PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tanguay out at 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is somewhat good news for me since I'd felt that Tanguay and Zolak had the worst show. Either can be annoying to listen to as hosts. That is, they can get too relaxed on there at times. Perhaps, they forget that we can hear them whenever they're yakking among themselves.

I didn't think Tanguay was that bad, a little over his head but there are worse things.

Take note that WBZ- owners of 98.5- also fired Ken Barlow with no warning recently, 2 weeks after his brother was killed in a car wreck. They should ALL be looking over their shoulders.

I'd take Gresh 100 times out of 100 over Tanguay. Gresh may be somewhat of a blowhard but he is far more knowledgeable than Tanguay and is good to listen to.

I agree, right, wrong or indifferent at least Gresh talks about football. Too bad I have a job and can't listen to talk radio during the day.

Interesting comments. I did not realize that Gresh was considered a blowhard. Now Mike Felger; there is a a guy who blows hard (he just about admits it) but I never felt that way about Gresh. Nor is Gresh mean-spirited like Callahan or Felger. He is a pleasure to listen to starting about this time of year.

Gresh is of just a regular guy you would not mind having a beer with. Maybe he is not a rocket scientist but if I wanted to get the Chablis & Cheese discussion of football I would tune into Al "Mr Snooze" Michaels.

Gresh knows football and wants to talk with it unlike most of the crew on WEEI who seem to talk football only grudgingly. Gresh is well spoken; has a remarkable vocabulary for a guy who used get banged on the head every play; and is good at articulating his point.

Holley is excellent also but gets forced into talking baseball by all the Red Sox jock sniffers calling in.

Don't let his physical appearance color your judgment of him. .
I rarely let physical appearance color my judgment of radio personalities. My judgment is colored by loud-mouthed jerks. He isn't as bad as some, I'll give him that.

Interesting comments. I did not realize that Gresh was considered a blowhard. Now Mike Felger; there is a a guy who blows hard (he just about admits it) but I never felt that way about Gresh. Nor is Gresh mean-spirited like Callahan or Felger. He is a pleasure to listen to starting about this time of year.

Gresh is of just a regular guy you would not mind having a beer with. Maybe he is not a rocket scientist but if I wanted to get the Chablis & Cheese discussion of football I would tune into Al "Mr Snooze" Michaels.

Gresh knows football and wants to talk with it unlike most of the crew on WEEI who seem to talk football only grudgingly. Gresh is well spoken; has a remarkable vocabulary for a guy who used get banged on the head every play; and is good at articulating his point.

Holley is excellent also but gets forced into talking baseball by all the Red Sox jock sniffers calling in.

If you are expecting all football all of the time, in reality they have to talk baseball, basketball and hockey.. and those three will take precedence up to the draft.. the reality as much as we would like it to be different, baseball is more popular..

But the side effect is that listening to Gresch about baseball is like listening to Smerlas or DeOssie talking about it..

Give 98.5 6 months for this experiment at the most..

I would have preferred Bob Newmier, hopefully Zolak is next, can't listen to him.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I prefer Tanguay to Gresh. Can't stand his loud-mouthed shouting over everybody else.

Gresh has his moments when paired properly. He will dominate Zolak and revert to RI loudmouth blowhard form in a hurry.

Yup ... Thank You very much ...... :ditto:

Not true in my opinion. Don't let his physical appearance color your judgment of him. He is very well spoken and knows football and has actually played (albeit in the trenches at URI). .

When he was at 630 The Score
... 2 years in a row he finished last in the football picks weekly contest ... last ... dead last.

He knows some football and he knows little to nothing about the 3 other major sports.

We have 5 major teams here ... that leaves him 4 short.

He has some appeal to football fans

... and those of us who like all sports have little to no use for the blowhard douche.

He also has no clue about other teams ... he couldn't shine Holley's shoes in the sports knowledge department.

Last edited:
I'd take Gresh 100 times out of 100 over Tanguay. Gresh may be somewhat of a blowhard but he is far more knowledgeable than Tanguay and is good to listen to.

I agree there but I'll pass on both.

Tanguay gets a theme and he repeats it over, and over, and over again.

Funny watching Donny Marshall rolling his eyes in his head with the celtics stuff.

Cannot tolerate Gresch.. he is an absolute idiot. Perhaps he appeals to a different market, than I am in.. but he lost me when he was on the Score in RI...

Can't stand Gresh either. Hes a whiny pompus azz with an eigth grade sense of humor....and his voice grates on my nerves.

Last edited:
plus..he's a disgusting Steeler sauckup..I named him Blabba the Gutt years ago at the SCORE and it still stands. He's just as likely to start blabbing about the WWE as he is to add any cogent football insight.

All of these guys are easier to listen to than Callahan.
I can't stand that blowhard, talk about a Zealot, that guy is an Extremist of the Republican party, the GOP can do no wrong in his mind, ALL of the problems in the world are because of the "liberals" etc.......

I called the show once(only time ever calling ANY show) and told him he was an idiot, it made me feel better at least.

He is BY FAR the worst in the area, they don't even talk about sports 75% of the time...I've been listening to 98.5 more often these days- still like the Big Show though.

What is more shocking, is that they reupped ,Toucher and Rich for multi years.. Wow...

What is more shocking, is that they reupped ,Toucher and Rich for multi years.. Wow...

Could be like Belichick signing Kaczur and Connolly ... low budget blue collar guys to keep the overhead lower.

I think Mo said it earlier with regard to DA. Easily the most prepared and engaging personality on local radio IMO.

Not sure if he can be as bombastic or controversial as the other clowns that get the ratings but quite frankly, I find myself listening to sports radio more...

Last edited:

I previously thought that "Imus in the morning" was the worst show in the history of morning drive radio, than I listened to T&R and realized "Imus" was the 2nd worst. That show sucks and must kill the lead in to the 10am time slot.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if Tanguay's leaving 98.5 is because of his unreasonable schedule. I mean between the radio station and his TV gig, he must have been working 60 hour weeks at best. It could have been that TV made him chose one or the other....or his wife. ;)

Don't like Tanguay. HATE Gresh. I wonder how Tom Curran would do on the radio. I like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back