PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers cut three, including running back Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Davis as a backup to Dillon???

Steve Davis was cut by the Ppanthers in a cap move. He was making 2 million plus.

He's a oldie but goodie big back. I could see him in a rotation with Dillon and extending both careers...

Probably will sign much cheaper as a LOT of vets are going to find there are not many high price openings available...

With dillon and davis for 2006 that gets the ppats to the 2007 "offensive draft" where there are a lot of big back coming out.

AzPatsFan said:
Steve Davis was cut by the Ppanthers in a cap move. He was making 2 million plus.

He's a oldie but goodie big back. I could see him in a rotation with Dillon and extending both careers...

Probably will sign much cheaper as a LOT of vets are going to find there are not many high price openings available...

What a SPLENDID idea!

Nice pipe dream, but who does he replace on the roster to create the depth at RB? We had trouble at RB last year, but we also had trouble at CB, TE, OT, OC, S, and ILB. I just don't see having another aging RB on the roster unless he brings some strong STs skills.

I wouldn't mind him in a Patriots uniform but only if Dillon is gone which is unlikely. I don't want to have to rely on two backs at the end of their career to carry this team. We still need a young guy that will at the very least start 2 years down the road if not immediately.

What about Brentson Buckner as a Pat? I remember BB/Pioli courting Buckner a few years back, before he finally chose Carolina over us. There were rumblings during the season that BB & Crew were very disappointed with Wilfork's play. Carolina runs a 4-3, I think, however Buckner may be suitable for NT (he's 6-2, 310) or we could run a 4-3 with Buckner and Wilfork as DT's.

Seymour93 said:
What about Brentson Buckner as a Pat? I remember BB/Pioli courting Buckner a few years back, before he finally chose Carolina over us. There were rumblings during the season that BB & Crew were very disappointed with Wilfork's play. Carolina runs a 4-3, I think, however Buckner may be suitable for NT (he's 6-2, 310) or we could run a 4-3 with Buckner and Wilfork as DT's.

i agree, id much rather have buckner than st davis
no thanks on davis

when i saw buckner was cut, my mouth dropped
not only is he a great player, hes also a great guy and a great leader
but, hes pretty old either 34 or 35

still, if he could be had at a reasonable price id love him in a pats uni

I liked Stephen Davis when he was with the Redskins...thought he would be a great back. However, he just never lived up to his potential due to way too many injuries.

At one time I thought I would like to see him on NE but not now.

Seymour93 said:

Include me in -- if we're day-dreaming. I like Buckner too. He was a guest on British TV during coverage of SBXXXIX and it's clear that he understands and appreciates BB and the Pats.

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
I wouldn't mind him in a Patriots uniform but only if Dillon is gone which is unlikely. I don't want to have to rely on two backs at the end of their career to carry this team. We still need a young guy that will at the very least start 2 years down the road if not immediately.

The Pats only have 3 RBs - Dillon, Faulk, Pass. Most teams carry at least four. If you don't, you are forced to call up the likes of Heath Evans, Mike Cloud, or Amos Zerogain mid-season.

My guess is BB will avoid this scenario and either draft or sign a legit backup to Dillon.

I wouldn't mind Davis or Mike Anderson, either of whom can legitmately start for a 2-3 week stretch.

Last edited:
Mike the Brit said:
Include me in -- if we're day-dreaming. I like Buckner too. He was a guest on British TV during coverage of SBXXXIX and it's clear that he understands and appreciates BB and the Pats.
Buckner as a back-up to Vince at vet minimum would be okay, I'd still prefer to develop Wright or a draftee for the role.

tombonneau said:
The Pats only have 3 RBs - Dillon, Faulk, Pass. Most teams carry at least four. If you don't, you are forced to call up the likes of Heath Evans, Mike Cloud, or Amos Zerogain mid-season.

My guess is BB will avoid this scenario and either draft or sign a legit backup to Dillon.

I wouldn't mind Davis or Mike Anderson, either of whom can legitmately start for a 2-3 week stretch.
It still goes back to where you want the depth, BB keeps a feature back, a third down back, and a utility back. He tried to keep a back on the Practice Squad, but the Colts got in RB trouble before we did and swiped him. Davis may be an aging feature back who has some mileage we could use, but he has no specific STs value that I know of, and that is the standard for a reserve. Anderson is probably getting a good look from Green Bay and Arizona, not to mention SF, Seattle, and Indy. The first three can easily outbid us and can promise a primary role that we can't.

I'd rather keep an extra O-lineman and stick with the 3 backs. Even if we lose Neal to FA, I think one good OT/OG and a decent OC/OG in the draft would be enough. I can envision Gorin at RG and Kaczur or Light at RT. I'm not worried about Light's rehab, he'll be fine. Koppen does concern me, he took a nasty hit to that shoulder and it will take some time to build the strength back up. Fortunately we have Hochstein who is a darned good utiltiy lineman. Dante has had a chance to school his rookies for a year, look how well Practice Squad players like Ashworth, Gorin, and Hochstein have done, just imagine what first day draft picks will turn into under Dante.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News