PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Urban Meyer out as Florida's HC, cites health problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Urban Meyer out as Florida's HC

I think he might take a year off or something, but it wouldn't surprise me if he were brought in as a "special offensive assistant" or something next fall. . . . especially if a certain Florida Gator were drafted by New England. . . . :D

Seriously, though, he's only 45, so, assuming that whatever health issues aren't permanent ones, he could certainly take a year or two off and still come back and coach for another decade or two.

Don't even joke about that, drafting Tebow would be the biggest mistake of all time.

PFT relays reports from Orlando that Meyer suffered a heart attack at some point in the 2009 season.

Mortensen reports that Meyer will remain with Florida in a non-coaching capacity.

Until Bill offers him a job. :)

He thinks his offensive game planning is the best in the nation. I'd be willing to bet they will work together at some point.

Last edited:
Complex story.

He's just 45. Doesn't turn 46 until July. Walking away from $4 million. Very religious RC. This move takes him out of the Notre Dame picture, if he was ever even interested in going back, which I doubt. Big friend and crony of BB.

If he's worried about his cardiac health (and I think we have to take his words at their face value when he says he is), he probably won't be any less worried when he's two or three years older. So, it's tough to see how he'd return to the stress of coaching at the highest levels of the NCAA or NFL.

But, as Lou Holtz said on some show last night, he might not be able to stay away. So, he might go the **** Vermeil route, take a couple of years (not as many though) away from Football and say that he's matured and learned to manage the stresses of the job, yada yada yada...

Could he make the transition to the NFL? Not every highly successful College Coach can.

Could he come work with the Pats in some capacity? Even though he and Belichick are buddies, the facility in Foxboro might not be big enough for the egos of two guys with five national championships between them. BB himself is only 57 and there are no reports of health problems (though the likelihood that the hooded one would tell us if there were is somewhere between slim and none), so a BB retirement in the next five or so years doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Interesting story to watch unfold, with the priority obviously on concerns over Meyer's health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News