PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sheldon Brown unhappy over Samuel signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Really-Signing Asante to a boatload of money this offseason had to be THE dumbest move by the Eagles FO...why? Here's a snippet from this recent Philly article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...about-face_on_Eagles_cornerback_Sheppard.html

This much is clear: This is not the kind of disruption a team with Super Bowl ambitions needs right now. Lito won't turn his contract situation into the circus that Terrell Owens did a few years back. But he's always needed ideal circumstances to be at his best. He's never played well hurt and it's doubtful he'll play well with a bruised psyche and a contract he doesn't want.

Throw in the fact that Brian Westbrook also isn't happy with his contract, and that Brown, who signed a long-term extension about the same time as his pal Sheppard, also thinks he is underpaid, and well, it could get interesting. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Last edited:
Re: OT: Apparently-Lito Shepperd isn't the only UNhappy Bird...

I know it's completely unrealistic and all, but can you imagine Westbrook in our offense? Wow...

Semi OT: Eagles' CB Sheldon Brown (reportedly) unhappy over Samuel's signing

If this has been posted already-my apologies in advance. Anyhow-bored for the night, so thought you guys might find this interesting. This snippet is on Page 2 of this link:

http://www.nj.com/sports/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1209787525310490.xml&coll=5
Furthermore, Brown is angry with the way the Eagles have handled their offseason moves, starting with the signing of Samuel, according to a source.

The source also said Brown was angered over he and Sheppard being "lied to" by head coach Andy Reid over an issue he would not specify and that Brown believes most of the players are not happy with the message the Eagles sent last weekend by trading their first- round pick this year for an extra one in 2009.

Brown, like most of the other Eagles veterans, approached the building on Friday with a cell phone to his ear, thereby avoiding interview requests. Other veterans either snuck in through a side door or flat-out declined to speak.

Re: Semi OT: Eagles' CB Sheldon Brown (reportedly)unhappy over Samuels signing

Samuel doesn't care about any of this... he couldn't care less if his whole team hates him. His only concern in life is getting paid. Good riddance.

well they did pay a buttload of money to a corner who's the third best on the team now

Asante Samuel is a slightly above average defensive back who has very good instinct on when to cut inside the receiver on out routes.

Other than that he gets beaten quite often, as he is not a good one on one cover man, many of his interceptions have been on overthrown footballs and he will find that the Eagle defense will not be good for his style of play.

I believe that by mid season Eagle fans will be throwing eggs at him.

9.5 Million dollar eggs.

Asante Samuel is a slightly above average defensive back who has very good instinct on when to cut inside the receiver on out routes.

Other than that he gets beaten quite often, as he is not a good one on one cover man, many of his interceptions have been on overthrown footballs and he will find that the Eagle defense will not be good for his style of play.

I believe that by mid season Eagle fans will be throwing eggs at him.

I can think of one overthrown football in a particular game I refuse to name that could have at least justified the money he got from the Eagles, but he dropped that one.:mad:

I still believe that Asante will be a decent corner in Philly, but nowhere near the money he's getting.

Re: OT: Apparently-Lito Shepperd isn't the only UNhappy Bird...

Arizona is having all kinds of problems with their guys now, too, following the Larry Fitzgerald contract extension. Tough to cut ties with great players when they hit that $8-10mil/year range, but unless their status in the league is virtual HOF lock status as is Brady or Randy Moss, these big contracts can be a massive nightmare to team chemistry.

Belichick absolutely will not bring or draft a player who will upset the salary structure of the team ... this is a well known fact. He sets a price as to player / position and sticks to it. It is a great tool for locker room management and it has shown. I believe even if he wanted Brandon Albert say in the top 15 he would not have drafted him unless he could have picked him in the 20's. He would have made more money than any current OL totally disrupting the salary structure of the line. Mayo was picked at #10 because his salary will be justified by his play and future leadership.

That is a smart, smart strategy.

Way to keep the peace.

I believe even if he wanted Brandon Albert say in the top 15 he would not have drafted him unless he could have picked him in the 20's. He would have made more money than any current OL totally disrupting the salary structure of the line.

Given the average cap value of Light's, Koppen's and Neal's deals, I seriously doubt that this is true.

most of the players are not happy with the message the Eagles sent last weekend by trading their first- round pick this year for an extra one in 2009.
Players should stick to playing and leaving coaching and team building to the FO.

I don't know...I think Samuel is a good DB. Better than Lito Sheppard. He may a lot of great plays for us.

Given the average cap value of Light's, Koppen's and Neal's deals, I seriously doubt that this is true.

Miguel .. you're the expert here. But if Albert was taken high he would have made more than Mankins ... alot more.

You have Neal @2.6 mil
You have Koppen @2.5 mil.
You have Light @ 4.7 mil
You have Mankins @1.3 mil

Last years #15 recieved a 5 year @$12 million dollar deal.
Thats @2.4 million a year for a rookie...this year will be more.

That would throw off the salary structure...right?

In any case ... you do the cap you must see where he fits players in the slot where they belong. How often do you see him deviating from those slots?

Samuel doesn't care about any of this... he couldn't care less if his whole team hates him. His only concern in life is getting paid. Good riddance.

Hate to play devils advocate, but according to Asante at his FA signing press conference, the reason he went to Philly was for the chance to win Superbowls.

Hate to play devils advocate, but according to Asante at his FA signing press conference, the reason he went to Philly was for the chance to win Superbowls.

I believe TO said the SAME THING at his PC in Dallas when he was signed 2 years ago.

Miguel .. you're the expert here. But if Albert was taken high he would have made more than Mankins ... alot more.

You have Neal @2.6 mil
You have Koppen @2.5 mil.
You have Light @ 4.7 mil
You have Mankins @1.3 mil

Last years #15 recieved a 5 year @$12 million dollar deal.
Thats @2.4 million a year for a rookie...this year will be more.

That would throw off the salary structure...right?

In any case ... you do the cap you must see where he fits players in the slot where they belong. How often do you see him deviating from those slots?

Light signed a 6 year contract in 2004, for $27.3 million
Koppen signed a 5 years extension for $19.5 million
Neal signed a 4 year contract for $10 million
Mankins is his rookie contract at 5 years for $6.4 million

Assuming the rookie deal is in the same range as last year's plus the yearly bump (say 2.5-2.6 total), on OL signing shouldn't have been any big deal. Only Mankins would really have any gripe, and he's on his rookie deal.

I believe TO said the SAME THING at his PC in Dallas when he was signed 2 years ago.

You're making my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back