PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: top 10 athletes in recent history

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Olympics got me thinking. Who are the best athletes that ever lived? Since we can't go back indefinitely we will go back about 100-50 years depending on available info and tape. It makes it easier to compare and athletes are better these days than ever anyway due to science and training. This list will include overall athletic ability, hand eye coordination, ability to preform under pressure as well as speed and power. Obviously a lot of debate can be had but generally most of these people will be those who dominated their respective athletic skill sets. Also it is important to remember these people while having great talent had great drive and this is a list based on athletic ability which goes hand and hand with best sportsman but not automatically (sorry no Brady here)

#10 Roger Federer - The best to ever play his sport precisely cause he is the most physically gifted. His hand eye is crazy and often goes for the harder shots for the crowd and makes them.

#9 Deoin Sanders - The first sport to be represented 2 times will be football. While maybe not the best CB of all time he is the best athlete the position ever had. His highlight reel speaks for itself. Speed, quickness, body control, hand eye. I don't want to sell him short as a football player but whenever he strayed from the book his athletic ability let him do so and succeed.

#8 Bruce Lee - This one will no doubt raise eye brows. However when you read and see some of the things he was able to do it drops your jaw. This is not about him being a great fighter (I am confident he was) but about the things he did with his body and at his weight that make him deserve strong consideration in any top athletes list.

#7 Bobby Orr - While Gretsky deservse mention he is not the athlete Orr was IMO. Part of being a great athlete is great vision and anticipation as well as ability to understand your game like no one else has before. Orr did these things and is not only the best to ever play his sport but a highly underrated athlete though he is considered a great player.

#6 Pele - The best player in the biggest sport in the world is a strong case in and of itself. I only watched him a bit though on a few replays and don't feel comfortable putting him any higher. Clearly he belongs on any top 1o list though.

#5 Usain Bolt - He built his body to do one thing and did it better than anyone ever did. The fastest man who ever lived and he blew the record away. The only reason he is not higher is cause he is so specialized so while super athletic is is hard to judge against those above who have much more across the board athletic in various areas.

#4 Michael Jordan - Arguably the best player in his sport but even if not he is the best all around athlete in his sport. He did things on the floor that have never been seen before or since in the modern game.

#3 Sugar Ray Robinson - It would be easy to tout Ali as the most impressive athelete of all time but IMO Sugar is the best athlete to ever lace them up. His dominance in his sport is something amazing. His speed, power, hand eye and fluid body movement were great to see. It is a shame we didn't have HD cameras while he was around.

#2 Bo Jackson - Bo would be great at anything he did. If he had a longer career he might have topped this list. Sadly that is not the case but he succeeded at high level in multiple professional sports cause of what an amazing athlete he was.

#1 Michael Phelps - After thinking long and hard about it I have to give it to him. He dominated his sport like no one else and has done things no one else has ever done over a period of time unheard of in his sport. People will say "it is easy to get a lot of medals in swimming. If this were true we would expect other swimmers to be right up there with him in medal count. Nope. Next closest has 12 and most of the top winners are in gymnastics. He trained to be the best in several styles which is absolutely key to his case. While swimming in general translates well it is probably understated if anything. Give him his due. The best who ever lived.

HMs

Lance Armstrong: I don't know if it is fair to include him or not. What he did was incredible and he was likely no more dirty than anyone else. For now I will leave him off but if I were to look past that he would be on.

Jim Thorpe: Heard great things but never saw him play.

Ali: Many would put him #1. I think he would be #11 and 20 guys can deserve the top spot. He dominated his weight class and deserves all the praise he gets for his ability.

Last edited:
Edwin Moses didn't lose the 400M Hurdles for 122 consecutive races and it took a couple of guys on the gas to get the job done. Heather McKay, arguably Squash's greatest ever player didn't lose a match for nearly 20 years. Sachin Tendulkar was alright at that cricket thing as was Don Bradman.

No disrespect to you Americans, but your lists, almost always, are too US heavy. There's a great big world out there of accomplished sportsmen and sportswomen.

FWIW, Phelps is probably the greatest I've ever seen but for all round talent, you can throw a hat over Dan O'Brien, Roman Sebrle, and your current decathlon World Record Holder Ashton Eaton.

Edwin Moses didn't lose the 400M Hurdles for 122 consecutive races and it took a couple of guys on the gas to get the job done. Heather McKay, arguably Squash's greatest ever player didn't lose a match for nearly 20 years. Sachin Tendulkar was alright at that cricket thing as was Don Bradman.

No disrespect to you Americans, but your lists, almost always, are too US heavy. There's a great big world out there of accomplished sportsmen and sportswomen.

FWIW, Phelps is probably the greatest I've ever seen but for all round talent, you can throw a hat over Dan O'Brien, Roman Sebrle, and your current decathlon World Record Holder Ashton Eaton.

Well American produces the best athletes to be fair. But yeah. I can only comment on what i commonly see. Also half the people on my list are not American.

Well American produces the best athletes to be fair. But yeah. I can only comment on what i commonly see.
In certain sports sure and America does enjoy a proud Olympic history but there are a lot of sports filled with accomplished people who rarely make these lists. I'm not sure why that's the case because it's not too difficult to find out who some of these greats are.

In certain sports sure and America does enjoy a proud Olympic history but there are a lot of sports filled with accomplished people who rarely make these lists. I'm not sure why that's the case because it's not too difficult to find out who some of these greats are.

Well make a quick top 10. You don't even need to make reasons why. I want to see what you put

According to MY ex-wife, I, Joe Kerr the Indefatigable , am easily the greatest athlete in world history after jumping through more hoops that a pack of circus dogs at our divorce hearing....:D

Aleksandr Karelin is arguably the most dominant athlete of all time. He won 3 Olympic Gold and one (controversial) Silver medal in Greco Roman Wrestling. His wrestling record was 887-2, going 13 years undefeated and 7 years without giving up a point!

Aleksandr Karelin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

karelin.gif

Sir Steve Redgrave - Rowing - Won 5 Golds at 5 different Olympics. Won 9 golds at World Championships.

I wouldn't have Bolt in the top 5. Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson were just as dominant. Its been 7 years since Bolt broke the 100m.

I personally think Bolt could be better than what he has achieved.

I definitely wouldn't have Pele in it, the majority of his goals came from playing non-league standard teams in Brazil. Not saying he wasn't a great player, I just think there is a little bit of fluff in his stats.

Not a full top 10 but athletes deserving mention.

Ali. Because this. (Can't get Ali dodging punches gif to show)

LRZwzN5.gif

Fu mingxia and Wu Minxia - diving perfection

Serena - tennis

Jonah Lomu - rugby

Don Bradman
Bernard Hinaut
Steve Redgrave
Jack Nicklaus
Bradley Wiggins

OK. I realise this is best sportsmen rather than athlete, but I think that's also valid.

Last edited:
I'd actually have Bruce Lee a bit higher. Athleticism was a focus of his, and his diet was every bit as exacting as TFB's.

I don't have enough knowledge to put together a Top Ten list, but there have to be at least a couple gymnasts on the list, since, in my opinion, it's the sport requiring the most athletic ability and training. Maybe Nadia Comăneci?

Neat idea.

How is Brady's skillset of being able to read a defense, throw a football and win more than anyone ever has not an 'athletic skillset' but Michael Phelps swimming is? I could argue swimming is a narrower skillset.
I've never understood the why we would make a distinction such as this.

There are athletes and there are athletes who dominated their sports and there are individuals who are not physically gifted but because of their skill and hard work, dominate their profession.

IMO Bo Jackson is the greatest all-around athlete who ever lived.

Tom Brady is the GoAT of football
MJ hoop
Orr all-around (Gretzky GoAT scorer)
Pele soccer
Phelps GoAT Olympian
Willie Mays baseball
Jack golf
Bolt sprinting

I'll submit that the greatest athletes of all time are probably unknown individuals around the world. For example, I've trained with some unbelievably gifted athletes while doing parkour, acrobatics, and martial arts of various kinds, but they have no international acclaim. They might not specialize in a sport with times, grades, and metrics, but I guarantee you that some of the people I've met and had the privilege of training with are truly elite athletes. Fighters and dancers in particular have a measure of grace, fluidity, body-control, and explosion that is unmatched.

I've seen circus performers do one-arm handstand presses on a slackline. I've seen trickers do full in, full out tricking combos (the double double that Biles did in her floor routine) in the middle of workouts, and then do a swing-through into a triple full (landing on one leg instead of two legs, while the other leg kicks -- the "swing through" portion -- to provide power, and then doing a layout backflip with three full rotations). I've seen corporeal mimes with such exquisite body control that their movements don't even seem possible apart from CGI, yet they're performing live only a few feet away.

I've seen more incredible things in person than I can even describe in these few sentences, and I've also enjoyed the wonders of searching YouTube and Google for impressive feats. How about free divers who can hold their breath for over 20 minutes? Let that sink in -- 20 minutes without taking a breath, and surviving. Or climbers who can scale cliffsides without ropes, oftentimes pulling themselves up with a single finger wedged into a crack? I could go on, but I think I've made my point. There are unsung enthusiasts whose athletic prowess reach historical levels of awe-inspiring, but we ignore them for these lists.

I'm fired up now, haha. Time to go do some flips in the backyard. o_O

I won't do a top-10 list because I don't think I can make an accurate assessment of all the sports out there. But in terms of football players I do believe that Cristiano Ronaldo certainly belongs in the conversation. He is just one phenomenal athlete. Power, speed, jumping ability. He has the complete package.

Jim Brown won 16 varsity letters at Syracuse. Football, basketball, track and it is said he was the greatest lacrosse face-off man of all time. He has to make any list.

I agree at what Phelps has done and the length of time he has done it is incredible.

Wayne Gretzky also has to be on this list.

Bill Russell would also get a vote from me, but I'm old.

How is Brady's skillset of being able to read a defense, throw a football and win more than anyone ever has not an 'athletic skillset' but Michael Phelps swimming is? I could argue swimming is a narrower skillset.
I've never understood the why we would make a distinction such as this.

Pure athletic talent vs skill.

Golf is a skill sport that can be played at a high level by people with poor athletic skills.

Track and Field events, wrestling, other olympic sports require an exceptional level of athletic ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back