PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot's draft record surpriise

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the latter point, consider Andre Tippett.. who many think should be in the hall of fame, however he suffered because he was a really great player on pyss poor teams.

In the NFL you are a product of the system in which you play..

He is, at long last, in the Hall of Fame. I loved his speech.

i just went through the drafts of other top teams from the decade...there are bad drafts,some are average but none of them have 3 bad drafts in a row.

Our 2001-2005 drafts are pretty damn good.Each year producing good players. Then 3 bad drafts. And now what looks to be 3 pretty good drafts from 09 to 11 that have produced alot of starters and contributors.

The Chargers,Steelers,Ravens have been very consistent in my opinion.
There is no way you can consider 2007 a bad draft.

Aaron Hernandezhad absolutely no right falling into to the fourth round.

This is one of those picksthat was a round one talent that fell to round four because of foolish drug concerns. Kids will be kids.

Our window is right now the next 4-5 years

we have our trip tight ends and unfortunately for us when the contracts expire I fore see us only signing one of the two.that TE re-signed will be Rob GRONKOWSKI.I absolutely love Aaron Hernandez and the only way we keep him for another year would be to be renegotiate his current contract and add a couple years. The other would be slap the franchise tag on him.

I was under the interpretation that franchised players are allowed to go over the cap space. If I am wrong please correct me:cool:

in addition I would love to see Danny Woodhead as a career patriot. I sincerely hope he does not ask for the world in his next contract.

Last edited:
we have our trip tight ends and unfortunately for us when the contracts expire I fore see us only signing one of the two.that TE re-signed will be Rob GRONKOWSKI.I absolutely love Aaron Hernandez and the only way we keep him for another year would be to be renegotiate his current contract and add a couple years. The other would be slap the franchise tag on him.

Rookie contracts can't be renegotiated until the end of a player's second season. In any case, I don't think it's a given, especially if the Patriots continue to prefer TEs to WRs.

I was under the interpretation that franchised players are allowed to go over the cap space. If I am wrong please correct me:cool:

That was incorrect when the cap existed, and will almost certainly be incorrect in any new CBA.

Last edited:
Terrell Thomas was taken one pick after Wheatley by the Giants and is a Pro Bowl caliber cornerback, much like Chad Jackson/Greg Jennings. I'm really hoping the same thing doesn't happen with Vereen/Leshoure.

You can't measure a draft by second guessing. The Jackson and Wheatley picks were justifiable at the time. If you do that, you also have to measure the reverse: how many picks at that position were followed by washouts.

Arguing that we're the best team in the NFL at drafting is pure homerism when 3 entire drafts produce absolutely nothing but 2 average starters(1 isn't on the team and probably on his way out of the NFL) and 1 good one in Mayo.

You are setting up a straw man. Who is arguing that the Patriots are the best team at drafting? The article ranked the Patriots as first in drafting, but mostly the posters are arguing against the people who see the Patriot's drafting as mediocre at best. There is no definitive answer given the small sample sizes and the fact that every team's draft is different, but my impression is certainly that the Patriots do as well as anyone.

First of all to be considered a good Drafter, you actually have to Draft not pass like it's some kind of a card game.

So BB must be great, because hes drafted more 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks than anyone else in the last x years (x pretty much being any number less than 10)

Steelers,Ravens,Chargers. Lately Packers

That good enough for you? They have had misses but overall their drafts have been very consistent.

Arguing that we're the best team in the NFL at drafting is pure homerism when 3 entire drafts produce absolutely nothing but 2 average starters(1 isn't on the team and probably on his way out of the NFL) and 1 good one in Mayo.

2 Pro Bowlers + Gowkoski, Green-Ellis, Guyton .

Ravens 2003-2005 Suggs, Jarrett Johnson, Pashos and Adam Terry are the best of the group.

Chargers 2008-2010 Cason and Ryan Mathews not much else.

The Patriots are clearly in the top 2 or 3 teams at drafting talent. Anyone who objectively looks at what other teams do instead of just whining about Moreney and Chad Jackson can see this.

2 Pro Bowlers + Gowkoski, Green-Ellis, Guyton .

Ravens 2003-2005 Suggs, Jarrett Johnson, Pashos and Adam Terry are the best of the group.

Chargers 2008-2010 Cason and Ryan Mathews not much else.

The Patriots are clearly in the top 2 or 3 teams at drafting talent. Anyone who objectively looks at what other teams do instead of just whining about Moreney and Chad Jackson can see this.

