PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots claim (update: Cut) RB Trey Williams - (Flowers to IR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flowers with the phantom injury?

When you replace a Trey with another Trey, good things happen

Looks good. Plug him in.

Lewis was a 2nd round pick who was snakebitten by injuries while Williams was an undrafted rookie. I'd wait on the talent comparisons, though frankly I'm excited to see anyone get a chance who isn't James White.

the new dion lewis.
give brady a month with this guy...

A couple weeks ago I posted... the 2nd coming of Dion will not be walking through that door any time soon. Trey + Learns to Block = Dion

EDIT:

COMBINE / PRO DAY STATS:

Dion Lewis - 3 Cone Drill 6.9 secs
Trey Williams - 3 Cone Drill 6.84 secs

Dion Lewis - 40 Yard Dash 4.57 Sec
Trey Williams - 40 Yard Dash 4.45 Sec

Dion Lewis - 20 Yard Shuttle 4.18 Sec
Trey Williams - 20 Yard Shuttle 4.12 Sec

Last edited:
Blount, Bolden, White combined for 39 yards Sunday. :)

Ouch. I knew it was bad but seeing that actual total -- ouch.

Pretty simple on what we need from Trey :)(assuming he can catch):
- carry a couple of times on passing downs and/or non obvious passing downs. Doesn't need to rack up running yards, just a smidgen of success to put on film that the Patriots might hand the ball off to him. (IMHO this is a pretty low bar to hit)
- Catch the catchable passes (a very low bar to hit)
- When catching that short throw in some free space, make a tackler miss. (for a guy of T Williams skill set, I think this one he will do well. Lewis set a REALLY high bar here).

- When he goes out into a pattern he is able to run a good route to beat his one on one coverage when it is a LB......and it will be a LB often enough. (This is such a BFD for the third down back. What will Trey do is unknown. Bolden has had a couple moments of success on this -- just not nearly enough)
- Able to pick up a block on a blitz (the most worrisome and a high bar for any newby. He can't pick up a blitzer enough to sufficiently delay the blitzer? Trey's value just really went down)

Trey can step into this role and just do alright (doesn't need to be Lewis version 2, just do alright), and if Jules DA Gronk all come back very close to or at full strength (which seems likely)? Patriots O will be back to steamrolling opponents (like they would have done to the #1 D last Sunday night).

Preseason Game yippee.....he had 10-52 w a long on 38...so 9-14 otherwise....garbage
.....and reality rears its ugly head and bursts our balloon of over hyped optimism.

BTW- that was a great analysis of the pluses and minus's of Trey Williams. You can't help but being excited after watching some of the highlights with Washington and A&M. That guy's stuff needs to be must read material on the Draft board this season. However they aptly stated the issues the kid has had to this point. Will he be willing to be coached. Will he pass block? Will he catch the ball? Will he do all the other things a RB needs to do when he isn't carrying the ball?

That has yet to be seen, and given what's out there at this point in the season, he's already done his job, since he has gotten us excited and looking forward to seeing him play.

BOTTOM LINE - James White probably has just this next game to do something that will make him stand out. Otherwise he is nothing more than a dead man walking. A guy who isn't going to see a 3rd season with the Pats.

Williams' ability to get on the field for the Patriots will be continent on what it always is for change of pace running backs in this system, pass protection. He can be as dynamic as anyone with the ball, if he can't protect Brady, he'll be watching from the sidelines.

I hope he can, because he has skills similar to Lewis.

They say running back is the most replaceable position in the league. Losing Lewis and watching White, I'd lost sight of this fact. But watching the highlight videos posted was (maybe/hopefully) a good reminder of this. Let's see what kind of player TFB can turn him in to.

every time you log in here I realize I am old farty...sad now..:-(

I'm sure he's studying tape of Deion Lewis and Danny Woodhead already.

I would say we found Dion, but can he pass protect and catch?

Lewis was a 2nd round pick who was snakebitten by injuries while Williams was an undrafted rookie. I'd wait on the talent comparisons, though frankly I'm excited to see anyone get a chance who isn't James White.
I really don't know about his smarts, but my guess as to why he was not draft was because of Sumlin's schemes. Sherman recruited him only to be fired before the 2012 season. Then Manziel took over from Tannehill. He was on the field with Manziel and a RBBC used by Sumlin.
In 2011 Unversity of Texas was still a top football school in Texas so when A&M beat Mike Brown in recruiting Williams from Houston, it was to much fanfare. Texas A&M did not do him justice. Now he has arrive. He needs to show up first before trying to be a hero. This is a Texas kid who has not played in cold weather that much though.

Last edited:
Be optimistic. Life too short. Barry sanders was like that, a lot of small runs they he breaks one. Couldn't be worse than our rbs last game. I think they only gave us one 1st down running and Blount kept on ramming into a wall when he could have took a few outside.
he's too slow ro take anything outside...I'm over blount big time

I really don't know about his smarts, but my guess as to why he was not draft was because of Sumlin's schemes. Sherman recruited him only to be fired before the 2012 season. Then Manziel took over from Tannehill. He was on the field with Manziel and a RBBC used by Sumlin.
In 2011 Unversity of Texas was still a top football school in Texas so when A&M beat Mike Brown in recruiting Williams from Houston, it was to much funfair. Texas A&M did not do him justice. Now he has arrive. He needs to show up first before trying to be a hero. This is a Texas kid who has not played in cold weather that much though.

*fanfare

Sorry, I hate being that guy but I couldn't let it pass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back