PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots All-Access: Inside the War Room/interview with Nick Caserio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriot Access: Inside the War Room/interview with Nick Caserio

All very interesting,,

Was Flyod Reese in the war room??

Thinking that "college professor guy" was Ernie Adams.

Was going to make a thread about this my self, but you beat me to it! After I saw inside Dallas's war room I really wanted to see ours, its a little bit more hectic than Dallas with our trading lol, but still much calmer than I anticipated.

It does show how much thought and tension goes into each pick. You could cut the tension with a knife in that room and the look of anxiety on BB face telling.

We drafniks put in time and thought into our projection but in the end, we are not accountable.

All very interesting,,

Was Flyod Reese in the war room??

Thinking that "college professor guy" was Ernie Adams.

That was Ernie, and if Floyd was there he wasn't an integral part of the process. Caserio was clearly occupying the seat vacated by Pioli and Ernie is always part of the process in any BB endeavor. Ditto Bob and Jonathan Kraft are always in attendance. Often times complex or contentious draft day trades are finalized at the ownership level. Particularly if marquee players or future firsts are involved.

That was Ernie, and if Floyd was there he wasn't an integral part of the process. Caserio was clearly occupying the seat vacated by Pioli and Ernie is always part of the process in any BB endeavor. Ditto Bob and Jonathan Kraft are always in attendance. Often times complex or contentious draft day trades are finalized at the ownership level. Particularly if marquee players or future firsts are involved.

Now isn't that interesting?

And Ernie seems to be wearing a wedding ring. (Thought he wasn't supposed to do anything but watch football tape and learn the digits of pi ...)

If I could feel better about this draft I do after watching that. They got the players that they had targeted in the spots that they wanted them.

Some may say Cunningham was a reach based on the rankings at credible sites. But it's clear that the Patriots had him rated as a second pick and I think we can assume that other teams might have also. They would not have taken him at #53 if they thought he would be there for a later pick.

The thing with Cunningham is that he didn't get the opportunity to showcase himself at either the Senior Bowl or Combine. A lot of guys, such as Brandon Graham, really shoot up boards after these events. Of course, there is the possibility that Cunningham would've bombed either or both of these, but it appears reasonable that teams that had a more intimate knowledge of him (i.e., the patriots) would've had him rated higher.

Thanks for the link! That was good stuff. My wife even asked me to turn it up, which was a pleasant surprise...

All in all I felt good about this draft last weekend, and the more homework I do the better I feel about it. They are laying a solid foundation for the last 5-6 years of Brady/Belichick. What else can you ask for?

This 20 minute video which includes clips of the action in the war room leaves you wanting more. The draft board is clearly "clouded" over -- and the snippets of conversation are fairly cryptic. Still, better than nothing.

The Pats thought that the Bengals may draft Gresham, but being they also care about value they weren't going to trade up to get him. Instead they get their player (or next best player) at a much lower spot.

Let's say Gresham is available at 22. Would you rather have this:
22 Gresham
42 Javier Arenas (next best CB, but pick any available player)
or
27 McCourty
42 Gronk
90 Taylor Price

The Pats thought that the Bengals may draft Gresham, but being they also care about value they weren't going to trade up to get him. Instead they get their player (or next best player) at a much lower spot.

Let's say Gresham is available at 22. Would you rather have this:
22 Gresham
42 Javier Arenas (next best CB, but pick any available player)
or
27 McCourty
42 Gronk
90 Taylor Price
Which is why I don't think we wanted Option 1. I think Belichick's reaction was a TE going off the board which would make getting Gronk that much harder in the second.

While most of the video blurs out the draft board, you can see a good section of it at the :13 second mark. Here are some names on the wall. Interestingly enough none have ties to the Pats:

eric olsen C Notre Dame (6)
Ricardo Mathews DT Fresno state (last name spelled wrong, so this is suspect) (7)

Jacques McClendon OG Tennessee (6)

Chris Maragos S Wisconsin (UDFA)
Darian Stewart S So Carolina (UDFA)

Travis Goethel LB AZ St (6)
Vincent Rey LB Duke (UDFA)
Ryan Stamper LB Florida (UDFA)
Andy Mattingly LB Washington State (UDFA)
Lee Campbell LB Minn (UDFA)

The Pats thought that the Bengals may draft Gresham, but being they also care about value they weren't going to trade up to get him.

But where is everybody getting the idea that they were thinking of Gresham at 22 to begin with? They clearly had the deal signed and sealed with Denver and were itching to get it done.

At 3:37 in the video the runner says Cinci is "filling out a card," and you instantly hear Caserio on the phone (presumably to the league) saying "we're gonna trade" -- before pick 21 is even in. They didn't care who the Bengals selected, they were trading down.

Definitely. My impression is that by that time they'd focused on McCourty as "our guy". It was just a question of how far they thought that they could trade down and still get him. That makes me happy. I know that they had a clear preference for McC over other available corners (and players at other positions). That's why the war room is (comparatively) calm -- they're not doing player comparisons at that stage.

That's why the war room is (comparatively) calm -- they're not doing player comparisons at that stage.

It'd be interesting to know if the other war rooms were doing that. Were they still indecisive right up to the last minute?

Thanks. Great stuff.

So, the official term for what the Pats are doing is "retooling," as Caserio put it...

Anyone else remember a similar vid that was up a few years back with BB talking to Ozzie Newsome? It was when we traded our first to the Ravens, so '04 or whatever it was. At first all you can hear is BB saying, firmly, twice "Who are you taking?" Then he says something like "Ozzie, I've got a ton of calls coming in, I don't have time to screw around."

Later in the video BB is discussing (explaining) a potential deal with Bob Kraft.

I've looked for that video recently, but wasn't able to find it.

Now isn't that interesting?

And Ernie seems to be wearing a wedding ring. (Thought he wasn't supposed to do anything but watch football tape and learn the digits of pi ...)

LOL, you beat me to that, Mike!

Wasn't part of the legend that he was a lifelong bachelor who lived in his elderly mother's basement? That he rarely even went outside?

Hilarious that that story and whole legend might just be completely cooked up for the public. Speed Racer's older brother does it again!

Check out 7:40. Clock is ticking down on the trade with Oakland to move up 2 spots to pick Gronkowski. Not much time left. BB is on the phone, not speaking. Caserio says "We're waiting on old one." Almost seems like old one hangs up on BB, who doesn't appear to say anything into the phone. He just hangs up, kind of shrugs and gives them the go-ahead. Fascinating.

Amusing as this is, I'm pretty sure he says "Oakland", not "Old one". LOL

Anyone else remember a similar vid that was up a few years back with BB talking to Ozzie Newsome? It was when we traded our first to the Ravens, so '04 or whatever it was. At first all you can hear is BB saying, firmly, twice "Who are you taking?" Then he says something like "Ozzie, I've got a ton of calls coming in, I don't have time to screw around."

Later in the video BB is discussing (explaining) a potential deal with Bob Kraft.

I've looked for that video recently, but wasn't able to find it.

There's a similar exchange between BB and Ozzie in Patriot Reign.

Amusing as this is, I'm pretty sure he says "Oakland", not "Old one". LOL

I think you're right. I'll delete that post. My apologies to the old one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes