PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots HOF nominees

WW clearly has a popularity issue in New England... Same with Vrabel... Vrabel has been a top 3 candidate 6 times so far, WW hasn't even made it to the top 3 ( It is my personal opinion that WW is the best receiver New England has ever had - Moss had more talent, but Welker was better ... if that makes sense to anyone but me, cool )

and Russ Francis absolutely belongs...
I know we differ on the criteria or at least what's of most importance. I lean on numbers and stats. Contribution to winning teams is important. I'm not into the the pre-and-post game speeches and "locker room presence." Leadership starts with your performance on the field during games, especially the most meaningful ones.

Welker's overall numbers are overwhelming. Too prolific to be ignored. I also think he's the best WR in franchise history. Moss was the most talented but essentially for one season. Stanley Morgan is the only competition for Wes as the franchise's all time best WR.

Russ Francis had some good seasons for the Patriots but I don't see enough collectively there from the 6 seasons.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Two former players and a former head coach have been selected as finalists for this year's induction into the Patriots Hall of Fame presented by Raytheon Technologies. This year's finalists (listed in alphabetical order) are offensive lineman Logan Mankins, head coach Bill Parcells and linebacker Mike Vrabel.

I know we differ on the criteria or at least what's of most importance. I lean on numbers and stats. Contribution to winning teams is important. I'm not into the the pre-and-post game speeches and "locker room presence." Leadership starts with your performance on the field during games, especially the most meaningful ones.

Welker's overall numbers are overwhelming. Too prolific to be ignored. I also think he's the best WR in franchise history. Moss was the most talented but essentially for one season. Stanley Morgan is the only competition for Wes as the franchise's all time best WR.

Russ Francis had some good seasons for the Patriots but I don't see enough collectively there from the 6 seasons.
There's a reason why guys like Matthew slater are recognized as team leaders... It begins on the field... I think we disagree on how important any given role is to a team... They wouldn't be in a leadership position in the locker room if they didn't exhibit leadership on the field...

As for Russ Francis I would say take a look at his contributions thru the lens of the era he played in... Who the QB was... The type of offense he was in... What his contemporaries in the league were doing... Might fill out the picture as to why he is held in such high esteem by the peeps who watched him play

There's a reason why guys like Matthew slater are recognized as team leaders... It begins on the field... I think we disagree on how important any given role is to a team... They wouldn't be in a leadership position in the locker room if they didn't exhibit leadership on the field...

As for Russ Francis I would say take a look at his contributions thru the lens of the era he played in... Who the QB was... The type of offense he was in... What his contemporaries in the league were doing... Might fill out the picture as to why he is held in such high esteem by the peeps who watched him play
Ask BB about him ...

My rank:

1. Julius Adams
2. Mosi Tatupu
3. Mike Vrabel
4. Russ Francis

8. Pete Brock
9. Lawyer Milloy
10. Logan Mankins
11. Wes Welker
12. John Smith

I don't think Fairbanks or Parcells should ever be invited into the Patriots HOF. No way.

Is Raymond Berry in there? He should be chosen 1,000 years before Fairbanks or Parcells.
Every time I see Tuna Sh!t named as a potential Pats HOFer I get nauseous. This is the guy who negotiated with our division rival during his last season here, took his eye off the ball in our 1st real shot at a SB win, didn't even fly back with the team after the loss and then stole Curtis Martin on the way to NJ. What reason in the world would the Pats have to honor him in any way? I don't get it and never will.

Well, again, I lean on numbers and stats. Not a favorable view for Slater. Contribution to winning teams is important. Not much here for Slater either, considering the overall low volume of plays, especially ones that don't just end with a dead ball (touchback, fair catch, etc.), and that generally he's not ever touching the football at all. ST generally just aren't nearly as importance as offense and defense, especially with the rule changes to improve player safety. Also, there have been plenty of ST players (Patriots or otherwise) who make significant contributions on offense or defense as well. Slater is not one. In summary, he just doesn't do enough.

I realize Slater is highly regarded by his peers, coaches, and fans, and he'll have the puniest bio of any Patriots hall of farmer, but he'll never get into the NFL HOF.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Two former players and a former head coach have been selected as finalists for this year's induction into the Patriots Hall of Fame presented by Raytheon Technologies. This year's finalists (listed in alphabetical order) are offensive lineman Logan Mankins, head coach Bill Parcells and linebacker Mike Vrabel.

As I've acknowledged, my opinion of HC Vrabel is clouding my opinion of NEP Vrabel. As well my opinion of Parcells entire career permeates my thoughts on his time with the Patriots. Although, he did provide the NEP franchise with instant credibility that it desperately needed at the time. And he brought them back to on-field relevance. All that said, Parcells gets my vote, and Mankins is second, with Vrabel third.

I don't think Parcells wins the fan vote, too many people apparently despise him, which means he's probably never getting in by fan vote. I can see Mankins winning this because too many Patriots fans won't be able to vote for Vrabel while he's roaming the Titans sideline as their HC.

And I have a new official designee... Most Underrated Patriots Player: Wes Welker

I am quite surprised that Welker is not a finalist.

Vrabel :thumbsup:

Well, again, I lean on numbers and stats.
I one day hope that you learn that the game is more than stats and numbers... Its about the players on the field, regardless of their role, doing whatever it is they do

when you come to that realization, maybe you might understand guys like me and all the applicable heretos and whyfors...

oh well... thanks for the enjoyable back and forth Craw. :thumbsup:

im not.

that one missed catch undid every ounce of good will welker had in new england for a lot of people
I don't think you're wrong. I think he also suffers in comparison to Jules, due to Jules' success in the post season.

BlushingGoldenIndianringneckparakeet-max-1mb.gif

I don't think you're wrong. I think he also suffers in comparison to Jules, due to Jules' success in the post season.

BlushingGoldenIndianringneckparakeet-max-1mb.gif
Excellent observation...

Remind me again, who's wally pipp?

Every time I see Tuna Sh!t named as a potential Pats HOFer I get nauseous. This is the guy who negotiated with our division rival during his last season here, took his eye off the ball in our 1st real shot at a SB win, didn't even fly back with the team after the loss and then stole Curtis Martin on the way to NJ. What reason in the world would the Pats have to honor him in any way? I don't get it and never will.
I could not have said it better

YES, a thousand times yes. What you said. Parcells-Pond Scum.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back