PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Hmmm I read King's statement and it makes no sense to me. What would the Steelers be saying to Ben with this? "We seriously want you to stop raping. To show we mean business we are trading your best receiver for almost nothing." It just makes no sense.

What it does say to me is that they saw Santonio becoming a real problem, and they wanted to get rid of him ASAP. Now this still doesn't explain why they only got a 5th for him, it seems like they definitely could have done better. So either they A) couldnt because there are things known to NFL insiders about Santonio that would make almost every team not interested in a very talented and big game proven player or B) they made the decision to trade him and gave him to the first team who would give up more than a conditional 7th. The former seems more likely to me, but we will have to wait and see, should be interesting.

How is this going to work? According to ESPN's draft tracker, the Jets do not have a 5th rounder in this years draft.

Lol it amazes me that people try to spin this into a bad/not great move. A 5th rounder for a guy who had 1200 yards and 5 TD's and is just entering the prime of his career at 26? That's absolute larceny.

People can say what they want about Cromartie, but he's an upgrade over Lito Sheppard. He was playing well for the majority of the 09 season, and then his non-tackle in the playoffs set people off. I don't know anyone who evaluates a CB solely on their INT's. You'd honestly rather have Burgess for a 3rd and 5th than Cromartie for a 3rd? Come on.

Even if Holmes is suspended 2 games, it's still a great deal. A 5th round pick? Are you kidding me? How can that possibly be a bad move? There's a thing called training camp where Sanchez will get to work with Holmes every day, so the whole knee surgery thing isn't really anything in my mind.

It's just frustrating to see the Jets going out and addressing needs, while all we really did was bring the same team back. Yes we have the draft, and there will be progress made by the young players, but we have not gone out and addressed our needs like we did after the 06 season. There could still be a trade, but it seems to me like the Pats are banking on the draft. While I have faith that BB will bring in a good haul, since when have Pats rookies made major contributions in their rookie years? Seldom.

Unless there's something we don't know about (like suspension-wise) this is one of the biggest steals i've ever seen. Wow. Are the Jets and Steelers colluding or something?

I agree that the LdT signing/Thomas Jones cutting was an abslolute joke, the Cromartie move IS high risk, and Jason Taylor has Nothing left, so whether the Jets get him or not is irrelevant. So no, until today I wasn't impressed with the Jets off-season. But Holmes is going to make them a lot better and give them a hell of a lot more flexibility in the draft.

As far as the Patriots, I think BB might, just might, [rightly] feel a little burned by trading for/signing vets like Galloway, Lewis, Springs, Baker and Alex Smith last season, and also [possibly rightly] feels that the FA pickings this year are pretty slim so far. However, the Jets' deal for Holmes makes the Pats appear to be a bit asleep at the wheel right now in comparison.

Last edited:

Hmmm I read King's statement and it makes no sense to me. What would the Steelers be saying to Ben with this? "We seriously want you to stop raping. To show we mean business we are trading your best receiver for almost nothing." It just makes no sense.

What it does say to me is that they saw Santonio becoming a real problem, and they wanted to get rid of him ASAP. Now this still doesn't explain why they only got a 5th for him, it seems like they definitely could have done better. So either they A) couldnt because there are things known to NFL insiders about Santonio that would make almost every team not interested in a very talented and big game proven player or B) they made the decision to trade him and gave him to the first team who would give up more than a conditional 7th. The former seems more likely to me, but we will have to wait and see, should be interesting.

The message they are likely saying to Roethlisberger is shape up or we will ship you out. Although Holmes wanted to go to a big market team and is looking for a big deal. If the Jets give him that deal, I don't know how they are punishing him unless he didn't want to go to NY.

Granted if they make him play out the year without a new deal, Sanchez is no Roethlisberger (at least not yet). If Sanchez doesn't progress much this year, Holmes could hurt his market value. But if they give him a deal based on past performance before the season, he could cash in.

Let's face it... The Jets got Santonio Holmes for the playoffs ....

Great trade for the Jets.

Holmes has done far more in the playoffs, than Randy Moss.

Now both of their top receivers ( Edward & Holmes ) will be playing for
a contract.... Both are UFA after next season.

Last edited:

anyone who says this isn't a steal for the jets is joking. He is a very good receiver. you can have your opinions about their other moves but the fact remains... their offense just got alot better today

Crazy steal for the Jets. The Pats better have an amazing draft...

People can say what they want about Cromartie, but he's an upgrade over Lito Sheppard. He was playing well for the majority of the 09 season, and then his non-tackle in the playoffs set people off. I don't know anyone who evaluates a CB solely on their INT's. You'd honestly rather have Burgess for a 3rd and 5th than Cromartie for a 3rd? Come on.

I select none of the above. Don't like Cromartie. You don't judge a CB based on INTs, but it is a big indicator. So is pass defenses. Other than 2007, Cromartie did poorly in both categories. Cromartie did not have a good 2009 season or he would still be with the Chargers who are CB depleted right now. He had a mediocre season and it was blamed on the Chargers playing zone and he plays better in man-to-man.

Cromartie is an upgrade over Sheppard who I thought sucked too. But an upgrade over Sheppard doesn't mean he is all that good.

Holmes was a great pick up especially with what they gave up. I just don't like all their other moves nearly as much as a lot of people. They are more names over production.

The only negative I have said about Holmes' deal is the looming suspension and the unknown of Sanchez and whether he will progress or regress his second year. Otherwise, there is little downside to giving up a fifth for a 1200 yard WR.

Last edited:

damn as a pats fan. i would have given up a 4th for him, suspension or not. Holmes would be great in our offense. Jets will be tough this year

I select none of the above. Don't like Cromartie. You don't judge a CB based on INTs, but it is a big indicator. So is pass defenses. Other than 2007, Cromartie did poorly in both categories.

Cromartie is an upgrade over Sheppard who I thought sucked too. But an upgrade over Sheppard doesn't mean he is all that good.

Holmes was a great pick up especially with what they gave up. I just don't like all their other moves nearly as much as a lot of people. They are more names over production.

Based on the rosters as of April 12th, you would have to say the Jets are looking a lot better than the Patriots.

But, like I said it is April 12th and a lot will happen between now and the start of the season. The Patriots will need to be very active and have an extremely productive draft to compete with the Jets and the rest of the AFC elite.

Wow, you are that much of a homer? Just in case you missed it, Aiken sucks and Edlemen has yet to prove he's a true NFL player.

As it stands, the Jets have the better wr corps.

Moss - better than Edwards

Holmes - better than edlemen

Cotch = 10x better than Aiken
Aiken sucks because he was never intended to be on the field on offense.
His sole purpose on the roster was for special teams.
Lewis and Galloway washed out, so Aiken was pressed into service.
It was like having no linebackers left and counting on Larry Izzo to start and have no dropoff in production.

Aiken will go back to special teams only this year. Right now the WR# spot is open, but I can pretty much guarantee when the season starts it won't be Aiken. Could be Tate, could be a vet brought in via trade or signed after he's cut later.

As for Edelman, I'd beg to differ and say he did prove himself last year. In three starts he had 21 receptions for 221 yards. Over a full season that works out to 116 receptions for 1179 yards. Not saying that's going to happen, but it's not as if you're penciling someone in that hasn't shown he can get it done.

Congrats to the Jets for snagging Holmes even if he is in a contract year and facing suspension. But the Pats weren't the only ones that could have used him. There's at least a dozen other teams that would have or should have made this trade too.

Less about the Pats being asleep as it is the Steelers simply getting poor value in return in an attempt to make a statement to their team and to their fans.

Unreal! Why can't any of you people give other teams credit for anything?

How many rival teams called the pats stupid for giving up a second for welker and a fourth for moss? We had the last laugh on that one.

HOMERS. Homles for a fifth is a good move for the Jets.

No, what is wrong with you people! Reflex's post gave credit to the Jets. Then he predicted they would not have a good season, but he gave them credit for the offseason. What is with people? Jeez.

Re: Santonio Holmes is a Jet

I don't care how much of a jerk he is,its time to get Brandon Marshall and kind of tie it up in the receiver department

Marshalls off the field trouble scares me too much. We need to land a good WR in the draft.

You're right, but every move the Jets make is called stupid or to much of a gamble. I'm sorry people, but Holmes for a fifth is a very good move.

January 2010.

Strong Jets tilt to past posts.

Slaps on the back with resident Jets fan.

On ignore.

Great deal for the Jets. Worst case, they throw away a 5th round pick.
And they probably don't even do that unless Holmes gets banged for 4 games and then screws up again and gets another year. Even if they don't sign him to an extension, and let him walk after 2010, Holmes probably gets them at least a 5th round comp pick in 2012.

The Rooney's probably feel a cancer growing on the team with a problem child like Holmes so dump him quickly...either that or Rexy gave Danny Rooney a .......
I read this as the Steelers figuring that Big Ben can no longer be an effective enough team leader to rein in problem children like Holmes.

Jets team chemistry will be very interesting and could propel them to great things or could doom them quickly. Will Holmes and Edwards, both in the last year of their contracts and looking for a payday, resent the passes going to the other?

Based on the rosters as of April 12th, you would have to say the Jets are looking a lot better than the Patriots.

But, like I said it is April 12th and a lot will happen between now and the start of the season. The Patriots will need to be very active and have an extremely productive draft to compete with the Jets and the rest of the AFC elite.

Based on talent on the roster, every year for the last five years it should have been the Cowboys and the Chargers in the Super Bowl.

I think the Pats need a healthy Brady and Moss more than anything else this year. The draft and second free agency period will be key too though.

Re: Santonio Holmes is a Jet

We need to land a good WR in the draft.

Agreed

So we're poised to make a deep playoff run in 2014

Maybe they got Holmes to teach Cromartie how to read.....

Can you imagine that exchange...

Holmes.... What are you an idiot....

Cromartie... Listen Holmes... enough already with this **** & jane crap.

Based on talent on the roster, every year for the last five years it should have been the Cowboys and the Chargers in the Super Bowl.

I think the Pats need a healthy Brady and Moss more than anything else this year. The draft and second free agency period will be key too though.

Just a healthy Brady and Moss is not going to do much other than what happened last year. Not being able to beat the good teams and end up by losing early the the playoffs. The offense needs to add a quality WR that can immediately contribute and get some solid contributions from the running game. Also, the offensive needs another TE.

Defensively we need to add a OLB/DE that can get after the QB and possibility add another CB. The team still has many holes to fill. Just a healthy Brady and Moss is not going to get it done, they have other issues that need to be resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore