PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Parcells regrets leaving

I can never forgive them for picking Chris Canty. I was at Smithfield and standing next to him I (Welker sized) dwarfed this #1 pick with the skinny calves and big head. Standing next to 5'11" super buffed Ty Law the dwarf looked ridiculous.

Canty's on-field dancing was even more ridiculous. I believe it was a preseason game his rookie year -- he returned a kickoff to midfield, then popped up and started dancing like he was on Soul Train. It was embarrassing. I remember sitting there in the stands thinking, "WTF?" He could not cover anyone to save his life, always free-lancing. What a useless dope.

I will never forgive him one iota for spending what apparently was a full week before the 96 SB playing footsie with the Jest.

Fixed that for you.

The pre-SB Jets dance because he wanted to buy the groceries makes anything Parcells says meaningless. We're not talking about chatting up a college about a job. We're talking serious discussions with a divisional opponent.

Bill Parcells says he regrets leaving New England Patriots - ESPN Boston

regardless, BP can spin it like 'we both made mistakes and would do it differently, ' and RK is a genteel enough guy that he will play along and be gracious and forgiving......

BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY; YOU WERE THE COACH (read EMPLOYEE) He was the guy who put down more money than I will see in my lifetime ON CREDIT to own the franchise.

You were the guy who SAT Drew B's GO-TO guy (TB) and didnt even put him on the active 45, who failed to put a TE on the right side of the OL, and had them go ahead and KICK to the fastest returner in the league.....IN OTHER WORDS .... you were an intentionally treasonous biiiiiitch with HURT FEELINGS who didnt give it his all.

Benedict Arnold was one of America's most brilliant tactician-generals, until.........well, you know West Point and all.

I hope you NEVER EVER make it into the Pats HoF. But that's just me, and otherwise..... have a nice life.

Bravo, Gumby.

Bill Parcells put himself ahead of his players, assistant coaches, ownership and the fans by acting like a petulant 8th grader during the two weeks before the 1996 Super Bowl.

Parcells (and maybe Max Lane) is the main reason the Patriots got beat by Bret Favre and Reggie White in that Super Bowl. If he hadn't pulled that whole "look at me" crap, and done his damn job, the 96 team would have been the first Patriots team to win a Super Bowl.

It didn't help that Max Lane did a splendid imitation of an outmatched Bullfighter every time Reggie White cruised untouched into the backfield to blow up a play or sack Drew Bledsoe. "Ole!"

Parcells didn't do jack squat after he split from Belichick.

Check out the coaching staff on the 1996 Patriots - some familiar names here:

Head Coach – Bill Parcells

Offensive Coordinator – Ray Perkins
Quarterbacks – Chris Palmer
Running Backs – Maurice Carthon
Wide Receivers – Charlie Weis
Tight Ends – Mike Pope
Offensive Line – Fred Hoaglin

Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers – Al Groh
Defensive Line – Romeo Crennel
Assistant Head Coach/Secondary – Bill Belichick
Defensive Assistant/Linebackers – Dante Scarnecchia

Elevating Bobby Grier to head of personnel wasn't a mistake? Obviously doesn't excuse Parcell's actions, but Kraft made mistakes.

Bobby Grier did a fine job from '93 - '99 as a scout and up to being director of player personnel. Other than 1997, every draft produced good to iconic Patriots including several Super Bowl stalwarts including:

Drew Bledsoe, Chris Slade, Willie McGinest, Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, the infamous Terry Glenn, Tedy Bruschi, Robert Edwards, Tebucky Jones, Kevin Faulk, and Damien Woody.

Robert Edwards had star running back written all over him. That injury on the beach at pro-bowl weekend was an extraordinary setback. I also liked the Katzenmoyer selection at the time. It was too bad the neck injury was so severe as a rookie. No way you can predict either of those injuries. Canty and Chung were big misses.

There was the best QB never to get a shot: Michael Bishop.

Grier had a big role in putting the '96 Super Bowl team together dating back to his time as a scout in '93, and the guys above all made difference in the 2000s.

What's to complain about? The Pats have been solid to superior since the mid-1990s.

Dear Tuna,

Trust us, we're over it.

Sorry that decision didn't work out for you.

One of my favorite ESPN Sports Center promos (this was back when I still watched that ... network) came after SB36. AN ESPN guy — maybe Dan Patrick? — comes across Parcells in the hallway. "Kind of weird, huh?" he says to Parcells. "What do you mean?" Tuna says. "You know, the Patriots. You're there all those years and they don't win the Super Bowl then you leave and they win the Super Bowl. Weird." Parcells puts on an angry face, reaches out and unclasps the guy's briefcase, papers fly, Parcells storms off. Pretty funny.

It's a shame he left the way he did. But it worked out well. Just think: Parcells stays, and Tom Brady's just another insurance salesman in California, using tales of his glory days at Michigan to close the deal.

This story just annoys me for some reason.
So Belichick and Brady win 3 rings and than the Tuna starts thinking "Hey, maybe I could of won three rings," and he regrets leaving.

Here's some more late breaking news:
I regret not playing last weeks million dollar lotto numbers.
Sympathy please?

Is this a joke from Parcells? He can rot if hell as far as I'm concerned. How many Super Bowls did he win after he and BB split? The answer is zero! How many did BB win after they split? The answer is 3.

I hate the guy and think he has a dark, treacherous heart.

There are actual phone records of repeated phone calls from Parcells hotel room where the Pats were staying at in NO, the week before the Super Bowl, to the New York Jets practice facility on Long Island. The low down SOB was negotiating his new deal with the Jets in the days leading up to the Super Bowl. I find this to be the most dishonorable thing I have ever seen in pro sports (and there have been a lot of sleazy moments over the years in pro sports)

Then he goes and steals away the best running back we've ever had.

I'm sorry but anyone who is a Pats fan, should hate Parcells guts. He's a self centered, unethical douche bag. END OF STORY!!!

I saw an interview where Kraft himself alluded to making mistakes early in his ownership and dealing with BP- stated he would do some things differently given what he knows today. In hindsight that is a great thing given that whatever lessons Kraft was referring to helped make him the #1 owner in the NFL today.

IMO, RK is too much the gentleman to ever go into detail, but I believe one of the THINGS HE WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY.....

is not leave the Fox in charge of the henhouse

He let BP influence/run the Cumar contract negotiations and that ensured that it would leave an opening for the Jesters (read BP in his next nfl life) to make a poison pill offer.

Just cause he said he would do things differently; that does NOT MEAN per se the things he would do differently would have been FAVORABLE TO BP.

Another might be FIRE THE DAMN COACH and promote the Asst the week before the SB when it BECAME OBVIOUS TO ALL he was double-dealing.

Or in the best case; maybe he thinks if he laid down the law early w/ BP instead of giving him so much rope; THEN the rest wouldnt' have happened and life would have been grand with the two of them.

Parcells can join Fairbanks as a guy that was busy readying his exit when he should have been focused on his teams playoff situation/hopes.

Bobby Grier did a fine job from '93 - '99 as a scout and up to being director of player personnel. Other than 1997, every draft produced good to iconic Patriots including several Super Bowl stalwarts including:

Drew Bledsoe, Chris Slade, Willie McGinest, Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, the infamous Terry Glenn, Tedy Bruschi, Robert Edwards, Tebucky Jones, Kevin Faulk, and Damien Woody.

Robert Edwards had star running back written all over him. That injury on the beach at pro-bowl weekend was an extraordinary setback. I also liked the Katzenmoyer selection at the time. It was too bad the neck injury was so severe as a rookie. No way you can predict either of those injuries. Canty and Chung were big misses.

There was the best QB never to get a shot: Michael Bishop.

Grier had a big role in putting the '96 Super Bowl team together dating back to his time as a scout in '93, and the guys above all made difference in the 2000s.

What's to complain about? The Pats have been solid to superior since the mid-1990s.

Ha ha. Revisionist history is wonderful, isn't it? I bet Parcells was going to pick Rick Mirer until Grier vetoed it.

Parcells is/was a great coach but he was also a huge aszhole ...

Nothing he says now means crap.

what he does regret is that if he was not such an aszhole he might have added a few rings to his fingers if he had stayed here with the great Robert Kraft.

Is this a joke from Parcells? He can rot if hell as far as I'm concerned. How many Super Bowls did he win after he and BB split? The answer is zero! How many did BB win after they split? The answer is 3.

I hate the guy and think he has a dark, treacherous heart.

There are actual phone records of repeated phone calls from Parcells hotel room where the Pats were staying at in NO, the week before the Super Bowl, to the New York Jets practice facility on Long Island. The low down SOB was negotiating his new deal with the Jets in the days leading up to the Super Bowl. I find this to be the most dishonorable thing I have ever seen in pro sports (and there have been a lot of sleazy moments over the years in pro sports)

Then he goes and steals away the best running back we've ever had.

I'm sorry but anyone who is a Pats fan, should hate Parcells guts. He's a self centered, unethical douche bag. END OF STORY!!!

LOL, tell us how you really feel!

I agree with your statements, although I probably wouldn't express them so strongly. What Parcells probably regrets is not sticking around for the glory years that followed. He thought he was leaving us high and dry and we'd never make it out of the hole. Instead he ended up damaging his own reputation by never doing anything without BB or the original LT.

I do thank Parcells for being part of the equation that put the Pats back on the NFL map, but I also remember the Will McDonough column that came out either right before or right after the SB detailing how Parcells was jumping ship, and how I felt like I had been personally sucker-punched. What goes around comes around, Duane Charles. The Pats had the last laugh (many of them, actually).

What he says, "I regret leaving."

What he means, "I regret Bill won so many Super Bowls with the players I drafted. That should be me with three Super Bowls in four years and a decade of contending every year."

People might speculate on who Parecells liked, but no one knows for sure who he'd draft (since no one knows how the draft would unfold).

I think the reason he lost his mind is he was determined to trade the 7th overall knowing he could get a defensive player plus a receiver as good or better than Glenn.

That 96 draft was famously rich in receivers and the Patriots had 13 picks. How about Joe Horn in the 5th or Terrell Owens in the third?

If they dropped to 18, they also had their choice of Eric Moulds, Marvin Harrison, Eddie Kennison, Armani Toomer, Bobby Engram or Muhsin Muhammad. He could have had 2 or 3 all pro receivers plus a defensive player in that draft.

That's why he blew his top. Hate him all you want, he was right. Sure, he was an *******, but the amiable incompetent blew what could have been a super draft on offense and defense.

Belichick sure would have come out better trading down into that pool of WR value and picking up, or trading his 13 picks to rule that talent pool.

Parcells can join Fairbanks as a guy that was busy readying his exit when he should have been focused on his teams playoff situation/hopes.

I'm not sure, but I think you might be tarring Fairbanks by including him with Parcells.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back