PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Terrell Owens - "Revis is just an average corner...Revis Island getting exposed"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Terrell Owens - "Revis is just an average corner...Revis Island getting expos

I did not think it was possible to see this much homerism in one thread....

It may look like there is PI to someone who doesn't know about football, but if you knew than you'd see that it is just perfect coverage.

Irony.jpg

Re: OT: Terrell Owens - "Revis is just an average corner...Revis Island getting expos

I guess I can understand the underappreciation of Revis.

It took me a while as a Jets fan to finally admit that Brady is as good as advertised.

It's called denial.

I guess I can understand the underappreciation of Revis.

It took me a while as a Jets fan to finally admit that Brady is as good as advertised.

It's called denial.

No, it's called honest evaluation. Revis plays corner the way Ty Law used to play corner. That's great, but it's supposed to be illegal under the current interpretation of the rules. I consider Revis to be among the best CBs in the NFL. That doesn't mean he's not getting breaks out there. Don't allow yourself to be such a homer that you can't admit the blatantly obvious.

Last edited:

No, it's called honest evaluation. Revis plays corner the way Ty Law used to play corner. That's great, but it's supposed to be illegal under the current interpretation of the rules. I consider Revis to be among the best CBs in the NFL. That doesn't mean he's not getting breaks out there. Don't allow yourself to be such a homer that you can't admit the blatantly obvious.

Right, the NFL magically decided to officiate Revis differently the second he came into the league. There is only one player in the NFL than can create/change rules to his benefit, and that's Tom Brady.

Right, the NFL magically decided to officiate Revis differently the second he came into the league. There is only one player in the NFL than can create/change rules to his benefit, and that's Tom Brady.

Thanks for making my point about your homerism. You did it even faster than I thought you would. BTW, the "Brady rule" was just a so-called clarification to the "Carson Palmer" rule:

the NFL Rules Committee modified the rule regarding low hits on quarterbacks, prohibiting defenders from hitting a passer at or below the knee unless they are blocked into him. Injuries to Palmer, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and then-Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Brian Griese (now with the Chicago Bears) were cited as reasons for the new rule. The so-called "Kimo Rule", also known as the "Carson Palmer Rule", now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground.

Carson Palmer - ArmchairGM - Sports Wiki Database

the league's Competition Committee adopted a clarification of the current rule on hits to a quarterback in the knee area or below. The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs.

Brady rule: Steps taken to protect QBs' knees - The Boston Globe

But let's not let facts get in the way of you ballwashing Revis.

TO is in for a rough night. Revis is still the best CB in the league and is probably the best defender.

And I love McCourty and I think he'll be a very good corner, possibly a Pro-Bowler, but nothing I've seen has told me that he's gonna be anywhere near as good as Revis has become.

2010 Revis Highlights

1. Blowing out his hammy while trailing a dog-faker that averages a catch (or maybe two) a game.

TO is in for a rough night. Revis is still the best CB in the league and is probably the best defender.

And I love McCourty and I think he'll be a very good corner, possibly a Pro-Bowler, but nothing I've seen has told me that he's gonna be anywhere near as good as Revis has become.

:confused:

If you compare McCourty's YTD freshman campaign with Revis', I'm not sure how you could state the above.

Fact is, McCourty's ceiling is yet to be determined but his early trajectory is similar to Revis'.

If you compare McCourty's YTD freshman campaign with Revis', I'm not sure how you could state the above.

Fact is, McCourty's ceiling is yet to be determined but his early trajectory is similar to Revis'.

Many players have had good Rookie campaigns only to fizzle out or reach their ceiling early (i.e. Jerod Mayo, Brandon Merriweather). Assuming Mcourty is on his way to being the best corner in the game because hes done well playing in the 2nd worst secondary in the NFL is a little bit of a reach.

Last edited:

There is only one player in the NFL than can create/change rules to his benefit, and that's Tom Brady.

That is one of the stupidest posts I have seen here in a long time ... and around here, the competition for that kind of distinction is pretty intense.

There is no question that Revis is a great cornerback but some of these false stats being put up are amusing. He did not only cover Andre Johnson last game. He was torched for a long bomb but the WR (Walter?) dropped it when he looked into the sun. Also gave up a big catch to a TE close to the end zone and often has safety help or is playing in a zone. The bogus mythology that he is left one on one with the other teams best receiver w/o help and that no one is productive against him is laughable. He was tremendous last year. He has only been good this year.

There is no question that Revis is a great cornerback but some of these false stats being put up are amusing. He did not only cover Andre Johnson last game. He was torched for a long bomb but the WR (Walter?) dropped it when he looked into the sun. Also gave up a big catch to a TE close to the end zone and often has safety help or is playing in a zone. The bogus mythology that he is left one on one with the other teams best receiver w/o help and that no one is productive against him is laughable. He was tremendous last year. He has only been good this year.

He played on Johnson on virtually every snap. Walter wasn't his primary assignment on that play, he tried to recover after a communication error.

He gave up covering the TE because schaub had about 15 yards of running room infront of him. It was like a base runner being stuck between two defenders.

That's fair.

Quite honestly, nothing about Revis' first year told us that he was going to be this good. In fact, even comparing his second year to his third year, it was a tremendous leap.

I remember last year when Butler was playing well, some posters were commenting on how Butler was having a better rookie year than Revis' rookie year and how he might turn out to be just like Revis.

Thanks for making my point about your homerism. You did it even faster than I thought you would. BTW, the "Brady rule" was just a so-called clarification to the "Carson Palmer" rule:

If you were referring to me...you need to read the username of a post.

2010 Revis Highlights

1. Blowing out his hammy while trailing a dog-faker that averages a catch (or maybe two) a game.

You need to add shutting down the two best WR's in the NFL (Calvin and Andre Johnson) to that list.

Also allowing 0 catches in the Baltimore game, and 1 catch in the Cleveland game.

Last edited:

Terrell Owens, how you like Revis now?

That's fair.

Quite honestly, nothing about Revis' first year told us that he was going to be this good. In fact, even comparing his second year to his third year, it was a tremendous leap.

I remember last year when Butler was playing well, some posters were commenting on how Butler was having a better rookie year than Revis' rookie year and how he might turn out to be just like Revis.

dunno about that. he was pretty impressive as a rookie, and in his 2nd season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back