PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots acquire OT Vederian Lowe from Vikings

I had Strong as a cut. A guy who can't find the whole and runs straight ahead with no wiggle, that's not going to help.

I thought they simply traded a guy who was going to get cut for a guy who the Browns were going to cut.

And the guy we got in return will probably be cut anyway.

You think Wheatley gets cut? I don't... Bill didn't sound yesterday like someone who's gonna cut him today.

I think garbage is a little strong. I would say unlikely to play meaningful minutes due to the fact he has never played in an NFL game.
That describes any rookie coming into the league.

so anyone who isn’t already a veteran NFL player is unlikely to play meaningful minutes?

That describes any rookie coming into the league.

so anyone who isn’t already a veteran NFL player is unlikely to play meaningful minutes?
For a 26 year old in his 3rd rookie season…you might be right.

Every draft it seems like some players are called “a project.” I think Wheatley was definitely a project. The question for me is he a finished project or one that won’t ever work. I think the pats are going to find out. And if they think he won’t work, they have Lowe, too.

You think Wheatley gets cut? I don't... Bill didn't sound yesterday like someone who's gonna cut him today.
There's a huge number crunch at OL. Someone has to go.

I would try to keep Hines and Mafi as the interior backups.

I'm not sure what Russey's status is with injury.

But I only see Brown, Lowe and Sow as the tackles.

Here's my thing: if Sow isn't ready, I can see Onwenu moving to RT out of necessity, with either Hines or Mafi starting.

I don't think they keep more than 9 linemen, and with 3 tackles, 4 guards, 2 centers, that's 9.

There's a huge number crunch at OL. Someone has to go.

I would try to keep Hines and Mafi as the interior backups.
I would waive Hines, hope he clears waivers, then sign him to the PS... And have him re-learn the Center position too.

I'm not sure what Russey's status is with injury.
I would waive him with an Injury designation, then leave it up to him.

But I only see Brown, Lowe and Sow as the tackles.

Here's my thing: if Sow isn't ready, I can see Onwenu moving to RT out of necessity, with either Hines or Mafi starting.
If Onwenu had been healthy throughout camp, then I could see this happening... But I don't know if he's gonna play at all vs Philthy, no matter the position, or vs Miami before they hit the road... If he's gonna miss multiple games then he shouldn't have been activated from the PUP list.

I don't think they keep more than 9 linemen, and with 3 tackles, 4 guards, 2 centers, that's 9.

My 9 as of this typing are:

Brown - Strange - Andrews - Onwenu - Lowe
Wheatley - Sow - JAndrews - Mafi

Thanksdad released, and the Comedian, Stubby & Hines waived; with only Hines invited back should he clear.

McDermott, Reiffer & Russey waived/injured or IRed.

Thanksdad released, and the Comedian, Stubby & Hines waived; with only Hines invited back should he clear.

That's my 9 too, but I'm not feeling super confident about Jake at the backup C. Can anyone else do it if David Andrews goes down the first play?

I'm also for keeping Reiff on the 53 and going to IR with the ability to return, since he can play both T and G and I think we're going to need that after a few games and he'll be better than anyone we can pick up off the street at that point.

That's my 9 too, but I'm not feeling super confident about Jake at the backup C. Can anyone else do it if David Andrews goes down the first play?
We don’t know if Russey is healthy enough. He hasn’t practiced since the Texans game. Hines was a backup C in college, but I don’t think we’ve seen him there at all during camp. That leaves Ferentz as a potential practice squad elevation.

We don’t know if Russey is healthy enough. He hasn’t practiced since the Texans game. Hines was a backup C in college, but I don’t think we’ve seen him there at all during camp. That leaves Ferentz as a potential practice squad elevation.
Yeah, I think we're probably seeing Thanksdad Ferentz sticking around somehow because he's the only read backup C we have with experience.

Last edited:
What part of 'three years ago he was a TE who weighed 70 pounds less and had never played tackle' are you failing to grasp?

If Warren is cut, I wouldn't mind seeing him on the PS.

Vested Vets cannot be waived.

Yeah, I think we're probably seeing Thanksdad Ferentz sticking around somehow because he's the only read backup C we have with experience.
Russey has been here a full season, Ferentz looked abominable in preseason.

If he makes the active roster, we should march on Gillette with pitchforks and torches.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back