PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot's draft record surpriise

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that is where a majority of the picks of one of these drafts went. You can't have it both ways.

I'm not trying to have it any way. Getting Moss for a 4th rounder speaks more about the incompetence of Al Davis to me and given our need at WR at that time a 4th rounder for Moss was no big risk. I take the draft in the sense of evaluating unproven talent. Like i said before..we are among the best but 06-08 was just bad drafting to me.

As I wrote before, you are setting up a strawman. I have not seen anyone aggressively insist that the Patriots are the best team at drafting. (I am sure that there must be someone somewhere. I just have not run across him.) I think I can assure you that your original assessment has been long forgotten. People are responding to particular posts, not to your first post.

The people who are "attacking" you believe that you are under estimating the Patriots draft success. It seems you have not done a good job of communicating. Actually, I think you are a troll.

lol. if i had said that we are the best team in the NFL at drafting even though our 06-08 drafts were horrible,would any of those people even comment on my original assessment? i doubt it.

I love it when people give opinion which isn't backed by evidence, or, at the very least that "referenced material" suspiciously never sees these boards.

I think I'll go with my own observations and those of people who have put in actual research for reasonably respected publications.

So wtf....you guys are now arguing that the 06-08 drafts were a great success? How many guys from those drafts are even left on the team?

Maroney? Chad Jackson? David Thomas? Garrett Mills? Ghost,Yes! Ryan O'Callaghan? Jeremy Mincey? Dan Stevenson? Le Kevin Smith? Willie Andrews?
Meriweather,Yes! Kareem Brown? Clint Oldenburg? Justin Rogers? Mike Richardson? Justise Hairston? Corey Hilliard? Oscar Lua? Mike Elgin ? Welker through a trade (2nd round pick) if i'm not mistaken,Yes! Mayo,Yes! Terrence Wheatley? Shawn Crable? Kevin O'Connell? Jonathan Wilhite,yes!!!! Matt Slater,yes! Bo Ruud ?

We are good at drafting but not the best like everybody here seems to agree upon...the 06-08 drafts is my reasoning behind it.

Pioli is gone...it's all good now. Since his departure, newcomers Seabass and McCourty have been selected as All Pro with Gronkowski ready to be the next

I know people on patsfans always claim the 07 draft was poor, but I don't see how you could call a draft that produced Meriweather, Welker, and Moss a bad draft. Who cares that we didn't draft Welker and Moss. We entered the draft with a major hole at WR. We came out of the draft with what should have gone down as the best team in the history of the NFL. Unfortunetly two players made the best play of their entire careers on the same play. If you want to say the 06 and 08 drafts were poor, ok. Don't tell me BB did a bad job in 07.

Criticizing Draft Results with hindsight in your back pocket, is never a fair game to play. First of all, look at the talent drafted in the years the Patriots "failed" and list which talent they should had drafted [making it successful in your opinion]. Cross reference that with the team's NEEDS and what do you have?

Then remind yourself, that success isn't devoid of failures and one team's mistakes are likely a mistake made by another team. Rarely are teams' errors isolated instances.

The media applauds the Patriots for selecting Tom Brady, but even the Patriots "failed" a few times over before "succeeding".

But But But we didn't get clay mathews... BB sucks at drafting. he also didn't get the player i wanted this year... that makes him last in my books obviously lost his touch... P.S Trade Brady while he is valuable

Alas...another publication with many facts has him 9th and the Packers first. Another has him 14th. These are more relevant because it is in the last five years. I guess it is which one do you believe. I do not go with the Pats as one and you are a homer if you do. Too many factors that "coldhardfacts" dismisses.Ten years is the infancy of his reign and the Team had higher picks that they had to use.

First of all to be considered a good Drafter, you actually have to Draft not pass like it's some kind of a card game.

Sorry, I am not drinking the Koolaid. I am more interested in nearer today, not ten years ago.

As I said, greatest coach ever. Mediocre Drafter. Great teacher. He takes "C" value picks and makes them into "B" type players or "Very good" players. Just think if he actually took some more "A" or "B" type to start! He could make it easier on himself.
Likes to do it the hard way. Why? Is he more vested in the chess match itself?

The list of players he passed on is way too compelling, than those he tried to assemble into his vision. He has done well with whom he has chosen, but he left too many on the table with much more "VALUE" that he so preaches IMO.

I am starting to think Scouting may be an issue. When you Draft a kid who does not even think he would be Drafted, and whom you could have surely got as an UDFA (that is value??? Come on Bill!), to come in and have him replace another JAG like Slater whom he traded up for!!!!!,....... yes I stand on what I said about BB. Great coach..... mediocre Drafter. You want more?

Let's talk 2006 and 2008. If you talk ten years, those bad years are diluted. Talk five and he has 40% poopy Draft classes to start.

Greatest coach ever. His only wart is his fear of actually Drafting a player that does not fit every criteria so he trades out. Yet he picks up second tier guys and tries to mold them. Everything I say is true. He should trust his real board and look at how well he did with Mayo.
DW Toys

:bricks:

You say to be a good drafter, you actually have to draft people instead of passing. But you're missing a simple, fundamental fact: the man drafts more players than anyone else in the league!

Forget effectiveness. Forget efficiency. Your criticism is he doesn't draft people??? If we're talking simply about number of draft picks made, NO ONE beats BB. How can you overlook this?

The guy has made 33 draft picks in the past 3 drafts, including 16 in the first 3 rounds, or almost double what everyone else has.

The Chargers were stacked in this draft due to the Cromartie/Whitehurst trades, so they were able to match him with 5 picks in the top 3 rounds, but over the past 3 drafts they've only made 9 total. The Packers are popular lately, but they've only made 8 picks during the same period. The Steelers have made 10.

So yes, BB trades picks. He also makes them, a lot of them, and at the top of the draft too.

As for the type of talent, I believe coaching matters, but I also think BB puts a lot into a prospect's ability to learn and accept coaching. That's why he passes on an "A" talent like Dez Bryant for a "C" talent like McCourty I suppose. Or maybe a prospect's intelligence, determination, and desire should also be factored more significantly into their rating.

As for BB coaching up inferior athletes while leaving "value" on the board, that's just ridiculous, and a way to be critical of even great picks. You could argue every draft has value left on it. Whenever you pick someone earlier than someone who's better, that's value you could have had. So someone like Mankins was considered a reach by many at #31. But was it really? In the same draft, Pac Man went #6. Is that an "A" athlete? What about Troy Williamson at #7, or Mike Williams at #10, or David Pollack at #17, or Alex Barron at #19, or Matt Jones at #21, on and on and on. Lots of teams leave plenty of value on the board by blowing picks on guys who are athletes but not football players. But the Pats get a Pro Bowler at #31 and we're leaving value on the board.

I love the bit about taking only 2006 to 2008 because 10 years dilutes the bad drafts. That's sort of the point. We're looking at an entire track record. You're omitting the beginning because it doesn't fit. And now you're ignoring the end because it doesn't fit too. You look at a specific 3-year window because it's the worst part of it. It's like judging Peyton Manning by his awful 3-game stretch last season.

The funniest part is now you're ignoring the last few drafts, which are the most recent history.

There were some poor decisions in that time period. But again, if you look at the entire history, or even recent history, you see a much different story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back