PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our recent draft picks vs. the Ravens' recent draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Our recent draft picks vs the Raven's recent draft picks

No one called him a bust. He is a solid player.

But for a lot of people with rose-colored glasses, they see this guy as an elite talent, which he isn't. Not yet anyways.

That's it. That's all we're saying. If he stays as is he's a solid role player but certainly not a foundation block.

id be hard pressed to find a more important player to this defense (aside from wilfork) than mayo. He led the team in tackles, again, with almost 20+ more than the next player (meriweather). He has one other season to compare to this one. Shadow of his former self? check the stats and consider he was probably forced to come back early after the knee injury.

Stats here mean nothing. Where did those tackles come? Five yards down field? How many big plays did he have this year? Any? He's solid, but if 3rd and 2 he gets the tackle 3 yards down field. It may not be all his fault, he may be asked to read they play more than react to it.

The problem today was not with the defense - except for the first play of the game. After that, the offense gave the ball right back to the Ravens on our own 17 and our own 25 on consecutive series, and the Ravens offense took advantage. And we were down 3 scores and the tone of the game was set.

Just watching Ray Lewis give his interview. Say what you will and he's not what he was, but he's true leader and a guy that makes a true impact in the game

The problem today was not with the defense - except for the first play of the game. After that, the offense gave the ball right back to the Ravens on our own 17 and our own 25 on consecutive series, and the Ravens offense took advantage. And we were down 3 scores and the tone of the game was set.

Offense shoulders a lot of the blame. However, an elite defense gives up 2 FGs instead of 2 TDs.

Last edited:

Look at a replay of the first play of the game where Rice takes it 83 yards. Mayo gets completely held up and can;t get off his block. Rice goes right by him. He's good, maybe above average, but no more than that.

He is a very good blocker .

The problem in that play is that Meriweather is slower than Rice and had fear of hitting a player . He is the Maroney of the d# . We should send them to the Pats filial in the Arena Football league or Flag Footbal league

Stats here mean nothing. Where did those tackles come? Five yards down field? How many big plays did he have this year? Any? He's solid, but if 3rd and 2 he gets the tackle 3 yards down field. It may not be all his fault, he may be asked to read they play more than react to it.

Like I said, Wilfork is the defense's most important player, and I dont need stats to back up my opinion on that.

Gulp, will our 2011 top 5 Raiders pick be used on a QB?

Who's coming out in 2011? Tom will be 34 going on 35...and the Pats hopefully won't be picking that high again....

I think we're at the point now where we need to start thinking about football after Tom Brady.

He is a very good blocker .

The problem in that play is that Meriweather is slower than Rice and had fear of hitting a player . He is the Maroney of the d# . We should send them to the Pats filial in the Arena Football league or Flag Footbal league

I'm not going to defend Merriweather at all, but a stud middle linebacker doesn't get tied up for that long. A stud linebacker fills the hole quicker or gets off that block. I don;t care how good of a blocker the guy for the Ravens is. Does Ray Lewis get blocked like that? No way.

I was referring to the defense being a shadow of its former self.

Anyway, Mayo is supposed to lead the team in tackles as a MLB in this defense. The entire defense is designed to lock up blockers and flow the ball carrier to him. There's a major problem if he doesn't have high tackles. That stat doesn't mean anything if all his tackles are 4-5 yards down the field. Where are the tackles for loss, the forced/recovered fumbles, a pick now and then, maybe a sack. Is this too much to ask from a top 10 pick who is described as a beast on this board daily.

If he's hurt than that's one thing but this was a sophomore slump otherwise and does not bode well.

Ahh.. yes.. We lost a game and the crowd of "Know- More-Than-Belichick" comes out. First with the bad drafts garbage and then with Mayo not being a stud. Who cares if the guy has been playing a NEW POSITION (ILB and MLB are DIFFERENT) again and who cares that the Ravens felt enough of him to stick a GUARD and not a FB or TE on him most of the time.

As for all your blather about stats, please let everyone know when you actually learn about how this defense plays. Mayo doesn't get sacks because the defense, in the 4-3, doesn't bring the MLB on the pass rush. In the 4-3, Mayo isn't run blitzing either, so its kind of hard for him to get tackles for loss as well.. Mayo's job is to control the middle of the field. To make that stop if the D-line can't.

Mayo is still young and he's learning the 2 gap system. Not to mention the fact that he's over-coming an MCL injury from earlier. The expectations of the people on this board are ludicrous. Especially when you show how clueless you are to the defensive scheme and show you don't understand how the Pats are running their defense.

Is it just me, or do draft "experts'" draft boards predict better long term players than the patriots do? I know BB likes to draft to the Pats style of play, but maybe we just need to pay more attention to the obvious elite talent that is available when we pick. There are of course exceptions like Vollmer, but that is in the late second round.

A lot of you probably disagree with me.

Is it just me, or do draft "experts'" draft boards predict better long term players than the patriots do? I know BB likes to draft to the Pats style of play, but maybe we just need to pay more attention to the obvious elite talent that is available when we pick. There are of course exceptions like Vollmer, but that is in the late second round.

That's what scares me. We on boards like this and KFFL and fall in love with these LB prospects the last few years, we watch Bill pass on them and weep.

I don't completely disagree with that. I lot of BB's picks have been real head scratchers - Bethel Johnson? Really? On the other hand Chad Jackson and LoMo were drafted where the experts expected but neither has turned out to be the stud they were expected to be. Drafting is an inexact science. Someone needs to do an in-depth analysis of our drafting over the past 6 or 7 years vs., say, the Chargers, Colts or Ravens. Then we'll have something solid to talk about. I will add this though - I can't think of a SINGLE impact players the Pats have drafted over the past few years, with the possible exception of Vince Wilfork. I will also give credit for the trades of draft picks that brought us Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Besides that, not much. And don't say "Brandon Meriweather is a Pro Bowler" - ha ha ha ha ha.

Last edited:

Ahh.. yes.. We lost a game and the crowd of "Know- More-Than-Belichick" comes out. First with the bad drafts garbage and then with Mayo not being a stud. Who cares if the guy has been playing a NEW POSITION (ILB and MLB are DIFFERENT) again and who cares that the Ravens felt enough of him to stick a GUARD and not a FB or TE on him most of the time.

As for all your blather about stats, please let everyone know when you actually learn about how this defense plays. Mayo doesn't get sacks because the defense, in the 4-3, doesn't bring the MLB on the pass rush. In the 4-3, Mayo isn't run blitzing either, so its kind of hard for him to get tackles for loss as well.. Mayo's job is to control the middle of the field. To make that stop if the D-line can't.

Mayo is still young and he's learning the 2 gap system. Not to mention the fact that he's over-coming an MCL injury from earlier. The expectations of the people on this board are ludicrous. Especially when you show how clueless you are to the defensive scheme and show you don't understand how the Pats are running their defense.

Ahh...yes... the knee-jerk defense of BB. Fine throw the stats out the window and with your superior football IQ explain how Mayo has not regressed this season because that is the point.

He was less experienced last season and was Rookie DPOY, we came to expect a level of play equal to or better than that in his 2nd year and it unequivocally did not. A beast doesn't get shut down like he did today, irregardless of scheme. A player finds a way to makes plays, especially in big games.

Bad-draft "garbage", are you kidding me. The cupboard is empty. The young talent on this team isn't stepping up and if you are blind to that then this discussion will go on and on because you can't talk your way out of the poor drafting by BB over the past several years which has left a void where elder stalwarts once were.

Agreed. I can always depend on the Chicken Little syndrome surfacing whenever things don't fall into place for the Pats. Unless they're perfect, something is terribly wrong. When the "experts" learn about the cycle a well-managed team must go through in its quest to remain competitive in a capped league, they might lighten up a bit. If the Pats not being 19-0 prevents you from enjoying the games, then you're following the wrong sport.

There have been obvious guys that we should have picked up but decided to go somewhere else. Spencer and Beason in 07, Matthews and Oher this past year comes to mind right away.

Agreed. I can always depend on the Chicken Little syndrome surfacing whenever things don't fall into place for the Pats. Unless they're perfect, something is terribly wrong. When the "experts" learn about the cycle a well-managed team must go through in its quest to remain competitive in a capped league, they might lighten up a bit. If the Pats not being 19-0 prevents you from enjoying the games, then you're following the wrong sport.

So you enjoyed the game today?

Ahh...yes... the knee-jerk defense of BB. Fine throw the stats out the window and with your superior football IQ explain how Mayo has not regressed this season because that is the point.

OK, Mayo came back too early from spraining his MCL. Good enough reason for a regression?

Mayo took bad angles all day. Needs do better at diagnosing the plays before the snap. I don't blame him for having trouble getting off his blocks when I look at the Ravens offensive line. The defensive line needs to hold the line so their linebackers can make plays, but the Pats lost that battle. Which leads me to dreams of a guy like Ndamokung Suh or Terrance Cody!

So you enjoyed the game today?

Well seeing as his name is ClevTrev and he might be from Cleveland, I can see why he might enjoy the game he just saw today. LOL. Can I buy some tickets to this bizarro land you BB nuthuggers live in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft