PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets

You know what? I questioned the Moss trade myself when it happened and wasn't sure it was going to work out until the first game of the season in 2007. But just because people question moves that they will work out.

Cromartie is a huge risk. Everyone assumes that he will return to the level he was at for half a season in 2007. But he could be the soft player who gambles and loses like he was for a longer stretch with San Deigo.

They are gambling that LT's problems the last two years were the Chargers and not him wearing down and that Shonn Greene can be a fulltime lead back to replace Jones' production.

These risks could pay off big time or they could blow up in the Jets' face.

You bring up Moss and Welker, but the Pats gambled on Joey Galloway last year and lost. They gambled on Duane Starks, Monty Biesel, Steve Martin, and many other veterans and lost too. When you gamble, you do risk losing.

You're right, but every move the Jets make is called stupid or to much of a gamble. I'm sorry people, but Holmes for a fifth is a very good move.

Again, when did Cromartie become a good CB? As for Sanchez, how has his offseason surgery and lack of being able to workout affected his progress especially when a lot of QBs take a step back their second year as a starter. The Jets could be a legitimate title contender or they could take a step back. It is too soon to tell. They have been agressive this offseason for a team with little options, but they have gambled a bit with the players they aquired.

He was a pro bowl CB his first two years in the league and was once considered the best young CB in the league

Defensive philosophy changed the last two years, the Chargers played more zone and played less pressure up front due to injuries

Cromartie is a perfect fit in Rex' system, Rex loved him coming out of college, and said Cromartie had the best workout of any CB he's ever witnessed

I think Rex is pretty competent about evaluating defensive talent, wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

Your posts sound are pure sour grapes and envy

Comparing Adrian Peterson to Cromartie? LOL! I was on record when the Pats were rumored to be trading for Cromartie that I thought he sucked. So the only translation is that I think Cromartie sucks, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he could rebound in the Jets' system.

Yes, because, no matter what the Jets do, posters on this board try and find a way to call the move(s) stupid or to much of a risk. Just give credit where it's due, Holmes for a fifth = nice move for the Jets.

Holmes caught 79 passes for over 1200 yds last yr guys. This is one of the best moves any NFL team has made in a couple years I think from a bargain standpoint. The LT move was hilarious and the Cromartie move was another reputation pickup, but Holmes is no doubt a steal

LOL, you are a homer.

Holmes is a steal, period.

For a 5th round pick?

Supposedly, the possible suspension is a result of a substance abuse issue or a missed test, his off the field incident with the woman in Florida was dismissed, that's my understanding anyway.

But to get this guy, only 26 years old, for a 5th?

That is a STEAL

I could care less about missing 4 games, and it isn't like he won't be with the team for the entire off-season, OTA's and training camp, it will be like the Pace situation last year.

He will be our #3 WR, and with the off-the-field stuff, it hurts his position for a long term deal.

Great deal for the Jets, no matter how hard you spin it.

On its face it is a good deal. I said that. I never said it was a bad deal. The question is whether he will get a longer than 4 game suspension that is pure specualtion on my part and may never come true.

A fifth rounder? Are the Patriots asleep or is his character just not in line with the Krafts requirements
Is there any WR in the draft who will produce what Holmes will this year? I doubt it

Cromartie, Tomlinson, Santonio Holmes and possibly Taylor from Dolphins

The Jets seem to believe that proven veterans >>counting on rookies

Will be interesting to see how it works out

Last edited:

Comparing Adrian Peterson to Cromartie? LOL! I was on record when the Pats were rumored to be trading for Cromartie that I thought he sucked. So the only translation is that I think Cromartie sucks, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he could rebound in the Jets' system.

You keep going on and on about Cromartie. What does he have to do with them obtaining a 1200 yard WR for a 5th round pick. Face facts. They just got better.

Re: Santonio Holmes is a Jet

And why couldn't the Patriots make this trade...?
A lot of other teams are probably saying the same thing.

And don't tell me about the Pats not having a 5th, it could have been conditional. Plenty of time to pick up a 5th between now and draft day if need be.

EDIT: a 2011 5th rather than a 2010 5th makes this even more of a steal.

A little ironic that the Steelers choose to dump Holmes now - obviously in response to his (and Roethlisberger's) name being in the news - a day or two after it's reported his case (and Ben's) is dropped.

On the other hand, maybe Pittsburgh had insight that Holmes is facing a suspension. Plus, he's a free agent this year and the Steelers signed a couple of free agent WRs that used to play for them already that can fill the void.

Last edited:

You know what? I questioned the Moss trade myself when it happened and wasn't sure it was going to work out until the first game of the season in 2007. But just because people question moves that they will work out.

Cromartie is a huge risk. Everyone assumes that he will return to the level he was at for half a season in 2007. But he could be the soft player who gambles and loses like he was for a longer stretch with San Deigo.

They are gambling that LT's problems the last two years were the Chargers and not him wearing down and that Shonn Greene can be a fulltime lead back to replace Jones' production.

You bring up Moss and Welker, but the Pats gambled on Joey Galloway last year and lost. They gambled on Duane Starks, Monty Biesel, Steve Martin, and many other veterans and lost too. When you gamble, you do risk losing.

The Jets are gambling a 5th round pick

LT was a FA pick-up

Cromartie was a 3rd round pick in NEXT year's draft

Where these "risks" that the Jets are taking?

Sure seems to me Tannenbaum, the Jets GM is doing everything possible to find low risk/high reward moves and remaining aggressive in going after quality talent and not having to mortgage the future to do it, despite the constraints of the elite 8 rules against him.

You're spinning your self dizzy.

Getting Holmes for a fifth round pick is a steal. Sure, he's an idiot...but he's an idiot that can play. Now there will be no need to make any draft day moves for Golden Tate - they can just fortify the o-line (Fanaca is getting old) and find some pass rushers. Great deal for the Jets...and trust me, I hate them as much as the next Pats fan.

Are you seriously comparing Duane Starks, Monty Biesel and Steve Martin to LT, Cromartie and Holmes?

And Holmes was a complete steal for the Jets even if he plays for 3/4 of the season and has an average season for him or even a little less then average. A 5th round pick? Are you kidding? Holmes is still a #2 WR in the NFL, a 5th rounder for him is an absolute steal. Very low risk.

Jets probably just moved upwards closer towards the top of the East,Braylon Edwards is always dangerous despite his drops and now team him up with Holmes and you have a serious combination.

A fifth rounder? Are the Patriots asleep or is his character just not in line with the Krafts requirements
Is there any WR in the draft who will produce what Holmes will this year? I doubt it

Cromartie and Holmes are terrific additions. Taylor would be a great situational pass rusher for them. Tomlinson is a busted up old has-been that will be as productive as my dead grandmother.

Face it : The jets have made some nice moves and, on paper, are better than the Pats overall.

Last edited:

Yes, because, no matter what the Jets do, posters on this board try and find a way to call the move(s) stupid or to much of a risk. Just give credit where it's due, Holmes for a fifth = nice move for the Jets.

Ok, the addition of Holmes will make Cromartie a superstar! With Holmes on the team, there is no way that Cromartie won't get at least 20 INTs.

Ummm.... Exactly what does Holmes have to do with Cromartie?
Holmes was a good pick up. He has nothing to do with my opinion on Cromartie. Didn't like Cromartie when he was rumored to be a Patriot and I didn't like him when he got traded to the Jets.

But as I said, I didn't like the trade for Moss by the Pats either. And I was wrong there. So maybe I will be wrong this time.

Unreal! Why can't any of you people give other teams credit for anything?

How many rival teams called the pats stupid for giving up a second for welker and a fourth for moss? We had the last laugh on that one.

HOMERS. Homles for a fifth is a good move for the Jets.
1. most teams that improve under a new coach take a step back the next year from what i remember.

2. They were lucky to get into the playoffs, once there i don't think their opponents took them seriously. Now once they got into the playoffs they did play better as a team, but i'm not sure they would have made it nearly as far without other teams thinking it was a fluke that they were there.

3. I hate the Rats.

4. On talent alone Holmes for a fifth is a steal, so something is fishy.

Last edited:

What makes these moves even more impressive is that they are getting quality players who are young.

Taylor is a 1 to 2 year move, but this guy is hungry, and is still in the upper echelon of the league at his position and what he does, he would be a situational player with the Jets as a pass rusher.

LT is younger than the guy he's replacing, and fact is, the Charger offensive philosophy changed the last two years, LT hurt his foot and then ankle, he is reunited with a coach who knows him and who he flourished under, LT is also a player hungry for a championship.

Holmes for a 5th? Christ that is just a steal.

Re: Santonio Holmes is a Jet

I don't care how much of a jerk he is,its time to get Brandon Marshall and kind of tie it up in the receiver department

A SB MVP 2 years ago for a 5th round draft pick

Steal of the century

You keep going on and on about Cromartie. What does he have to do with them obtaining a 1200 yard WR for a 5th round pick. Face facts. They just got better.

You mean other than the fact that I was responding to a poster who quoted my comments about Cromartie and not Holmes? I guess I could have talked about Sanchez's surgery again because that was mentioned while Holmes wasn't in the part of the quote he quoted.

Holmes does improve them. He was a good pick up. I never said otherwise. He was probably their only addition that I think was solid this offseason because I don't particularly care for Cromartie and I think LT is hitting the age wall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand