PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson says Jets' tampering would be worse than Spygate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Yahoo Sport's Charles Robinson says Jets' tampering would be worse than Spyga

Jeez, so much hostility in here. I don’t think they’ll hit them for this and I’ll tell you why. The Jets are on the upswing. Roger Goodell is in essence a business man. He’s the CEO of the NFL. He knows where the money comes from. The top 5 teams in the NFL based on value, Cowboys, Redskins, Patriots, Giants and Jets. The Cowboys are always going to be a huge draw, even in slower years thanks to their history and Texas fan base. The Pats are in a similar boat, with recent history and winning ways. The Giants are a product of some history and a huge market. The Redskins and Jets are both products of great markets. Especially considering their lack of winning ways recently. The NFL, and Goodell, WANT teams like the Jets and Redskins to succeed. He knows that with their success will come $$$. The Jets, and it pains me to say it, haven’t done **** in 40 years. They SHARE a 34 year old stadium. Their value is based almost solely on the NY market. Do you really think Roger Goodell wants to jeopardize that over a tampering charge? I’m sure he’ll do something to let teams know that it will not be tolerated, but I just can’t see him wanting to throw the book at them. That’s my objective opinion. If they did screw SF out of their 1st Rounder, then they SHOULD be kicked in the nuts. But will it happen, I don’t think so.

But, being the good sports we are, we’ll make them a deal. We’ll give them, not just a 1st round pick, but the 6th pick in the draft. We’ll give them Vernon Gholston straight up. See, we’re reasonable.

Re: OT: Yahoo Sport's Charles Robinson says Jets' tampering would be worse than Spyga

The Pats wouldn't draft an idiot like Crabtree in the first place, so it's kind of a moot point. Like with Spygate, this is something that happens every day in the NFL: it's a fact of life, and it's not going to change.
I half-agree and half-disagree. Tampering certainly does happen all the time in the NFL, but this specific type of tampering doesn't. Like I mentioned in another post, this isn't the typical tampering where a team negotiates with an upcoming free agent a week or two before free agency begins. IMHO, these allegations are quite a bit more serious.

Jeez, so much hostility in here. I don’t think they’ll hit them for this and I’ll tell you why. The Jets are on the upswing. Roger Goodell is in essence a business man. He’s the CEO of the NFL. He knows where the money comes from. The top 5 teams in the NFL based on value, Cowboys, Redskins, Patriots, Giants and Jets. The Cowboys are always going to be a huge draw, even in slower years thanks to their history and Texas fan base. The Pats are in a similar boat, with recent history and winning ways. The Giants are a product of some history and a huge market. The Redskins and Jets are both products of great markets. Especially considering their lack of winning ways recently. The NFL, and Goodell, WANT teams like the Jets and Redskins to succeed. He knows that with their success will come $$$. The Jets, and it pains me to say it, haven’t done **** in 40 years. They SHARE a 34 year old stadium. Their value is based almost solely on the NY market. Do you really think Roger Goodell wants to jeopardize that over a tampering charge? I’m sure he’ll do something to let teams know that it will not be tolerated, but I just can’t see him wanting to throw the book at them. That’s my objective opinion. If they did screw SF out of their 1st Rounder, then they SHOULD be kicked in the nuts. But will it happen, I don’t think so.

But, being the good sports we are, we’ll make them a deal. We’ll give them, not just a 1st round pick, but the 6th pick in the draft. We’ll give them Vernon Gholston straight up. See, we’re reasonable.
1) I don't think the Jets are as high in value as you seem to think they are. I could be wrong though... maybe the new stadium helped push them up...

2) I don't think Goodell is as corrupt as you seem to think he is. If the charges are true and verifiable, there will be serious consequences. The problem here is that, as with all tampering charges, they are difficult to verify since all parties have it in their best interests to keep their mouths shut.

Using your point, the Pats of 07 never would have been punished or having their staff have to summit to questions the Saturday before the SB concerning something that never happened.

The Pats wouldn't draft an idiot like Crabtree in the first place, so it's kind of a moot point. Like with Spygate, this is something that happens every day in the NFL: it's a fact of life, and it's not going to change.

Could be ANY #1 and no, this kind of tampering is not commonplace at all. It tugs at the sanctity of the draft and the NFL. This is TAMPERGATE and a scandal worse than anything.

We’ll give them, not just a 1st round pick, but the 6th pick in the draft. We’ll give them Vernon Gholston straight up. See, we’re reasonable.

Lol that made me crack up.

Only because I recall how high jets fans were on him at one time, pretty much saying he'd take them to the promised land.... you know kinda like how they're doing right now with Sanchez.

1) I don't think the Jets are as high in value as you seem to think they are. I could be wrong though... maybe the new stadium helped push them up...

The Pats had a very high franchise value and were superbowl favorites in 2007, that didn't stop Goodell from taking away their 1st round pick.

2) I don't think Goodell is as corrupt as you seem to think he is. If the charges are true and verifiable, there will be serious consequences. The problem here is that, as with all tampering charges, they are difficult to verify since all parties have it in their best interests to keep their mouths shut.

If the allegations are proven true, the penalty should START with a 1st round pick plus monetary fines.

Last edited:

If the allegations are proven true, the penalty should START with a 1st round pick plus monetary fines.

FWIW, a poll I linked to at Bleacher Report found ~2/3 of voters felt two first-round picks was a fair penalty.

2) I don't think Goodell is as corrupt as you seem to think he is. If the charges are true and verifiable, there will be serious consequences. The problem here is that, as with all tampering charges, they are difficult to verify since all parties have it in their best interests to keep their mouths shut

I dont think Goodell is corrupt at all, we just have a different view of him because we're Pats fans and spygate.

I dont think the 49ers find it in their best interest to shut up, losing a top 10 draft pick and his services for 5-6 years because of tampering is serious and Id be pretty pissed off.
I heard on the radio that the 49ers have a smoking gun and since they know what constitutes tampering since they got caught sounds like they may have something here.

I would say Goodell would take away two firsts and a big fine, minimum.

Last edited:

They should be forced to give Sanchez to the 49ers, PLUS their 1st round pick in 2010 AND be kicked out of the 2010 draft. That seems like a pretty fair punishment. You tamper with draft picks and you won't get to have a draft the next year.

First, what continues to bother me is when national fans label Belichick (or the Patriot) a "cheater." Really? That's BS... Oh, so no other head coaches have done something that could've been deemed suspicious by the league but weren't caught. Yeah, okay...

I don't believe the Jets will be found guilty of anything due to the lack of substantial evidence against them from San Francisco. However, if an instance of wrongdoing is found to be evident, then the Jets should forfeit a first round pick and the league should levy fines against the head coach, front office and ownership. The commissioner must establish consistency and dash any suggestions of a double standard in the NFL.

1. In Pictures: The Most Valuable NFL Teams Of 2009 - No. 5: New York Jets - Forbes.com

What's scary is that the Houston Texans are 6th in terms of franchise value. But they do have the biggest stadium naming rights deal so...

2. I don't think Goodell is corrupt. I also don't think he's an idiot. He's not going to turn over every stone to find an answer on this one. If there is indisputable evidence they tampered, he'll be the righteous hammer of Thor. I don't think it'll get to that point.

Think about this. The Pats are valued at $1.4B. The Jets, $1.2B. Now flip them. Let's pretend, cause I think that's all we (Jets fans) will ever be able to do, the Jets, not the Patriots, won 3 Super Bowls with in a 4 year period. I think you're looking at the first $2B team in the NFL.

Re: OT:Yahoo Sport's Charles Robinson says Jet's tampering would be worse than Spygat

We should be busy coming up with a new name for this scandal..

Tampergate?

Yeah. And we could stop saying we played NY last weekend... it is now officially Tamper Bay

1. In Pictures: The Most Valuable NFL Teams Of 2009 - No. 5: New York Jets - Forbes.com

What's scary is that the Houston Texans are 6th in terms of franchise value. But they do have the biggest stadium naming rights deal so...

2. I don't think Goodell is corrupt. I also don't think he's an idiot. He's not going to turn over every stone to find an answer on this one. If there is indisputable evidence they tampered, he'll be the righteous hammer of Thor. I don't think it'll get to that point.

Think about this. The Pats are valued at $1.4B. The Jets, $1.2B. Now flip them. Let's pretend, cause I think that's all we (Jets fans) will ever be able to do, the Jets, not the Patriots, won 3 Super Bowls with in a 4 year period. I think you're looking at the first $2B team in the NFL.

Check out the valuation data in depth and you find any entity in that market with a new stadium is worth what the JETS are. Difference in NE is the value of the franchise is less a product of it's mere existence (sport) in a market and more a function of it's across the board management excellence.

Notice a pattern of conduct emerging lately where your obnoxious GM is concerned? Ratgini may have spilled the beans to land a job but it was Tannenbaum used the information to conduct a palace coup and then lash out at an organization he couldn't threaten any other way and that led to more forceful penalties and rules of conduct for all franchises. Recently that got the entire 2008 JETS management team fined for basically run of the mill injury report violations. If they nail him on this one it will be poetic justice since he's the smarmy ahole who opened pandora's. SF got docked a 3rd for talking to a guy they were at one point in the process of negotiating a trade for. Talking to someone elses top ten draft pick who is holding out over slotted contract value is exponentially more egregious behavior because it undermines the integrity of the entire NFL college draft process.

Supposedly the value/standing of the Patriots organization was the very reason Goodell had to come down hard on them in 2007. And oddly we all lived through it, didn't we... Goodell cut his league teeth in the JETS organization so the whole world should be watching to see whether he's really got any of this integrity he keeps blathering about. After watching his recent handling/engineering of the Vick reinstatement and the way he inserted himself into the contractual situation between GB and Favre, I accept he doesn't have any true integrity and it's all about selective integrity based on marketing the league and self interest in promoting himself as commissioner after his own third ballot default selection to the office.

Check out the valuation data in depth and you find any entity in that market with a new stadium is worth what the JETS are. Difference in NE is the value of the franchise is less a product of it's mere existence (sport) in a market and more a function of it's across the board management excellence.

Notice a pattern of conduct emerging lately where your obnoxious GM is concerned? Ratgini may have spilled the beans to land a job but it was Tannenbaum used the information to conduct a palace coup and then lash out at an organization he couldn't threaten any other way and that led to more forceful penalties and rules of conduct for all franchises. Recently that got the entire 2008 JETS management team fined for basically run of the mill injury report violations. If they nail him on this one it will be poetic justice since he's the smarmy ahole who opened pandora's. SF got docked a 3rd for talking to a guy they were at one point in the process of negotiating a trade for. Talking to someone elses top ten draft pick who is holding out over slotted contract value is exponentially more egregious behavior because it undermines the integrity of the entire NFL college draft process.

Supposedly the value/standing of the Patriots organization was the very reason Goodell had to come down hard on them in 2007. And oddly we all lived through it, didn't we... Goodell cut his league teeth in the JETS organization so the whole world should be watching to see whether he's really got any of this integrity he keeps blathering about. After watching his recent handling/engineering of the Vick reinstatement and the way he inserted himself into the contractual situation between GB and Favre, I accept he doesn't have any true integrity and it's all about selective integrity based on marketing the league and self interest in promoting himself as commissioner after his own third ballot default selection to the office.

Well said MoLewisRocks. I really hope this becomes a case of karma's boomerang.

Does anybody here really think that biased POS in the commissioner's office has the integrity to punish the Jets. Remember that after the Jets were caught filming the Pats after the no filming lettter went out, he sent out his stooge to say the the Pats gave permission to the Jets to film which we all know was totally BS. There is no doubt that this becomes another lump under the rug, right next to the cover-up of who leaked the Pats tape to Fox TV.

Does anybody here really think that biased POS in the commissioner's office has the integrity to punish the Jets. Remember that after the Jets were caught filming the Pats after the no filming lettter went out, he sent out his stooge to say the the Pats gave permission to the Jets to film which we all know was totally BS. There is no doubt that this becomes another lump under the rug, right next to the cover-up of who leaked the Pats tape to Fox TV.

Precisely.

The NFL would take a big negative publicity hit were the vast population dynamic of NY-NJ-CT offended by the well deserved punitive loss of #1 picks. I have zero faith that Comissioner Clouseau would act substantively in public to rebuke the NY franchise.

Last edited:

I honestly didn't know that about the Jets.... I missed this year's rankings so congratulations and welcome to the club..!!

Of course, I don't think that will help if these allegations are demonstrated to be true.
2. I don't think Goodell is corrupt.
Well, your post made it quite clear that you believe Goodell would give the Jets special treatment because he "wants them to succeed" and because they are near the top in terms of value.

Considering the Commissioner's job is to lead the league without favoritism or bias, then giving prefential treatment to certain teams based on net value is pretty much the definition of "corrupt".
I also don't think he's an idiot. He's not going to turn over every stone to find an answer on this one. If there is indisputable evidence they tampered, he'll be the righteous hammer of Thor. I don't think it'll get to that point.
I think in this case he will act as judge and jury. The 49ers will get a chance to make their case, his job will be to sit back and listen to the evidence.
First of all, I disagree because the Giants, who actually have won a Super Bowl recently, are not significantly higher.

Second of all, I don't really give a crap what team has what net value. I've never seen a stadium full of people explode with cheers when the scoreboard posted that team's net value. You think Redskins fans are saying "hey, we suck, but we kick ass in net value..!!"

Third of all, I especially don't care what a team's theoretical net value would be if they had actually won a Super Bowl sometime since the LBJ administration.

But hey, whatever keeps you warm at night...

Last edited:

Tampering with guys who are free agents except for what the calendar says doesn't bother me. Tampering with a guy who ANOTHER FRANCHISE drafted (especially in September) is something that should be severely punished. In February or March maybe I'd let it slide. Not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back