PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Steelers [possibly] signing Daunte Culpepper AND Byron Leftwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=444019

I am surprised that even though Leftwich has had several injuries he still has a solid arm and would have made a decent backup here.

Oh well the Steelers have a solid core of veterans at that position now - It will be interesting to see who wins out as primary backup in Pittsburgh

Last edited:
Re: OT: Steelers sign Daunte Culpepper AND Byron Leftwich

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=444019

I am surprised that even though Leftwich has had several injuries he still has a solid arm and would have made a decent backup here.

Oh well the Steelers have a solid core of veterans at that position now - It will be interesting to see who wins out as primary backup in Pittsburgh

must be culpepper realized he wont be able to start after all.

I think Leftwich wins the war for #2 - I think he is a few years younger than Daunteand probably has as almost as good an arm as Culpepper has right now.

How the mighty have fallen. Both former #1 picks, both the faces of their franchise just 3 years ago, and now they are in a camp battle for a backup job.

How the mighty have fallen. Both former #1 picks, both the faces of their franchise just 3 years ago, and now they are in a camp battle for a backup job.

I truly think that if Leftwich was not so injury prone like he was for 4 years in Jax he would have been the better QB down there vs. Gerrard - Gerrard was just more upright than Byron thats why he is the #1 in Jags country now and there is NO ONE behind him to give him any challenge for the #1 spot,although I do think Gerrard has enough talent around him to catapult the Jags to the division title this year over Indy.

Last edited:

I guess Batch's injury the other night was season ending. It didn't look good when it happened.

I guess Batch's injury the other night was season ending. It didn't look good when it happened.

They're saying the injury will keep him out about six weeks, but Big Ben needs to have a backup during that time. Big Ben is nursing a groin injury so it should be interesting to see how it plays out in Steelerland.

If Ben ever goes down the Steelers are have ZERO chance with those guys as backup.

must be culpepper realized he wont be able to start after all.
Maybe Culpepper finally fired his agent.

If Ben ever goes down the Steelers are have ZERO chance with those guys as backup.

Tell me about it. If they are both the backup, then there would be 2 QBs on the field all the time. Isn't that a violation or something?

They IR'd Leinart for a broken collar bone last season. It will take Batch 4-6 weeks to be able to lift his arm above shoulder height. He won't be throwing a football accurately in a meaningful fashion for 8-10 weeks. Will be tough to keep a roster spot open that long.

Even before they were injured, what these two lacked north of their collar bones is what led them to being dire emergency backups. Bringing them in to this situation is a worst case scenario for all concerned... And both will be again focused on their own agenda - proving to someone other than the Steelers that they are somehow viable starters...

I didn't see the Steeler's game this week - just highlights. Did Ben injure his groin doing that high five for the cameras in warmups? LOL

You can say that about every contender. If the Colts or the Patriots would lose their starting qb there would be in big trouble.

It hasn't actually happened yet, and I suspect the report should actually say that they're working out both Leftwich and Culpepper.

You can say that about every contender.
THere were a few teams that won the superbowl with subpar QBs (85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs), and at least two teams that lost their marque QB during the season (72 Dolphins, 01 Patriots). I suspect there are a LOT more. THere are ones just off the top of my head.

If the Colts or the Patriots would lose their starting qb there would be in big trouble.
Not if theire defenses stepped up. See above.

I wonder what people from 2004 would think if they came to today and saw byron leftwich and daunte culpepper competing for the back up job in pittsburgh because charlie batch was injured.

I'd take either of those guys over Cassel, Gutierrez, or even O'Connell.

I'd take either of those guys over Cassel, Gutierrez, or even O'Connell.

Lucky for us, BB wouldn't - and I know this for a fact because if he wanted them they'd have been here already... And you could say the same for 3 other teams thus far. Have to be pretty desperate to want to give either of these guys their 3rd or 4th shot at disproving their critics...

For all their measurables, they don't have a football mind between them. Both are emotional gunslingers. Been there, done that. To stick on the roster here you have to prove you can assimilate this offense and run it the way the HC and OC want it run. It's not about you, it's about us. Gunslingers need not apply.

THere were a few teams that won the superbowl with subpar QBs (85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs), and at least two teams that lost their marque QB during the season (72 Dolphins, 01 Patriots). I suspect there are a LOT more. THere are ones just off the top of my head.

Not if theire defenses stepped up. See above.

'87 Redskins with Doug Williams, '90 Giants with Jeff Hostetler off the top of my head.

'87 Redskins with Doug Williams, '90 Giants with Jeff Hostetler off the top of my head.

Salary cap era.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back