PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sean Payton possible next Dolphins coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsfanTN

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just hearing about this, a good move if they do it, not sure I want him in our division.

He is a very good coach, but he proves that you can't win, even with a top-5 QB with an incompetent front office. Getting Payton would be one of three steps needed for the Dolphins to be a contender. Tannehill is not a good QB and Tannenbaum is not a good GM.

He's too good a coach to be dealt a losing hand like the Dolphins. I hope he doesn't take the job.

Mangina would be more deserving of that crew. He'd fit right in.

He is a very good coach, but he proves that you can't win, even with a top-5 QB with an incompetent front office. Getting Payton would be one of three steps needed for the Dolphins to be a contender. Tannehill is not a good QB and Tannenbaum is not a good GM.

I wouldn't say the Saints' FO is incompetent. It's certainly not in the elite class of the Pats, but it's a tier or two down from that and far above the bottom. The issue they're facing now is that that they structured their contracts to maximize their chances within a given window, and then put them in cap hell immediately after that. That window closed about two years ago, at which point I agree that they made some really bad panic signings that just made the problem worse and I'm sure even they immediately regretted (Byrd, Gallette and Graham extensions). Those signings are definitely major blemishes on their record, but still don't lower them to the level of incompetence.

Most teams--Saints included--don't draft or develop talent as well as the Pats. While everyone would love to be perpetual contenders like the Pats, a lot of teams teams view that an an unrealistic goal and would rather be championship contenders within a given window than be perpetually mediocre. Just looking at how hard the Ravens and Seahawks are struggling, or how badly the Giants struggled from 2011-now, shows that perpetual contention is a freak anomaly that is possible here only because we have one of the best QBs, the best coach, and possibly the best GM in the league.

The Saints, for better or worse, took that cap philosophy to the extreme. For the few years that it worked, it worked well. And what we're seeing now is the cost of it.

Last edited:
I honestly dont think he gets canned this season. I think he has enough good will built up that he has one more year. It is like BB to a lesser extent. Would anyone seriously ve calling for his job if next year we went 5-11?

The ownership in Miami is a mess and he would be inheriting a team riddled with crappy contracts.

Payton should have the pick of the litter if New Orleans were to get rid of him. Given talent and ownership, I think Detroit would be a much better spot for him than Miami. Dallas could also be an option if they fired Garrett.

I honestly dont think he gets canned this season. I think he has enough good will built up that he has one more year. It is like BB to a lesser extent. Would anyone seriously ve calling for his job if next year we went 5-11?

On this forum? Probably.

The Saints situation is a mess. The owner and his young wife are fighting with his older children for control of the team. Benson's kids have gone so far as to try to have a court declare him unfit. (Basically the plot from the movie major league)

BB saw that Woody was an idiot and wanted no part of working for him. Peyton is an excellent coach and from the Parcell's tree. Peyton has plenty of wiggle room in NO. You have to remember he is basically the only one that has ever won there. But the Saints are a mess and in cap hell. The only way out of it is to cut/trade Brees.

I would hate to see the team of Peyton and Brees end up in Miami.

i really like payton. that will change if he went to the colts.

Yea I think things have run their course for him in Nawlins. Brees is getting up there in age and they are a mess at almost every position.

He'll have his pick. I want him out of the AFC East.

He's good but he certainly isn't great. Bit of an overrated coach. He'd do well with Luck with a good defensive coordinator.

Payton only goes there if he is given ultimate power. Don't think he would get it there. Grigson seems firmly implanted there.
That's horrible for them then. Grigson might be one of the worst GMs in the league.

If some people were calling for Jimmy The Rookie" Garoppolo " after the KC game last year, then half this forum would be...

i.e. You're right, it would be ridiculous.

A Saints fan perspective, and allow me to clarify a few misconceptions, perhaps:

A. The Saints front office is far from "incompetent," Payton's autobiography talks at great length about why he took the Saints job even in the face of so much difficulty in 2005 was because of how forthright and professional Loomis and Benson were with him. People forget, but before Payton this was still a fairly competitive team under the same leadership otherwise, they were at least in the thick of the playoff hunt most years even with one of the worst head coaches in football (Jim Haslett). But because it's the Saints and because of their history people are very quick to jump on the assumed "incompetent" label but I'd say that has not been the case for many years, at least not since Ditka was around.

B. The power struggle with Benson's family is over. He won. There's nothing more to that. Benson's "young wife" is nearly 70 years old, a respected community figure and in general a very well-thought of person. She is not just some golddigger. Look into the history of the kids in question though (specifically Rita LeBlanc) and it will be very obvious why they had to be shown the door.

C. Sean Payton is not what he used to be. I would hesitate to call him a total burnout at this point, but it's close and I truly do feel he is at least burned out as far as the Saints go. He used to be daring, aggressive, innovative. Now he's like run, run, pass, punt, and chew out the defensive coordinator. His teams used to have laser focus, now they are a disorganized mess weekly. Payton is so oblivious on the sidelines he did not even realize Brees had sustained a relatively major shoulder injury during a game until after the game was over. He played Colston most of the game yesterday despite the guy having a separated shoulder so bad he could barely even grip the football.

And there are far too many rumors of SP's pill-popping and heavy drinking over the years to ignore. There have been rumors of him being drunk at team practices and meetings. His wife tossed him out for running around on her, he's known to chase all the young girls and do the party scene. It is fairly clear he has a substance abuse problem. Those things were easy to ignore when the team was winning, but now they're not and it's just an ugly look.

I think if you visited the Saints forums you'd probably be surprised to see how many people kind of want him gone. He arguably hasn't been "THE Sean Payton" since he came back from his suspension in 2013, and arguably he wasn't even the same before that, when the federal investigation over him supposedly stealing vicodin all came to light. I think the fame and money got to his head a little bit.

My personal hope is that we can move on from him at the end of the season. Bring in a good defensive-minded head coach who can develop some of the real good young talent we've got on defense and hope Ireland hits another home run with the draft (I know it's weird to say you hit a home run in the draft when you're 1-4 but it's the honest truth). Stick with Brees for another year while you improve the o-line and groom Garrett Grayson for 2017. But that's just MO.

Last edited:
Just hearing about this, a good move if they do it, not sure I want him in our division.
2nd choice is uspposedly Mangini ... I posted about it somewhere here ...

Anyways ... Tannebaum messed up the Jets and the Dolphins will follow suit ... he sucks.

Good move for who? Certainly not Payton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back