PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tanguay out at 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listened to 40 minutes of underwhelming radio.. Zolak and Gresch are f...ing terrible, give them about 3 months.. in their quest to be edgy and cute they sound idiotic, epic fail.

No. It wasn't. He got fired and apparently it came out of nowhere to those at the station. The person i was talking too did say that it is almost best for Tanguay because his schedule was grinding him into the ground. Weird though because he and gresh are friends.

What's interresting is what happens on the pats broadcasts. My understanding is they're seperate contracts. Person i spoke with said "hopefullY' he'll be back with the pats. Guess time will tell.

I like those insights, Wiggie; keep 'em coming.

Gresh is horrible. Looks like I'll go from sometimes tuning in the mid-day show, to never tuning in the mid-day show. Gresh might be the most annoying radio host in town. I'm not sure who's worse, Gresh or Glenn Ordway. As it is right now, WEEI is better morning till 2pm, and 98.5 owns 2pm till midnight.

Wow Gresh is horrible.

I would have preferred Bob Newmier, hopefully Zolak is next, can't listen to him.

So bingo dude. Neumi was the best on the dial until he left WEEI. Now Holley is the best IMO. Neumi would've been a better choice than Gresh. Frank from Glouster would have been a better choice than Gresh.

I thought Tanguay was great on that show and that he had to hold Zolak's hand.

Wow! This really isn't fair at all.

Zo doesn't know radio. No pro polish. Tanguay was all polish and no sports knowledge. He's just the classic multi media anchor - all pipes, no substance. Which is fine except he had developed quite the arrogant ego over the last few years, I guess due to compiling so many hosting gigs, so he was becoming a very obnoxious as well as dulcet partner with whomever he was paired. Zo is such a lightweight that anyone with bonefides in football or radio can dominate him.

And it was Tanguay who decided to play hardball of sorts with Nomar on the day he was doing his farewell tour following his one day re-signing to retirement. It was one of those days when if you don't have anything nice to say common sense and decorum dictated you just say nothing. Even Felger, who kept replaying it for chucks, felt it was probably not the time or place to take that player on. Kind of like he felt Tomasi was making a mistake writing a controversial piece the Friday before a superbowl... Thing is good sometimes comes of bold but stupid mistakes. Got Tomasi off the Pats beat and now Tanguay off my radio...

Gresh is a weird dude. He's almost listenable when he on alone, like as a weekend or occasional fill in on the old ESPN. Pair him with almost anyone and he's an unlistenable, blowhard disaster.

So bingo dude. Neumi was the best on the dial until he left WEEI. Now Holley is the best IMO. Neumi would've been a better choice than Gresh. Frank from Glouster would have been a better choice than Gresh.

Wow I had no idea that Gresh would inspire such vitriol.

I for one would not want Neumi; baseball talk is bad enough but baseball statistics are like listening to fingernails across a chalkboard.

I love Gresh. Like Pete Sheppard "he is one of us". Would you prefer the Wine & Cheese set like Al Michaels? Or the "I'd do him" comments of Felger?

If you like football you have to prefer Gresh and Zo to the baseball drivel on WEEI.

Michael Holley is good but the next time he says something controversial or radical will be the first.

I for one would not want Neumi; baseball talk is bad enough but baseball statistics are like listening to fingernails across a chalkboard.

I love Gresh. Like Pete Sheppard "he is one of us". Would you prefer the Wine & Cheese set like Al Michaels? Or the "I'd do him" comments of Felger?

If you like football you have to prefer Gresh and Zo to the baseball drivel on WEEI.

Michael Holley is good but the next time he says something controversial or radical will be the first.

I certainly hope I am nothing like Pete Sheppard or Andy Gresh. Sorry, I want intelligent sports talk. If I want to shoot the crap with someone about sports, I got plenty of buddies to do that.

There are a lot of other people on the radio other than "Wine and Cheese" guys and the "I'd do him" guys. At least on other outlets (like Sirius NFL radio) there are the informed guys who talk real football without all the grab arse.

I certainly hope I am nothing like Pete Sheppard or Andy Gresh. Sorry, I want intelligent sports talk. If I want to shoot the crap with someone about sports, I got plenty of buddies to do that.

There are a lot of other people on the radio other than "Wine and Cheese" guys and the "I'd do him" guys. At least on other outlets (like Sirius NFL radio) there are the informed guys who talk real football without all the grab arse.

No opinion on Gresh. He's decent.

I think Dale Arnold is a total d-bag. Holley is very good.

I love Gresh. Like Pete Sheppard "he is one of us".

Gresh is NOT One of Us. He's from western PA & is a Stealers fan. He despises Bill, the Patriots, and us.

And as long as Holley says what he believes to be true, then who cares if he isn't "controversial" or "radical"?

Being courteous to callers, deferential to co-hosts, and providing thoughtful, objective analysis at a listenable volume: What a concept.

Gresh is a weird dude. He's almost listenable when he on alone, like as a weekend or occasional fill in on the old ESPN. Pair him with almost anyone and he's an unlistenable, blowhard disaster.

You nailed it. I've tuned into Gresh on occasion when he's solo on the weekend, and he was completely listenable on football. He was almost DA-like, strong, but backing up his opinions with facts, at least the way he saw them. He exhibited a calm yet engaged/inspired demeanor. It was a little difficult to tell it was him at first.

As soon as he's in a situation with others, his overly know-it-all aggressive attitude overtakes, and of course, his voice does not sound good in that mode, and his demeanor over takes the content of what he's saying. It's a step-down for the listener. Big step down. When you have good content you shouldn't need to shout and act like a buffoon.

A lot can be learned about a host by how they respond to callers. I've called into a few shows. 98.5 hosts were far more able to talk legit football than EEI hosts. One show, Holley was completely wrong in his eval, so I called in to respectfully debate the point. The stuff I talked about was over his head, and I was hung up on.

I've talked football on air with Gresh and Zo. Both were knowledgable and good conversationists. I call into DA quite a bit and "geek out" (hint, hint). DA and I have had some kickass talks, and he is the best host on local sports radio. Gresh and Zo are the only legit football guys on local radio, as the feaux blue collar act on the troglodyte station is aggrivating to no end. I like Gresh,
and I think he only needs to be engaged by people who know what they're talking about to shine as an analyst.

I have read that Gresh *might* be just keeping the seat warm until Pete Sheppard's noncompete is up in May. Sheppard's Facebook page supposedly said recently he would be back on the air then, though not where. WBZ is the obvious place and midday is the obvious time, but who knows...

People are entitlted to their opinions and some of us experienced the train wreck of Zo and Gresch when they were in RI..

Is he one of us?? No more or no less than any of us, he is loudmouth sports yakker... that is all. Personally do not identify with entertainers...

Just because Zo and Gresch are paired together does not mean it will all NFL all of the time, from now until September, except for the draft and some signings, it will be a whole bunch of Red Sox... they don ot have a choice as the Red Sox are still king during this time period...

You will not get all NFL all of the time on talk radio in this area.. the discourse may please you, but the ratings would fall off of the charts..

Last edited:
I had to go back and read the last couple of posts.. i was thinking that Tanguay was fired for pulling a Scott Cordischi.. U know, drive around in the car and pick up a hooker.. But after 10 minutes of reading everything, I was let down..

I have read that Gresh *might* be just keeping the seat warm until Pete Sheppard's noncompete is up in May. Sheppard's Facebook page supposedly said recently he would be back on the air then, though not where. WBZ is the obvious place and midday is the obvious time, but who knows...

Had forgotten about Shep's NC. Not sure he brings any more value to a discussion than Gresh, but I just have an easier time listening to him.

Maybe I like Gresh so much because he is a nice guy; not nasty and mean spirited like the Triumverate of Douchbaggery (Felger Borges and Callahan). And you can tell he loves to talk football unlike the dweebs on WEEI.

I really don't think that the appellation of "blowhard" fits Gresh at all. Felger yes; definitely Felger. How much do you have to PO players for a manager (Francona) to call up the station and hummilate a host (Felger); the greatest moment in recent sports history after the infamous "Cosell Sucks" sign on MNF. John Dennis is another blowhard but not Gresh.

Just because Gresh is fat does not make him a blowhard. I don't judge someone based on their appearance. You can have Al Michaels and his fancy toupee and his Wine & Cheese eloquent discourse on the fine points of the art of the noble endeavor of football. Eeesh.

Maybe I like Gresh so much because he is a nice guy; not nasty and mean spirited like the Triumverate of Douchbaggery (Felger Borges and Callahan). And you can tell he loves to talk football unlike the dweebs on WEEI.

I really don't think that the appellation of "blowhard" fits Gresh at all. Felger yes; definitely Felger. How much do you have to PO players for a manager (Francona) to call up the station and hummilate a host (Felger); the greatest moment in recent sports history after the infamous "Cosell Sucks" sign on MNF. John Dennis is another blowhard but not Gresh.

Just because Gresh is fat does not make him a blowhard. I don't judge someone based on their appearance. You can have Al Michaels and his fancy toupee and his Wine & Cheese eloquent discourse on the fine points of the art of the noble endeavor of football. Eeesh.

Fred ... okay ... you like Gresh ... are you Gresh?

Here's a pic ... can you spot the doofus in this pic?

Jen-Adams.jpg

Fred ... okay ... you like Gresh ... are you Gresh?

Here's a pic ... can you spot the doofus in this pic?

Are we judging Gresh by his appearance here? So he has a face made for radio; big deal.

Ever seen a picture of Eric Jackson; the silken tongue voice of Jazz on WGBH? Now here is face made for radio. Makes Carl Banks look like Cary Grant:

brown_rutheric_jackson.jpg

Last edited:
Are we judging Gresh by his appearance here? So he has a face made for radio; big deal.

His appearance, his mouth, his lack of overall sports knowledge just for starters.

He gets jobs because he'll work for peanuts ... and hamburgers also ... he's a low budget solution.

This is what he is ... he is so stuck on himself he'll work anywhere just to say he is a sports person.

Seriously ... I used to listen to him when we had the SCORE
... nobody on radio has ever been more wrong as often as Gresh. Beyond X's and O's he's a blowhard.

Has he ever competed for a job with a talented person and won??? He's a sports media JAG.

Andy Gresh honed his craft under the tuteledge of Jersey 'jackoff' Red ... enuff said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft