PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Biggest Weaknesses Going Into The Draft Are The Same As Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I get this thread. Are you saying that getting a LG, CB and WR in the draft would have then made those positions strong?

How do we know whoever BB puts at LG doesn't do a solid job.

What if the CB play is solid because of the front 7?

What if Dobson does a decent job while LaFell is out and Harper contributes some too?

Without question at CB and WR, unsure about LG, and they did address DL, so that's still a question mark until we see if they've addressed it successfully in terms of game play. RB is a bit curious for week one, as well, and S2 is still a major question mark.

Last edited:
I don't see how it's expected to be any different. Most draft picks never turn into players that are going to fix weaknesses in starting lineups, and only a very small number do it immediately. If you're relying on draft picks to fix all your top weaknesses, then you're going to be disappointed every year. I've lost the exact quote, but at some point Belichick said something about how drafting for need is a great way to ensure that you continue to have those same needs, because you're more likely to miss on a pick if you're picking him because of his position and not based on overall value.

...because the players that the team acquired to fill those gaps have yet to have a chance to develop and prove themselves?

What is the premise of your argument? Is it that the team did not draft well at the positions you mention or that the team did not draft and fortify the positions before, during and after the draft?

What is wrong with Shaq Mason? Did you expect him to be a starter overnight?

Did you expect the Pats to draft a CB in the first 2 or 3 rounds?

Did you expect the team to draft a WR?

Just to mention, they did have other weaknesses going into the draft.

Are you taking "they all suck" position?

I'd agree they are the biggest unknowns ... well except WR....I think RB is a bigger unknown...at least this week

I'd say LG is the least proven, but they have some physical bodies to throw at it

talk to me in october.......we can talk weakness then

Perhaps finding a receiver "who will take the top off of a defense" or "stretch the field" would have proven beneficial to this prolific defense.. ;);)

Evaluating drafts before the first game of the season is folly...

Generally unless you pick in the top half of the first round or someone falls to you then you don't get a good instant starter.

The way i see it need did feature into the draft.

Their biggest needs going in were DT, CB(1 or 2), LG, RG, SS.

These were all spots where the starting spot was uncertain going into the year. They drafted 5/5 of those spots and got depth along the way. So they did draft for need but you are not going to get much instant impact out of the draft.

Maybe Brown and Jackson can be instant solid starters week 1 and build off it. If true not bad. 2 guys who start for you as rookies week 1 is pretty good.

Well, the only thing that matters is we drafted a DT in round 1. That means Superbowl Champs.

Seymour - Champs
Warren - Champs
Wilfork - Champs
Easley - Champs
Brown (+deflategate) - Just give it to us now.

I disagree. I like what the Patriots have at WR, with LaFell back the group is solid...crowded even.

At guard, the Patriots seem to be okay...

I really like Brown at the CB position.

C is a weakness at the moment. That's new.

I don't agree that WR was a major weakness. If it's one of the biggest, it's by default.

Passing-down RB however was a weakness, and remains one until somebody proves himself consistently in the role.

As noted above, the position drafted in the first round is a lot less of a need than it was going into the draft. We also seem to have gotten a Day 1 starting OG in the draft.

For the sake of argument, we'll consider "not knowing who is playing or how well they'll do" as being a weakness, as opposed to just a question mark. That said, while I agree on CB, I think the situations at LG and WR are more related to injuries than they are personnel decisions. If LaFell is not on PUP we have everyone from last year (three of whom scored TD's in the Super Bowl) plus Dobson and Harper for potential new blood. If Stork is not injured, Wendell is probably playing LG. He's not all-pro or anything, but he's solid, experienced, and a team captain. I wouldn't call him a weakness per se.

I think our OL is stronger now than it was a year ago, when Devey and Kline were fighting for the starting role at LG. Somehow the team survived that and won a Superbowl. I am a little concerned that Stork is out since he was such a stabilizing factor last year. But the two rookie guards are cause for optimism, if we kick Wendell in to Center. Koppen was a 4th round pick himself, and if these guys are his caliber on the field, I think we'll be more than just fine.

Corner feels thin, coming off a season with Revis and Browner at the position. With that kind of a benchmark, you cant help but have a hollow feeling. But I think we just don't know. Butler did a great job against Kearse in the SB, with the one fluke exception; and if he plays like that all season, he will make the pro-bowl. In terms of the other corners, it's impossible to say-- we'll just have to see. The terrific depth that we have at S has got to suggest some schematic opportunities that maybe the coaching staff will leverage, if it can take some pressure off the corners. If our corners struggle, I have no doubt that we will see McCourty back at corner, opposite Butler.

Wideout is bit of a worry after the top two guys, but the addition of Chandler is an obvious upgrade at TE and makes you wonder if we really need more than two. I actually think our RB unit may have improved over last year's group, despite losing Vereen, Ridley and Gray. Again we'll just have to see, but I think the offense could be really dangerous.

A
I think our OL is stronger now than it was a year ago, when Devey and Kline were fighting for the starting role at LG. Somehow the team survived that and won a Superbowl. I am a little concerned that Stork is out since he was such a stabilizing factor last year. But the two rookie guards are cause for optimism, if we kick Wendell in to Center. Koppen was a 4th round pick himself, and if these guys are his caliber on the field, I think we'll be more than just fine.

Corner feels thin, coming off a season with Revis and Browner at the position. With that kind of a benchmark, you cant help but have a hollow feeling. But I think we just don't know. Butler did a great job against Kearse in the SB, with the one fluke exception; and if he plays like that all season, he will make the pro-bowl. In terms of the other corners, it's impossible to say-- we'll just have to see. The terrific depth that we have at S has got to suggest some schematic opportunities that maybe the coaching staff will leverage, if it can take some pressure off the corners. If our corners struggle, I have no doubt that we will see McCourty back at corner, opposite Butler.

Wideout is bit of a worry after the top two guys, but the addition of Chandler is an obvious upgrade at TE and makes you wonder if we really need more than two. I actually think our RB unit may have improved over last year's group, despite losing Vereen, Ridley and Gray. Again we'll just have to see, but I think the offense could be really dangerous.
Agree with most of the above, but: Koppen was actually a fifth rounder, making him one of the most valuable picks by BB ever.

Well, the only thing that matters is we drafted a DT in round 1. That means Superbowl Champs.

Seymour - Champs
Warren - Champs
Wilfork - Champs
Easley - Champs
Brown (+deflategate) - Just give it to us now.

This is powerful magic right here. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference