PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Vilma walks on out Bounty-Gate hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no SHAM here. What is a sham is people crapping on Goodell just to crap on Goodell. Which is what you are doing. I don't care for him, but your bias has proven that you can't think logically about this case and give a rational opinion on it.

Two things...I agree, I AM biased against Roger Goodell. I do not trust a word out of his mouth. This has arisen from actions/non actions HE has taken in the past since becoming commissioner.

The second thing is, I respect YOUR opinion on the Saints matter. How much of it is proven FACT I am not quite sure but I'm not going to get into a crapping contest over it.I would just like to see it, like the Clemens issue, play out in a court of law...and I must admit to wanting to see Goodell UNDER OATH for once to see how he reacts.

NFL caught in a pretty big lie, according to their own source:

Ornstein denies telling NFL that Vilma offered money | ProFootballTalk

I am not sure what to think anymore.

I know it was pay-for-play, and apparently sometimes an injury caused was likely a "tiebreaker" as to who made the best hit, but the actual bounties to injure evidence seems more tenuous than the simple declarations of the NFL have led us to believe.

Amid all of the petty bickering going on here, isn't this development significant? The NFL has been careful with their sources, the then reveal one under pressure, and the source then steps up and says the NFL is lying?

I do not think the Saints are innocent, but the way the (lack of) evidence is being presented is pretty shoddy to say the least.

if none of this happened , why did payton and williams not deny it and instead admitted it and took their suspensions. doesn't make sense.

Why are all these players denying this when we now have some of the evidence...not sure how much more we will get..but some has now been released...morons

....I do not think the Saints are innocent, but the way the (lack of) evidence is being presented is pretty shoddy to say the least.

I don't know if they are innocent or not. However, this situation with the claims about the evidence seems to be the result of a combination of not getting the discipline taken out of the hands of the NFL and into the hands of a third party arbiter, and one or both parties playing games instead of dealing with this honestly.

Last edited:
So again, you have decided that Fujita definitely did what he has been accused of why?

You really do have a hard time READING, don't you.

NFL presents case against four players in New Orleans Saints bounty appeals - New Orleans Saints Football NFL News - NOLA.com

Here is what Goodell is quoted as saying:
Goodell said:
"In assessing player discipline, I focused on players who were in leadership positions at the Saints; contributed a particular large sum of money toward the program; specifically contributed to a bounty on an opposing player; demonstrated a clear intent to participate in a program that potentially injured opposing players; sought rewards for doing so; and/or obstructed the 2010 investigation," Goodell said in his May 2 announcement suspending the four players.

Please note the two HIGHLIGHTED sections. Scott Fujita was a TEAM CAPTAIN, an NFLPA Rep and an NFLPA Executive Council member. AND, Fujita did nothing to help the investigation. Actually, all the players did whatever they could to impede the investigation by refusing to take part.

That is why Fujita got suspended.

Last edited:
Now DaBruinzzzzzz pops up with more of Deus' irrelevancy from two pages ago and and lolDeus resurfaces with a wikipedia lesson on Due Process and more insisting that Goodell has the legal right to discipline the players (which I stated in my very first post).

Deus you seem like a moderately intelligent person but you are clearly stricken with debilitating arrogance. You have once again posted a long, bloated pile of silliness that amounts to nothing. You can continue on with your straw man and internet due process research if you want, but it doesn't seem like you understand much of anything I've said here so I'm going to move onto better things.

How long ago that something was posted is what is irrelevant. Secondly, you DID post, several times (i picked two0, that the Players should be entitled to due process, and implied that it should be regardless of what was agreed to in the CBA.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...alks-out-bounty-gate-hearing.html#post3063603

They may not be entitled to "due process" in regards to the CBA but that doesn't make it right; we have due process in our legal system for a reason. Without it you have ht potential for one guy like Goodell to hold a kangaroo court solely for the purposes of mitigating future lawsuits, and then only making certain evidence available.

Only an idiot would think that Goodell is doing this out of spite and is running a "kangaroo court". You forget that Goodell answers to the owners. If you think that Goodell did this without talking to the owners first, you clearly are too drunk to be worth talking to.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ut-bounty-gate-hearing-page2.html#post3063744

TyronePoole said:
So why do you think we have due process enshrined in the constitution then?

Basically you and everyone else who rants constantly about Goodell being power mad are now saying that Goodell's accusations are automatically believable only because those who he accuses have zero legal recourse. Pretty bizarre logic.

.... (extraneous straw man BS erased)....

The reasons for due process don't change simply because the forum does. And there's a whole host of different reasons why analogizing regular businesses and contracts to the NFL is faulty (monopoly), not the least of which is the hypocrisy of "fans" who spent the entire lockout lambasting players and giving the owners a pass only to turn around now and criticize the players for not having dug in their heels hard enough.

No one has said that Goodell's accusations are automatically believable. That is you being too stupid to follow logic. Goodell has evidence. He showed that yesterday to 12 different reporters and they all said it was pretty damning of the players and the Saints organization.

The players have "legal recourse" as determined by the CBA. Maybe if you educated yourself on the CBA instead of ranting against Goodell and showing yourself to be nothing but a player-lemming, you'd know that. It's pretty amazing that the players followed part of that "LEGAL RECOURSE" by going to the Special Masters (people determined by the NFL and the NFLPA to be impartial) already, only to have the special masters rule against them. I suggest you go to Article 43 of the CBA and brush up because it gives specifics on what and how the players go about filing a grievance.

As for your last bit of rambling about the "hypocrisy of the fans", You clearly weren't here during the CBA discussions because Deus was FIRMLY in the players side. As were many other people. Myself, i was on the fans and owners side.

BTW, there are situations where Ted Cottrell and Art Shell are the administrators of discipline. For on-field issues. But the special Masters ruled that this situation dealt more directly with the Salary cap than it did with onfield issues.

So the idea that Goodell is this KING of discipline and such is just bogus by the players and by the people supporting the players.

NFL caught in a pretty big lie, according to their own source:

Ornstein denies telling NFL that Vilma offered money | ProFootballTalk

I am not sure what to think anymore.

I know it was pay-for-play, and apparently sometimes an injury caused was likely a "tiebreaker" as to who made the best hit, but the actual bounties to injure evidence seems more tenuous than the simple declarations of the NFL have led us to believe.

Of course Ornstein is recanting now. He wants to safe face with the players. As do Williams and Vitt. Unfortunately, the NFL already has their testimony.

Also, what is being overlooked is that the league has the proverbial "little black book" that has who gave what, and who received what. And pages of this were shown yesterday to the media.

Not only that, but there are the emails and Slides from Saints computers, one of which said to "Get bounty $$$".

So basically you just trust what the NFL claims in regards to evidence against Fujita?

What part of "Fujita already admitted to being complicit" didn't you understand?

You really do have a hard time READING, don't you.

NFL presents case against four players in New Orleans Saints bounty appeals - New Orleans Saints Football NFL News - NOLA.com

Here is what Goodell is quoted as saying:

Please note the two HIGHLIGHTED sections. Scott Fujita was a TEAM CAPTAIN, an NFLPA Rep and an NFLPA Executive Council member. AND, Fujita did nothing to help the investigation. Actually, all the players did whatever they could to impede the investigation by refusing to take part.

That is why Fujita got suspended.

rofl thank you for making my entire point.

lolololol so many gems here is my fav:

Only an idiot would think that Goodell is doing this out of spite and is running a "kangaroo court". You forget that Goodell answers to the owners. If you think that Goodell did this without talking to the owners first, you clearly are too drunk to be worth talking to.

so awesome

cliffs: Deus gets all worked up into a lather because of my "moronic" assertion that people are using the fact that Goodell has the sole legal power to levy discipline to conclude that his verdict is inherently correct. He then goes on for 2 pages talking about how Due Process only applies legally to a state actor and reiterates how dumb my original statement was.

DaBruinzzzzz pops in to echo Deus from page 2 and then completely confirms my original point.

good times.

Why are all these players denying this when we now have some of the evidence...not sure how much more we will get..but some has now been released...morons

I can't tell if this is meant to be sarcastic or not

cliffs: Deus gets all worked up into a lather because of my "moronic" assertion that people are using the fact that Goodell has the sole legal power to levy discipline to conclude that his verdict is inherently correct. He then goes on for 2 pages talking about how Due Process only applies legally to a state actor and reiterates how dumb my original statement was.

DaBruinzzzzz pops in to echo Deus from page 2 and then completely confirms my original point.

good times.

Given that DaBruinz didn't "completely confirms" your original point at all, but was just showing you his take on where the basis for Fujita being included was found, and then specifically noted

No one has said that Goodell's accusations are automatically believable.

in a later post, good times is right....

...just not for you.

Last edited:
was just showing you his take on where the basis for Fujita being included was found

so you're saying he's giving you a run for your money in the straw man department :eek:

don't worry, I still got you as a 3-2 favorite

so you're saying he's giving you a run for your money in the straw man department :eek:

don't worry, I still got you as a 3-2 favorite

No, I'm saying that he answered your question by showing Goodell's position on the matter, not by declaring Fujita guilty or innocent solely on the basis of Goodell's comments. The only person who's setting up straw men here is you, Mr. "Due Process".

Last edited:
No, I'm saying that he answered your question by showing Goodell's position on the matter, not by declaring Fujita guilty or innocent solely on the basis of Goodell's comments.

So he's also continuing in the Deus tradition of spewing irrelevant information.

The only person who's setting up straw men here is you, Mr. "Due Process".

The irony in this post is so delicious I am honestly thinking you might be a pretty clever troll. If that's the case, hats off to you sir.

Serious question here. As I'm reading the daily reports over on PFT, I'm not 100% clear on the term "bounty".

Can the term "bounty" mean pay-for-performance only or must it always mean pay-for-injury?

thanks,
-F

Serious question here. As I'm reading the daily reports over on PFT, I'm not 100% clear on the term "bounty".

Can the term "bounty" mean pay-for-performance only or must it always mean pay-for-injury?

thanks,
-F

My understanding is that "bounty" means pay for injury however any pay for performance is technically a violation of the rules. The Saints were in the wrong no matter what so the punishments are valid but after how the NFL and media portrayed spygate, making it about the signal stealing (legal) and not the camera position (illegal) I'm wondering how much the "bounty" aspect as far as attempts to injure is being overplayed as opposed to the pay for performance without malicious intent.

Does anyone else think we're going to be hearing about this for quite a long time--with penalized players suing the NFL and bounty victims suing their victimizers in civil court or pressing criminal charges against them? Spygate was with us for much longer than was justified. Bountygate and its consequences, I think, will be news for years, and it's going to be bad news at that. Maybe this is/has been pretty commonplace in the NFL--I tend to believe it is. But those days are over. When the defense meets off the field, no one will even be joking about bounties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes