PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pasquarelli on Vinatieri

Status
Not open for further replies.
edzo44 said:
True, but if Peyton had handed off or tried a few short passes instead of the endzone bomb attempts he could have edged 5, 6, 7 or 8 yards closer and made it a much more makeable and comfortable kick for Vanderjerk. They didn't really help their kicker out. Would be interesting to know if those plays were from Dungy or from Peyton, or in particular, if they were Peyton audibles overriding plays Dungy had sent to the huddle. My opinion, they were poor calls from the kickers perspective and put more pressure on him.

According to the Indy media after the game, Dungy said that Vandy came to him and said "Ok, were close enough for the tie, go ahead and try to win it". That was when the question on the bomb to Wayne was brought up. I agree and thought it was a terrible call at the time. Another ten yards closer would have made a world of difference in that kick.

Mr.Kilowatt said:
According to the Indy media after the game, Dungy said that Vandy came to him and said "Ok, were close enough for the tie, go ahead and try to win it". That was when the question on the bomb to Wayne was brought up. I agree and thought it was a terrible call at the time. Another ten yards closer would have made a world of difference in that kick.

I can just see a kicker coming up to BB during a game and offering his opinion. BB would already have known the distance he would trust his kicker long before the final plays of a game.

sieglo said:
Scary thought -- maybe he'll teah Peyton how not to choke.

Nahhhh.....

Other way around - Peymeaton teaches AV what it means to choke!

IMO the only way he was going to leave was to go to a domed team, that is a playoff caliber team. He was 4 for 8 beyond 40 yards for the Pats last year. He wanted a dome badly, IMO. He will help Indy more than he would have the Pats this year. 34 year old kickers want to kick inside, if they can.

It pains me to say it, but AV is really coming off as a bandwagon jumper. He probably thinks the Pats are done winning Super Bowls and he wants to prolong his SB legacy with a team he thinks can actually win it, Indy. Are both Indy and AV insane? They weren't just one-FG from winning, they were a whole ballgame of good protection and smart play-calling away. Of course Indy and AV probably think he's the missing link- we'll see once he misses a 48-yarder in Foxboro in November :)

BTW, he actually did miss a clutch kick against Denver that could of made it a one-possession ballgame. Fitting for his last kick as a Patriot considering how he bolted for Indy.

Pat the Pats Fan said:
What is it about stupid comments from Colts kickers????? First Vanderjerk now what's his name again....

First Vanderjerk, now Vinajerk.

kurtinelson said:
First Vanderjerk, now Vinajerk.
WoW!

That's funny.

So Dallas vs Indy this coming year will be the Jerky Bowl, Vanderjerk vs Vinajerk.

Last edited:
He's a KICKER. Just a damn KICKER. He's not a QB. He's not even a position player. He's a freaking KICKER.

Never, in the entire history of the NFL has ANY city, EVER, obsessed over a kicker, or losing one to free agency, the way THIS city and THESE fans have obsessed over Adam Freaking Vinatieri.

It's so far beyond absurd it's indescribable.

Amnorix said:
He's a KICKER. Just a damn KICKER. He's not a QB. He's not even a position player. He's a freaking KICKER.

Never, in the entire history of the NFL has ANY city, EVER, obsessed over a kicker, or losing one to free agency, the way THIS city and THESE fans have obsessed over Adam Freaking Vinatieri.

You're right. It's not like he won a Super Bowl on a kick . . . oh, wait. . . .

Last edited:
Mr.Kilowatt said:
I have said before that I am a Colt fan and not here to cause trouble. I am just really surprized by the way AV is percieved on this board. I mean in this day and age, players rarlely stay with the same team their whole career. Did you guys treat Bledsoe this way. I don't seem to see this kind of talk about McGinnest. Is it the fact that he went to the Colts or just that he left. I mean I doubt Brady is going to play his whole career in New England. Are you guys going to bad mouth him then too.

Bledsoe leaving has absolutely nothing in common w/ AV leaving. Bledsoe lost the starting job and wanted to go somehwere where he could start obviously, he is a starting QB. So he left, nothing wrong with that and hes a class act. AV left for more money and didn't give the pats a chance to match.
what the hell do these 2 have in common? tell me.

Brady wouldn't pull that crap. If he did, and went to the colts, yes i would hate him.

ctpatsfan77 said:
You're right. It's not like he won a Super Bowl on a kick . . . oh, wait. . . .

Yes he did, and I commend him for that. I REALLY commend him for the Snow Bowl kick, which is one of the best ever made.

But that doesn't change the fact that he's just a kicker, that 99% of games aren't decided by the kicker, that he missed 2 highly "makeable" FGs in the first half of the Carolina SB game before he won it at the end in dramatic fashion, that he is 32, blah, blah, blah.

First post here, and I probably shouldn't make it, um, contrary, but ...

Why the hate for Vinatieri? He performed admirably in NE, did all you could ask for a kicker, and then left for more money and to go to a place where he might not miss an under-40 yd kick ever.

Now he's on a new team, so he speaks well of his new team. You expected different? "I'm sure we'll choke in the playoffs again. Oh, and my old team's poised for a run of 3 more Super Bowls. But whooey, you should see my new ride!" What else could he say?

Good luck Adam; you did well, got more fame than you deserved as a kicker, and I hope the pangs of regret aren't too bad when you sit and watch your old team win the Super Bowl with a rookie kicker ...

PlattsFan said:

Why the hate for Vinatieri? He performed admirably in NE, did all you could ask for a kicker, and then left for more money and to go to a place where he might not miss an under-40 yd kick ever.

Now he's on a new team, so he speaks well of his new team. You expected different? "I'm sure we'll choke in the playoffs again. Oh, and my old team's poised for a run of 3 more Super Bowls. But whooey, you should see my new ride!" What else could he say?

Good luck Adam; you did well, got more fame than you deserved as a kicker, and I hope the pangs of regret aren't too bad when you sit and watch your old team win the Super Bowl with a rookie kicker ...
What do you think about him not even giving the pats a chance to match?

Keegs said:
What do you think about him not even giving the pats a chance to match?

Not his responsibility. I'm all for the Patriots' management style, but they had a lot of time to sign him, and chose not to make the offer to seal the deal like the Colts did. That's fine. I agree with them on the decision, in fact, and think it shows why the Colts can't get over the hump (letting Edge go and signing Wayne to a huge contract was S-T-U-P-I-D). But we can't praise the Patriots for their no-nonsense, unsentimental fiscal management without accepting that the players also have the right to do what they feel is right without alerting the Patriots.

Amnorix said:

Go to Buffalo, mention the name Scott Norwood.

PlattsFan said:

The reason is obvious to me. He's touting a team as being the closet to winning the Super Bowl when that team is anything but. In other words, this is yet another example of a Colt acting like they're entitled to something, when they're not entitled to anything. This is the sort of statement we've been bagging on the Colts for making over the last half decade. "The better team didn't win." etc. etc. It's the kind of statement that Patriots players NEVER make.

PlattsFan said:
Not his responsibility. I'm all for the Patriots' management style, but they had a lot of time to sign him, and chose not to make the offer to seal the deal like the Colts did. That's fine. I agree with them on the decision, in fact, and think it shows why the Colts can't get over the hump (letting Edge go and signing Wayne to a huge contract was S-T-U-P-I-D). But we can't praise the Patriots for their no-nonsense, unsentimental fiscal management without accepting that the players also have the right to do what they feel is right without alerting the Patriots.

You have it wrong. Adam WANTED to leave.

upstater1 said:
You have it wrong. Adam WANTED to leave.

Did he? I don't know what's in his mind. Has he said he wanted to leave? He may have; I didn't follow the saga closely enough to know I didn't miss it.

Even if he did, why is that bad? The Patriots sign players because they want to or not, why should we not give players the same right?

Last edited by a moderator:
upstater1 said:
The reason is obvious to me. He's touting a team as being the closet to winning the Super Bowl when that team is anything but. In other words, this is yet another example of a Colt acting like they're entitled to something, when they're not entitled to anything. This is the sort of statement we've been bagging on the Colts for making over the last half decade. "The better team didn't win." etc. etc. It's the kind of statement that Patriots players NEVER make.

But don't players say something similar all the time when they sign with the Pats ... "I really wanted to go to a place where I felt I had a good shot at a ring, and this organization ..."

Of course, in the Patriots' place, such statements are warranted, while in the Colts' ... but it's not that outrageous a statement. The Colts have been closer than anyone who hasn't won one recently. Personally, I think they took a big step back this winter and I'll be surprised if they win a playoff game this year, but Adam's entitled to his opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back