he projected compared to a former R1 WR called Laquon Treadwell that had similar issues when it comes to separation coming out of college, well Harry seems to end up having the same carrere in the NFL as Treadwell

Last edited:

Would love to see the Wolf get a nice title and big bump in pay.

It was Harry, the scout team were against that pick because of the blatant issues Harry has had with separation and route running, it was considered a weakness that will hamper his success in the NFL, they preferred Samuel. Harry had a great interview and impressed BB there, so based on the interview BB picked Harry and "overruled" the scout proposal. I can't recall whether any scout resigned after that.

Btw. Samuel wanted to be a Patriot coming out of college, but ended up being a 49er and way more successfull WR than Harry (will ever be)...
Wow, what could have been. Samuel is such a weapon.

I seem to recall Harry having injury issues at Arizona as well. And, now BB stubbornly keeps Harry on the team.

I like that it's a home grown guy of sorts. I also think it's worth noting that his area is in draft scouting, where Ziegler's was more in pro scouting. So where last year was a big free agency year for the team, their cap is more limiting in 2022, so the draft is their best bet to continue improving. I also like that he's unlikely to jump ship for a GM position elsewhere (at least less likely than Wolf would be if he were promoted and had a good year). I know BB is the final say on all things personnel, but having three different Directors in three years HAS to be disruptive. Hopefully Groh does well and can stabilize that role for a while.

Somebody mentioned nepotism & I've been looking much more askance at that lately... That shovel was cool until it stopped working, then it was just a guy on the sidelines looking like he missed his improv class for this.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back