PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot's draft record surpriise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Can someone name me one team that hasn't had "alot of misses too"?

This. The people who think all of the team you cheer for's draft picks will be hits is a lunatic. Just because not every single player drafted didn't work out doesn't mean there is some failure in the drafting process. It happens.

This. The people who think all of the team you cheer for's draft picks will be hits is a lunatic. Just because not every single player drafted didn't work out doesn't mean there is some failure in the drafting process. It happens.

How is that possible when "half the people on this board could do a better job than BB without using a multi-million dollar scouting system"? :rolleyes:

I'm curious to which team hasn't missed in the draft on a regular basis?

So wtf....you guys are now arguing that the 06-08 drafts were a great success? How many guys from those drafts are even left on the team?

Maroney? Chad Jackson? David Thomas? Garrett Mills? Ghost,Yes! Ryan O'Callaghan? Jeremy Mincey? Dan Stevenson? Le Kevin Smith? Willie Andrews?
Meriweather,Yes! Kareem Brown? Clint Oldenburg? Justin Rogers? Mike Richardson? Justise Hairston? Corey Hilliard? Oscar Lua? Mike Elgin ? Welker through a trade (2nd round pick) if i'm not mistaken,Yes! Mayo,Yes! Terrence Wheatley? Shawn Crable? Kevin O'Connell? Jonathan Wilhite,yes!!!! Matt Slater,yes! Bo Ruud ?

We are good at drafting but not the best like everybody here seems to agree upon...the 06-08 drafts is my reasoning behind it.

So wtf....you guys are now arguing that the 06-08 drafts were a great success? How many guys from those drafts are even left on the team?

Maroney? Chad Jackson? David Thomas? Garrett Mills? Ghost,Yes! Ryan O'Callaghan? Jeremy Mincey? Dan Stevenson? Le Kevin Smith? Willie Andrews?
Meriweather,Yes! Kareem Brown? Clint Oldenburg? Justin Rogers? Mike Richardson? Justise Hairston? Corey Hilliard? Oscar Lua? Mike Elgin ? Welker through a trade (2nd round pick) if i'm not mistaken,Yes! Mayo,Yes! Terrence Wheatley? Shawn Crable? Kevin O'Connell? Jonathan Wilhite,yes!!!! Matt Slater,yes! Bo Ruud ?

We are good at drafting but not the best like everybody here seems to agree upon...the 06-08 drafts is my reasoning behind it.
I asked you an simple and straightforward question. Pull up the record of the other 31 teams, compare it against the Patriots, diagnose pick by pick team needs, selection and players available and provide me with your analysis compared to what's been forwarded as evidence in this thread.

That's all I am asking. :p

Last edited:

I don't see anyone here saying those drafts were spectacular, but CHFF (and the posters in this thread) are measuring a much bigger sample of 10 years. The more data you have, the more accurate your assessment.

The Pats poor drafting in recent years have been overstated. They had one bad year and one or two other not so great years. Name a team that doesn't go through a slump in drafting here and there.

I would also not consider 2007 a bad year as it netted the Pats Wes Welker and Randy Moss for 2nd/4th rounders.

The Pats poor drafting in recent years have been overstated. They had one bad year and one or two other not so great years. Name a team that doesn't go through a slump in drafting here and there.

Yeah...they are called the Lions and every ****ty bottom dweller for the past decade. I can't help but feel that a 3 year run of mostly misses costed us some big games.

Look at the 2009 Patriots...that was probably the weakest team we had the entire decade and the lack of talent was evident on both sides of the ball imo.

Who would you have rather taken in 08 after the Wheatley pick? At a glance, the only names that jump out at me are Jamaal Charles, Tom Zbikowski, and Jermichael Finley.

Terrell Thomas was taken one pick after Wheatley by the Giants and is a Pro Bowl caliber cornerback, much like Chad Jackson/Greg Jennings. I'm really hoping the same thing doesn't happen with Vereen/Leshoure.

I would also not consider 2007 a bad year as it netted the Pats Wes Welker and Randy Moss for 2nd/4th rounders.

That's not drafting though....you're getting players that have already proved themselves in the pro's. Luckily for us they both turned out to be better than expected.

Yeah...they are called the Lions and every ****ty bottom dweller for the past decade. I can't help but feel that a 3 year run of mostly misses costed us some big games.

Look at the 2009 Patriots...that was probably the weakest team we had the entire decade and the lack of talent was evident on both sides of the ball imo.

First, 2007 is not a bad draft because they only had two picks in the top five rounds and most of the picks were sixth and seventh rounders who don't usually make this or any top team long.

Second, the 2009 team still made the playoffs even with Brady returning from major injury and was playing with broken ribs and a finger for the tail end of the season. The 2002 team was clearly weaker and so was the 2008 team.

Third, I said name a team who hasn't gone through a slump. Naming the Lions as a example of a team that went a decade or two of poor drafting with some of the worst drafting in NFL history under Matt Millen isn't a counter argument to my point. Even teams like the Colts and Steelers who have had a long history of great drafting have had some clunker years (the Colts have flammed out in recent years with first and second round busts - Tony Ugoh who the Colts gave up a first round pick for, Donald Brown, looking like Jerry Hughes, Anthony Gonzalez).

There have been alot of misses for us too...i can't feel that we are the best drafting team. We are among the best but the best?

I'll be waiting for your list of teams that haven't missed on picks.

I'm beginning to get the feeling belichick knows something about football.

all 10 of their No. 1 picks were still playing in the league last year

Maroney is going to put that in danger with his massive 36/74 2.1 average last year in Denver. 4/50 receiving.

I'll be waiting for your list of teams that haven't missed on picks.

I'm beginning to get the feeling belichick knows something about football.

lol...i don't have the time and energy for that.

You might believe we are the best team in the NFL at drafting but i don't. Let's leave it at that.

You might believe we are the best team in the NFL at drafting but i don't. Let's leave it at that.

What is the name of your original account on these forums?

all 10 of their No. 1 picks were still playing in the league last year

Maroney is going to put that in danger with his massive 36/74 2.1 average last year in Denver. 4/50 receiving.

And that's damn unfortunate. He was so electric vs. the Bengals that year, and it just went down the crapper after the broken rib vs the Lions. I wonder if that injury messed his head up.

There have been alot of misses for us too...i can't feel that we are the best drafting team. We are among the best but the best?
You should take a look at who other teams draft every year. We're spoiled and most of us don't even know it.

The vast majority of players drafted are misses.

Random, your understandably defensive, and being stubborn.

The historical facts don't back your "feelings" on their drafting acumen.

My assumption is that your aggravation is born from the Patriots not addressing a perceived "need". But, like alot have already mentioned, your cherry picking information and ignoring the fact that the Patriots have had as many, if not more hits, than misses comparatively to the rest of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News