We didn't draft Green-Ellis nor Guyton. And Brandon Meriweather is a pro bowler only thanks to the Patriots hype...he is an average safety.

My basis for judging was purely on the players drafted. If you factor in Moss and Welker as drafting skill then i'd have to agree on them being #1.

Last edited:
You are setting up a straw man. Who is arguing that the Patriots are the best team at drafting? The article ranked the Patriots as first in drafting, but mostly the posters are arguing against the people who see the Patriot's drafting as mediocre at best. There is no definitive answer given the small sample sizes and the fact that every team's draft is different, but my impression is certainly that the Patriots do as well as anyone.

I never said that they are mediocre. I said it a multiple times that the Patriots are among the best but not #1. Most disagreed.

I never said that they are mediocre. I said it a multiple times that the Patriots are among the best but not #1. Most disagreed.

Can you give me a few specific references? Where did you say that the Patriots are among the best but not #1 and most disagreed?

I believe that the Patriots are among the best, and I believe that there is no way to determine who is #1 in a really meaningful way.

Can you give me a few specific references? Where did you say that the Patriots are among the best but not #1 and most disagreed?

I believe that the Patriots are among the best, and I believe that there is no way to determine who is #1 in a really meaningful way.

There have been alot of misses for us too...i can't feel that we are the best drafting team. We are among the best but the best?

Post #3.

The comment regarding "alot of misses" is directed towards 06-08.

One other small point. The Pats are much more willing than other teams to keep an undrafted guy over a drafted player. It would have been very easy to cut Ryan Wendell and keep Larsen, or cut Pierre Woods and keep Mincey, to cut Guyton and keep Ruud, or continue to start butler and keep Wheatley but cut Arrington.

Their numbers would look a lot better if they weren't so active with waiver wire guys and cheap free agents and UDFAs and the like.

Post #3.

The comment regarding "alot of misses" is directed towards 06-08.

Maybe I do not understand what you mean by Post #3, but I can only find one person who questioned your comment. One does not constitute most. Oh, perhaps you meant most of the people who commented as opposed to a number of people commented and most insisted that the Patriots are #1.

I have not managed to not find the multiple times that you said that the Patriots are among the best teams at drafting. Your posts tend to give the opposite impression.

Let me add an edit just to be clear. Most people disagree with most of your posts. That is certainly true. It is not true that they disagree with you because they are insisting that the Patriots are the very best team at drafting and you are insisting they are only among the best.

Last edited:
Just on the basis of 06-08. That is not good drafting by any stretch of the imagination. Had we hit a homerun with just one of those picks we might be enjoying 1 extra title right now.

I kind of liked future HOF WR Randy Moss and Wes Welker...;):rocker:

I kind of liked future HOF WR Randy Moss and Wes Welker...;):rocker:

I didn't include Welker,Moss into my judgement since we didn't draft either of them. I judged purely on the rookies we drafted.

Let me add an edit just to be clear. Most people disagree with most of your posts. That is certainly true. It is not true that they disagree with you because they are insisting that the Patriots are the very best team at drafting and you are insisting they are only among the best.

lol, nitpicking my words and attacking me leads me to believe they disagree with my original assessment. They either think that the patriots are the #1 team at drafting or that the patriots aren't even among the best teams at drafting.

Rookie contracts can't be renegotiated until the end of a player's second season. In any case, I don't think it's a given, especially if the Patriots continue to prefer TEs to WRs.

That was incorrect when the cap existed, and will almost certainly be incorrect in any new CBA.

we have them for 4 yrs now 3 yrs.

do u think we can resign both??? after this year or w/e???

I didn't include Welker,Moss into my judgement since we didn't draft either of them. I judged purely on the rookies we drafted.

But that is where a majority of the picks of one of these drafts went. You can't have it both ways.

lol, nitpicking my words and attacking me leads me to believe they disagree with my original assessment. They either think that the patriots are the #1 team at drafting or that the patriots aren't even among the best teams at drafting.

As I wrote before, you are setting up a strawman. I have not seen anyone aggressively insist that the Patriots are the best team at drafting. (I am sure that there must be someone somewhere. I just have not run across him.) I think I can assure you that your original assessment has been long forgotten. People are responding to particular posts, not to your first post.

The people who are "attacking" you believe that you are under estimating the Patriots draft success. It seems you have not done a good job of communicating. Actually, I think you are a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News